General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Obsolete oil filters

http://forums.aths.org/Topic188337.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Darbyogill - Tuesday, July 02, 2019 6:44 AM
I inherited my Father's 1951 GMC 950 in 2004, and after driving it a couple times a year since then, I decided it was probably long overdue for an oil change. It has a couple of chromed cans on a platform casting on the driver's side of the engine, with inserted cartridge filters. I checked around, and found out that Wix made almost all these types of filters over the years so I called them, and they said they quit making them in 2008. Does anyone have any of these, or any suggestions on what I can do about the situation.. I am currently soaking them in diesel to try to rinse them out so I can re-use them until I can figure out how to convert to another filter type or something. I have to drive the truck to a show on July 12, so don't have much time to do anything right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
By Darbyogill - Tuesday, July 02, 2019 6:47 AM
I forgot one detail,,, the engine is a 6-71 Detroit.
By jimfols - Tuesday, July 02, 2019 1:45 PM
By Swishy - Tuesday, July 02, 2019 7:23 PM
Could it B a Luberfiner like wot twaz fitted to Kenworths

WotSezU?

cya
By Darbyogill - Wednesday, July 03, 2019 4:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. The dimensions are wrong compared to mine. I talked to Oil Filter Service Co. rep. and he said that I'm pretty much up the creek. Absolutely no one makes the filters any more, so I'm gonna have to come up with a different filter system entirely.
By Darbyogill - Wednesday, July 03, 2019 4:54 AM
I don't think it's a luberfiner system. It is a casting mounted right on the side of the engine with two chromed sleeves with lids inside of which are the filter cartridges. I'd like to keep the original look of it, so I'm thinking I can possibly make adapters that will take a couple of spin-on type filters that fit where the old cartridges were, and can be inside the original sleeves so it will look original.
By Geoff Weeks - Wednesday, July 03, 2019 11:05 AM
If it is an early 6-71 those are bypass filter, you can leave them in there and they will cause not harm. I have a similar engine. I know that Baldwin makes a lot of older filters.
I haven't opened mine up but if you get me the dimensions I might be able to find one.
Mine has AC 12121 on the filter
By Geoff Weeks - Wednesday, July 03, 2019 12:01 PM
If I get time, I'll pull mine and get some dem's. Since there is no full flow filter on these old 6-71 only bypass, any bypass element that will fit snuggly on the center pipe and is of the same aprox height should work.
By Geoff Weeks - Thursday, July 04, 2019 5:53 AM
Closest I can find is wix 57375 which is a "sock" filter so will look different than the metal that is in there now. Should fit and work, but might need a washer for the spring on the top to sit on, in place of pushing directly on the filter itself.
The Wix's is apporx the same height and diameter, with the same center hole size. Both old and new are depth media for bypass service.
Edit, On a 2nd look, it doesn't look like that filter has a hole on both ends, so still looking. Elsewhere it does say it has a 11/16" opening on both top and bottom, so I guess you'll have to get one and see.
Another filter that has the right measurements but is for full flow filtering is the WL10064 Wix
By Norm W. - Thursday, July 04, 2019 4:46 PM
I checked the numbers on the filters I have for my 1953 6-71. The cartridge filter is a Wix number CW-155-M. I have a feeling that those numbers are waaaaay out of date. But I stocked up a few years ago. The other filter is a sock filter, the fellow at Wix called it an "Elephant Tampax". Those they didn't have. I believe the cartridge is a full flow and the other is a bypass. But I could be corrected. If you find out if they have something that will work I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would like the information. I'm using Kendal oil, SAE 40. I don't run in the winter, so I don't have to think about trying to start with the heavy oil. It does cut down on oil consumption.
By Geoff Weeks - Friday, July 05, 2019 1:22 AM
The two filters side by side on a cast bracket are both bypass filter. Early truck engines only had bypass filters. Coach engines of that era had full flow "strainer" according to the maintance manual I have from that time period. So both the metal cartridge and the sock are bypass.
From what I can find they (metal cartage) are discontinued by the major mfg I can check. Which is why I suggested the sock filter as a replacement.
By Darbyogill - Thursday, July 25, 2019 10:52 AM
Sorry this has taken so long for me to reply, but summer is busy. I have changed the oil, and just washed out the old filters for a temporary fix. I installed a new oil line from the engine block to the filter casting, as the old one was a little "iffy". I ran the truck about 250 miles, and the oil still looks ok, but I guess that doesn't really prove anything :-) I have purchased two spin-on filters #51754 from WIX which have bypass valves in them, and filter down to (I think) 16 microns. I will be making a base plate that screws into where the center hollow bolts go currently. I'll screw the new filters onto that base plate, and also have a bail type setup that will go up both sides of the spin-ons with a stud at the top so I can slip the original cans over the filters, put the lids on, and put the nuts on the studs to hold the cans in place so all will look original. I will try to get pictures of the process as I make them, and will post here when I get it done. It may be this next winter before I get time. Thank you all for your great info and suggestions.
By Darbyogill - Thursday, July 25, 2019 11:18 AM
PS. Just a little more info...I found out, as I got into this project, that the oil going through the hose from the block to the filters can be totally blocked off without hurting anything, as it is bypassed from somewhere and is not on the pressure side of bearings. It could also just return to the pan without even being filtered without any immediate harm to the engine, but would eventually cause harm from having unfiltered oil, long term. knowing that, I decided to check the line for pressure with a guage. I blocked it off with a plug, and tee'd in the pressure guage. It read the same pressure as the guage in the dash up to part throttle, but quit climbing after that point, so was obviously bypassing at partial engine oil pressure. I left the guage in the line after hooking it back up to the filters, so now it shows lower pressure, as the oil is free to flow through the filters. As the filters plug up, the guage should show an increase in pressure up to the maximum before bypass.That will give me just one more way of knowing when to change filters. I drained out the multi-weight oil (Delo) and replaced it with 40 weight low ash Shell Rotella. The oil pressure went up quite a bit over the old oil, but that could be because the old stuff was getting watery thin, also.
By Geoff Weeks - Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:55 PM
Ahh, no! You've got the wrong type filter (the spin ons) are for a full flow filter system The old Detroit has a BYPASS FILTER. As you found you can plug it off (and get no oil filtration) or leave the old elements and get some filtration.
Bypass filters are in parallel with the bearings, FULL FLOW filters are in series (and before the bearings).
Bypass filters have no bypass valve in them (no need, if they clog, no oil goes thru them and all the dirty oil goes to the bearings)
Either install a modern 6-71 oiling system with the full flow filter down at the pan level, or leave the old filters and install the element I mentioned.
In order to use the spin on filters you bought, you have re-route the oil from the oil pump to the filters then back to the engine, doing anything else is a waste of time.
You can't mix types of systems.
By Swishy - Thursday, July 25, 2019 2:56 PM
FWIW
Wen we do an oil change
we fill the new filters with oil
then fill the sump etc
cya
By Geoff Weeks - Thursday, July 25, 2019 3:21 PM
Swishy (7/25/2019)
FWIW
Wen we do an oil change
we fill the new filters with oil
then fill the sump etc
cya

Not sure what this has to do with bypass vs. full flow oil filter plumbing, but it is common practice for what it is worth.