General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Bingo Cards

https://forums.aths.org/Topic127757.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By tomchristopher71 - Monday, June 20, 2011 3:05 PM
I just read a story in the current issue of Landline Magazine and it was talking about Bingo Cards, multiple plates and various stickers on interstate trucks. Link to Story The article in print showed an International Transtar COE with all of these license plates on the bumper. There isn't a picture of it in the online edition but I find it fascinating as compared to the current trucks that have big chrome bumpers. I don't think those custom trucks would look good with all of those license plates. Any one have experience having multiple plates for different states and Bingo cards from back in the day trucking?
By newfie-trucker - Monday, June 20, 2011 3:18 PM
that was back in the day before deregulation.. your permit book was thicker than a binder now and the front of your truck would have as many as 10 plates ans smaller carrier plates on them thus creating a need for the lisenceplate holders on a coe truck you would see them coming down the front of the truck 5-6 all hooked together.. you would be checked at most every poe
By peterj - Monday, June 20, 2011 3:27 PM
Yes..................   PITA

I have a collection of about 25-30 different old plates...  DOT PUC TMT ..   not counting dupes.
By Michelle Cole - Monday, June 20, 2011 3:53 PM
Tom, here some pictures of the plates that we used to have on out trucks back in the day.

These are Texas base plates. Pre apportioned days they said Truck Tractor. 1972 was the first year for apportioned plated and Texas and Missouri were the first two states to start it. It snowballed from there.

Apportioned plates from different states.

These are permit plates that you had to have from various states if you ran in those states. The bottom left plate is a prorate plate that you put stickers on. You also had a bunch of fuel stickers plastered on the door of your truck.

These are trailer plates from different states.

This picture was made in 1980 long after apportioned plates showed up and we were still running several plates on our trucks.
By Bill White - Monday, June 20, 2011 3:54 PM
Here is a GMC with bingo platte and other plates

By rickknox - Monday, June 20, 2011 3:56 PM
Being leased to National Carriers, and being based out of Liberal Kansas we had three plates for Kansas alone. The base plate, a KCC plate to be able to load in Kansas, a KCC plate to be able to unlaod in Kansas, a Nevada plate, an Oregon plate, Wyoming plate, Delaware plate, a Massachusett plate, a Bingo plate, a New York Hut plate that later changed to a decal. The Ohio Hut sticker in the lower right windshield and a least 20 other stickers on the left side of the truck.

The permit book had a card for every state you ran in plus the bingo sticker card.

Rick 
By dashby - Monday, June 20, 2011 4:23 PM
No Texas Railroad Commission plate or a Colorado Ton Mile Tax card?  What a JOKE!

We'd haul a house out of Oklahoma into Kansas and the POE would give us a sticker for the windshield with a big K on it.  We learned to bypass the POE's--the cops wouldn't stop ya cause they didn't want the hassle to back-check the permits.  Just be sure the big K was stuck on the windshield.

AHH---the good ole days.

Hey Rick--Remember the August heat pulling out of Liberal SW down thru Hooker/Guymon or NE back thru Plains/Meade?

Dean
By dclerici - Monday, June 20, 2011 6:25 PM
Like Rick said, I can remember needing the NV, OR,  Il,  IN, and I think NM in plates and the rest in in the multiple tag plate.
By Eddy Lucast - Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:45 AM
and yet at the time we had all these different cards, permits, bingo stamps, etc. I was sent to Wyoming to pick up an abandoned truck, the previous driver must of been pissed because there was nothing in the truck, no registration, no ICC authority papers, no permits, nothing, I drove it around the western states for 3 months before the company was able to get me any paperwork for the truck. I went thru every weigh station, port of entry and explained what happened and no one gave me any grief, not even once.

Go figure!
By rickknox - Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:27 AM
Dean,

We used to unload a lot in OKC then run out I44 to exit 108 and pick up US 270 up through Woodward and over to US 83 and then north to Liberal. I hated 270, narrow with those stupid curbs and when wet it was worse than ice.

We hauled a lot of Coors Beer to Guymon out of Golden Colo.

Man, those were the days. We didn't know what we had.

Rick
By clyde318 - Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:46 AM
We had so many numbers,stickers,etc on our old 9500 GMC's at Complete Auto Transit you could barely tell the doors were Ryder Yellow.Not very many plates,as we primarily ran east of the Mississippi. Seems as if the shop wasn't too keen on removing the old decals to put the new on. An empty spot on the door was soon covered. Same with the Ohio sticker on the inside of the windshield. The last 9500 I drove before we got the Brigaderes was a 1973. This was in 1984.Had every Ohio sticker still in the windshield when they sold it.
By Michelle Cole - Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:51 AM
Between permanent numbers painted on the side of the truck, stamps on your prorate plate, fuel stickers, permit plates for various states, a base plate, and bingo card stickers although they were carried inside the truck, you truck was covered.

This old bed bug hauler had lots of them.

Note the two rows of plates on 435 

Found this the other day, you can see the ICC and fuel permit numbes painted on the side of the sleeper.
By tomchristopher71 - Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:38 PM
Michelle Cole (6/20/2011)

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/a1e8627d-edcd-439f-9ff0-1e39.jpg

What a collection you have there Michelle. Looks like the cat wants to be in the picture also. 
By Michelle Cole - Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:01 PM
Shop Kitty always has  way of getting in the picture. The plates pictured are only a sampling of the truck plates that I have. I have about two hundred of them total.
By rickknox - Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:55 AM
Shop Kitty is getting fat!

Rick
By Michelle Cole - Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:00 AM
rickknox (6/22/2011)
Shop Kitty is getting fat!

Rick

No she still weighs about the same. That picture was made about three or four years ago.