General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

needle nose peterbilts with 12v71 engines

http://forums.aths.org/Topic90015.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By LargeCar3406 - Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:14 PM
ive been thinking out about this for the past few days and i cant find any info. did peterbilt ever have a option for 12v71 detroit engines in there needle nose models like the 351 or the 358 models for production and soo on ive never herd of the old needle noses having that engine installed, im trying too dig some info up and i cant find anything.

Eric
By John_Costley - Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:59 PM
Eric,

The only ones Ive ever seen were the needle nose NASA petes, but those are 383s.Not sure if the 12V71 was an option in the 351, but it probably would have fit.John
By glenn akers - Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:34 PM
I am not a pete man but were would you put the engine.
By hanks1961kw - Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:41 PM
Eric, I don't know either. I know there was a extended hood 351 with a Caterpillar 1693 like the one Cam Lavin had. If anyone knows he would. Hopefully he chimes in on the proper information. I know for sure the early 70s 359A did have some extended hoods with twelve packs.

I do remember being at the Fontana 2004 ATHS convention and seing a 1950s butterfly hood Kenworth parked next to our wrecker with a 12v71 horseshoed in it.But I am pretty sure it was repowered.

Hope someone has better information. HANK
By Jim Rose - Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:47 PM
A trucking company out of Minnesota had some narrow Petes with 12V- 71s in them. I seem to remember it was Schano but am not sure.

As for extended hood 351 Petes, I had one that came with a Hall Scott. I do not know if all Hall Scott equipped 351s had the extended hood.
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:12 PM
The NASA Petes are 351STL6x6's, and they were built in the late '60's or early '70's. NASA still runs 4 of the original 5 every day. They have all been re-cabbed with the newer style cab with the Corvette dash. They will probably go up for auction within a few years.

By dieselsmoke - Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:01 PM
Eric, good question. I have been looking for them as well and only know of mine, the 75 359 on u tube, the Nasa petes A 73 359 they talked about on here A few years back. It doesent seem like very many survived. It does Seem like the 12v71 Kenworths out number the Petes 2 to 1 I know if I lived in Minnesota I would be looking for one of those Shano trucks.
By hanks1961kw - Tuesday, June 22, 2010 6:23 PM
I believe the blue extended hood small window Peterbilt in the Tombstone Run 2009 video has a 12v71 might have been factory.

Check it out it comes out in minutes 1:04,3:05, 4:25:5:40. The whole video is so cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nSLx1tt5Gk

Just realized you are asking about needle noses. Oh well the extended hood small window cabs are cool too.
By dieselsmoke - Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:00 AM
Jeff, did nasa ever give any reason for recabing the peterbilts? Kind of two bad they don't still have the unilites.What happend to the fifth truck
By Scott Smith - Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:10 AM
Eric,

Peterbilt did offer the 12V71 in 351 "needlenose" models.  As near as I can tell they made very few.  I have the cab off of a '68 351 that was factory V-12 powered.  Got the line sheet from ATHS to verify.

In Pleasanton, Ken Talley introduced me to a fellow from Canada that is restoring another factory V-12 351.  I know of no others.

I think the 1693 powered 351's (and 1676 repowered 351's) had a 125"BBC.  The 12V71 351's had a 127" BBC.

I also would be very interested to see one of these trucks!
By LargeCar3406 - Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:01 AM
hank i like the 359 with the unilite cab very much as a matter of fact i read that when the 359 first came out in 67 they used that cab untill 1972 somwhere and then switch being that 359 has a a 12v71 is an extened hood and has a unilite cab its gotta be one of the rarest of the rare 359's ive only seen a few pictures of a 359 with a unlite cab its my favorite but being how rare it sounds like its in impossable to find one that trucks absoulty in perfect condition that gmc 950 with 671 that was follwing it was an amazing sight espically the sound notice how they both sound very simlar but ones got 6 cylinders more then the other

dieselsmoke try and give this vidoe a shot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0zfzTrejU0 i cant get enough of this truck i just think of this engine in a 351 extened hood and would be the baddest of the bad it would turn soo many heads i wanna build one down teh road but i tihnk the biggest problem is finding a 351 long hood ive barley seen one and then there the option too take a 359 and take a chunk out of the top of the hood in trick my truck they took a 379 and did that and it made look like a 358 it looked awsome so that might be an easier way who knows. everytime i watch this video of the 75 that demon like nose coming threw those pipes it takes me too a different world at 1:51 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tbkxsN7W0U&feature=channel it makes me want one in the worst way

jeff yea those nasa 351's are serious i really wonder what they'll go fior at auction down the road should be intresting

scoot yea i could have sworn i found somthing yesterday saying that tehre were 127"bbc hoods too fit the 1693 cats and 12v71's soo yea thats about right man id would love too see that truck that kens freind is restoring that 351 with the v12 thats gotta be a one in a million too see that in person

i orginally was looking at couple 351s with 8v71s engines for 2-$4,000 range but all were the regular sized hood soo it wouldnt be possable too put a 12v71 into one of those trucks i would love too have a 351 with 8v71 but id rather have the 12v71 in a 359 or at least take a 359 hood shave it down and mmaybe find a unilite cab for it in the long run if im gonna spend the money but thats easier said then done
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:33 PM
dieselsmoke (6/23/2010)
Jeff, did nasa ever give any reason for recabing the peterbilts? Kind of two bad they don't still have the unilites.What happend to the fifth truck

Fred, the rust mites got to them I'm sure, nearly all NASA's vehicles at KSC sit outside and the salt air is not kind to them. The 5th truck was parted out and auctioned off a few years ago, there was only the cab, fenders, and chassis left. They kept the engine and transmission, I don't know what happened to the nose.

By Jim Rose - Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:41 PM
If the extended hood 351 Pete had the thin radiator it measured 125 inches bumper to back of cab. If it had the thick radiator it measured 127 inches. The side pieces on the grill of the thin one had 2 bolts at the top, the thick radiator one had 3 bolts.

LargeCar3406 (6/23/2010)
hank i like the 359 with the unilite cab very much as a matter of fact i read that when the 359 first came out in 67 they used that cab untill 1972 somwhere and then switch being that 359 has a a 12v71 is an extened hood and has a unilite cab its gotta be one of the rarest of the rare 359's ive only seen a few pictures of a 359 with a unlite cab its my favorite but being how rare it sounds like its in impossable to find one that trucks absoulty in perfect condition that gmc 950 with 671 that was follwing it was an amazing sight espically the sound notice how they both sound very simlar but ones got 6 cylinders more then the other

dieselsmoke try and give this vidoe a shot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0zfzTrejU0 i cant get enough of this truck i just think of this engine in a 351 extened hood and would be the baddest of the bad it would turn soo many heads i wanna build one down teh road but i tihnk the biggest problem is finding a 351 long hood ive barley seen one and then there the option too take a 359 and take a chunk out of the top of the hood in trick my truck they took a 379 and did that and it made look like a 358 it looked awsome so that might be an easier way who knows. everytime i watch this video of the 75 that demon like nose coming threw those pipes it takes me too a different world at 1:51 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tbkxsN7W0U&feature=channel it makes me want one in the worst way

jeff yea those nasa 351's are serious i really wonder what they'll go fior at auction down the road should be intresting

scoot yea i could have sworn i found somthing yesterday saying that tehre were 127"bbc hoods too fit the 1693 cats and 12v71's soo yea thats about right man id would love too see that truck that kens freind is restoring that 351 with the v12 thats gotta be a one in a million too see that in person

i orginally was looking at couple 351s with 8v71s engines for 2-$4,000 range but all were the regular sized hood soo it wouldnt be possable too put a 12v71 into one of those trucks i would love too have a 351 with 8v71 but id rather have the 12v71 in a 359 or at least take a 359 hood shave it down and mmaybe find a unilite cab for it in the long run if im gonna spend the money but thats easier said then done
By JeffLipinski - Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:22 AM
Jeff- what's the little muffler on top of the exhaust?  Spark arrestor?
By dieselsmoke - Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:10 AM
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Friday, June 25, 2010 6:05 PM
JeffLipinski (6/24/2010)
Jeff- what's the little muffler on top of the exhaust?  Spark arrestor?

Jeff, that's exactly what it is, for driving into potentially hazardous environments where a spark could ruin your day .....
By LargeCar3406 - Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:18 AM
dieselsmoke (6/24/2010)

man thats nice i wonder how much a truck like would go for brand new ordered from peterbilt back in its day? hey by the way fred did u ever pick ur 359 yet or is still tucked away in the sellers barn? 

Eric
By dieselsmoke - Sunday, June 27, 2010 1:10 PM
Eric,

That peterbilt is like mine except mine has the 127" bbc a taller bumper and the four headlight setup. It has a short wheelbase and the fuel tank/step with with battery box behind that and the spoke wheels. I am going to use this paint scheme on my truck so mine should look just like it. It is still in the barn, I am going to be building a shelter for it very soon and bringing her home. Its in a safe place right now and out of the weather.I will do a post on it when I bring it home.
By LargeCar3406 - Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:02 AM
dieselsmoke (6/27/2010)
Eric,

That peterbilt is like mine except mine has the 127" bbc a taller bumper and the four headlight setup. It has a short wheelbase and the fuel tank/step with with battery box behind that and the spoke wheels. I am going to use this paint scheme on my truck so mine should look just like it. It is still in the barn, I am going to be building a shelter for it very soon and bringing her home. Its in a safe place right now and out of the weather.I will do a post on it when I bring it home.

fred yea that paint scheme will look nice on old girl keepin it orginal. any color combinations u thought of yet? ill deffenetly be lookin foward to hearin her finally come home
By jeff corona - Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:05 PM
12v71 how long is the engine front to back i"m working on a autocar a10264 and would like to put that engine in there.  the truck needs part going to another truck to make one nice old truck. 
By LargeCar3406 - Sunday, January 09, 2011 9:40 PM
i have just came across this with what looks to be a peterbilt 383 with a 12v71 it was just posted today:) if this is orginal then this would be worth big $$$

Eric
By Wolfcreek_Steve - Sunday, January 09, 2011 9:48 PM
Over all length including fan and flywheel housing 62"
By junkmandan - Monday, January 10, 2011 3:37 AM
The only time that video sounds anything like a Detroit is when it backs toward the trailer  .

Jeff-----Keep in mind that a flange mount air compressor will extend another 6-8 inches behind the flywheel housing mounting face .