General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

What Am I for Friday 4/01/11

https://forums.aths.org/Topic118283.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:42 PM
This one's easy, that is, if you believe everything you read. Photo from Edgar Browning.

By ppsyclone - Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:50 PM
IH deuce
By Brocky - Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:27 PM
That looks like a 6 X 6 ??  WAG Marmon Herrington??
By Bill White - Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:41 PM
cckw with canvas doors
By Don MacKenzie - Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:47 PM
Overloaded GMC CCKW.
By Mike Garrett - Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:41 PM
I'm guessing GMC looking at the front fenders.
By wc62 - Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:22 PM
CCKW 353 (gas tank on the right side).
Some of them (around 1300 ) were manufactured as dump truck (H1 or H2 type) with soft cab according to the TM 9-2800 page 252.
With modified springs, the trauck was able to carry 5 tons instead of 2.5  on trail - 7.5 tons on road instead of 4.2.

Overloading - French trick: put heavy pieces of wood between the springs and the body , same with the rear axles, remove the regulator, shift low gear, all wheel drive then take off in 1st gear.  I have seen Gmc climbing hill driving backward, cannot make it forward. 
By Jack Amaral - Friday, April 01, 2011 3:43 AM
I'LL GO WITH GMC CCKW
By Gordon_M - Friday, April 01, 2011 4:54 AM
The front fender line is CCKW, but I don't think it matches the hood line ?

Gordon
By Warren Richardson - Friday, April 01, 2011 1:28 PM
wc62 - I have TM 9-2800-1 from 1953 and the CCKW dump shown is on page 234.  The cab is altogether different - a scooped out opening for the door is the primary difference.  No reference to the H1 or H2 type.
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Friday, April 01, 2011 4:06 PM
Not an 8 yard Mack by any means, or perhaps, a "cheap man's Mack" LOL. Bill White is right, this truck is a WW2 GMC CCKW 353 6x6 which is either heavily modified or heavily overloaded, or both. The 2-1/2 ton rating the military gave these trucks was its off road rating. On hard packed or paved roads it was the equivalent of a 5 ton truck. Still, I'll bet that 8 yards of rock was quite an overload. This open cab model has a shop built roof and doors added on, a common mod when these trucks were used in cold country like New York, and a rather interesting disguise for the WAI. Thanks to Edgar Browning for this photo. The photo of the CCKW dump below at work in post-war Germany is from the Life Magazine Collection. And the color photo is a survivor at Kevin Kronlund's annual show in Wisconsin.

By wc62 - Friday, April 01, 2011 9:05 PM
Warren,

I am not able to post any pic on the forum (computer mystery), so I will send the page 252 to Super Jeff to do it for me.
I agree page 252 does not mentionned any information about H1 / H2 type. This information comes from a french book about the CCKW history called "GMC CCKW a universal truck".
Anyway, H1 / H2 type are listed here
http://www.cckw.org/cckw_models.htm
  - Hope this link works.

EDIT : here's a link that works - Jeff

http://www.cckw.org/cckw_models.htm
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Saturday, April 02, 2011 8:25 AM
Here's the info Dan couldn't post. There's no doubt in my mind that our WAI truck is an open cab CCKW with a roof and doors added to close it in.

By Warren Richardson - Saturday, April 02, 2011 12:06 PM
Hi Dan wc62 and Jeff - I think that I agree with Jeff that this is the same beast.  The TM9-2800 that I have shows the same illustration with similar, but a little different, specs & info.  Thanks for posting the interesting information.
By Mike Garrett - Saturday, April 02, 2011 8:34 PM
Alot of 6x6 & 6x4 GMC's came here to New Zealand after WW2 and were used for just about any thing you could think of including House moving, Lowbed and Logging amazing today when you look at the engines and drive lines. Even more so when you look at the brakes:exclamationmark::w00t::w00t: