General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

whats your favorite truckstop

http://forums.aths.org/Topic147422.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By dirtywhiteboy - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:58 AM
from old days....best food best sevice an best location...

1.pliny's truck stop,pliny wva on rt 35

2.charlyT's truck stop,st agustine fl us1 an 95

3.samone's (wont t/s but had 100 trucks parked there) fontana cali

4.gerald's truck stop on 95 in northern va

5.white marsh truck stop rt40 near dundalk md(near port)
By Geoff Weeks - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:08 AM
Dysarts

Howell (Kittery, old t/s not sure if it still there)

Diamond J's (Brookfield,PA long gone)

Yellowstone T/S (Livingston, MT)

Eddys corner (Moore, MT)

London Husky (London, ON)

Most others are either forgetable, or have been gone so long I've forgot them.
By wayne graham - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:23 AM
Geoff, While many come to mind I will have to agree Dysarts is a class act. Any one who has personally become acquainted with them will never forget. Wayne
By Brocky - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:31 AM
Some of mine are just restraunts with truck parking:

Ester's Restraunt on old Rt 22 Fredricksburg PA

Racoon Valley on I-75 north of Knoxville

Stop 1 Richmond Ind

Big Country on I20 west of Abilene

The cattle auction barn on I35 exit 351 in West Tex.

Dysarts in Bangor

Snowshoe PA the restraunt straight ahead at the end of the ramp
By ehrldawg - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:58 AM
k&h,gilman,il
By Michelle Cole - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:52 AM
Sheriff's Western Texaco, Los Cruses N.M. long gone

The Wagon Yard, Van Horn Texas long gone.

Shady Grove, Road Forks N.M. long gone.

Old Triple T, Tucson AZ. still in operation but not near the truck stop it once was.

84 Truck Stop, Tucson, long gone.

Les Fullers, Colorado City Texas, Not sure if it is still there or not.

Bridges Travel Center, Cusseta Alabama. Still operating

Phillips 66 Truck stop, Big Spring Texas, long gone.

Dixie Truckers Home, McLean ILL.

Johnsons Corner US87 and now I 25 Between Denver and Chyenne WY.

Red Hot, Mederian MIss. Long gone.

There are so many that I can no longer remember the names of a lot of them.
By dirtywhiteboy - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:29 PM
the BAR-B gordon tx....teds bull pen qurtsite az,..

mechelle,..you right bout TTT,...i liked shady grove too

remember the tiger truck stop in la,...artical in overdrive bout court order live tiger to be removed
By MikeHarbison - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:50 PM
Iowa 80 at Walcott is my all time favorite.

Cameron,MO,jct. of I 35 and 36

18 Wheeler in Taylor,MO

Other good ones  I used to frequent that are no more:

Hawk I Truckstop at Coralville exit of I-80

Cyclone Truckstop on 30 at Ames,Iowa

Grandview Corners at jct. of 61 and 92
By Terry Tombaugh - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:54 PM
Diamond J's... Was that the home of the "Bozo Burger"?  If you ate the whole thing it was free...

T.
By Geoff Weeks - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:01 PM
Forgot Arlene's in Battle Creek, MI. They made a pot roast to die for... slow cooked all day and sold out early.
By 359er - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:24 PM
Marys truckstop just south of Dons Truckstop at Lansing Mi. Also Snowsnake truckstop at Lk George Mi. on US 127 south of Houghton Lk Mi. Ellis Oasis at M59 and US 23 North of Brighton Mi. Toledo 5 at I280 and Ohio Tpk. On and on.
By Michelle Cole - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:47 PM
dirtywhiteboy (12/28/2011)
the BAR-B gordon tx....teds bull pen qurtsite az,..

mechelle,..you right bout TTT,...i liked shady grove too

remember the tiger truck stop in la,...artical in overdrive bout court order live tiger to be removed

I remember the Tiger truck stop at Grosse Tete LA. The food was garbage, but the tiger was worth stopping by to see. The better truck stop was on the north side of I-10 at the same exit.
By Robby359 - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:32 PM
Brocky in case you don't know they tore down Racoon Valley a few years ago. Now there's a Pilot across the road from where it was. The old truckstop was a vacant lot the last time I looked over there. I only got to eat there once but I remember it being good.
By Jesse - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:33 PM
Snyder's Gateway in Breezewood, not the same as it was in the 50's that's for sure.  We stopped there when I was a little guy.  Used to get in there a couple times a month. 

Peggy's Truckstop and Diner in Claysburg PA on US 220.  Great food in the early '60's.

Transit Truck, U.S. 1 between Beltsville and Laurel, MD.  before they moved to the "new" Transit Truck Stop in Millersville, MD.  Food their is still pretty good.  BW Chapter meets there to form the Macungie Convoy.  Arrive early and eat breakfast.       

Just found the North American Truck Stop Network Directory http://www.natsn.com/ 

CSays it is the NATSN is the oldest Nationwide Network of Independently Owned Truck Stops.  It is certainly not a list of all of them. 
By Kid - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:30 PM
...all the Bingo's, Kings were close.. (all gone)
TTT
T/A Mesquite
Clines
Wildwood Fla (the older one)
76 in Winnemucca (gone)
Ontario 76 (south side)
IA80
Boomtown (now gone)
one near Kingman (?)

definitely NOT the South Holland 76 or the N.Houston 76 or the Romulus 76
By Eddy Lucast - Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:12 AM
MikeHarbison (12/28/2011)
Iowa 80 at Walcott is my all time favorite.

Cameron,MO,jct. of I 35 and 36

18 Wheeler in Taylor,MO

Other good ones  I used to frequent that are no more:

Hawk I Truckstop at Coralville exit of I-80

Cyclone Truckstop on 30 at Ames,Iowa

Grandview Corners at jct. of 61 and 92

I ate at the 18 Wheeler on a regular basis, I ran hiway 6 from Laredo to the river and back twice a day. Also at Cameron but it was only 35 minutes from the house so not so much. You left out the Wayfarer at the junction of US 36 & 24. I'm not sure if you were around when the Rocket was still there. It was a couple hundred yards west of the Wayfarer and directly across from the scales. I just can't help grinning everytime I go thru there now, no stop light at the end of the river bridge and then up the hill, no scale house either LOL, I used to be a first name basis with those folks. Mr McPike seemed to always want to talk to me.
By Michelle Cole - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:32 AM
Kid (12/29/2011)
...all the Bingo's, Kings were close.. (all gone)
TTT
T/A Mesquite
Clines
Wildwood Fla (the older one)
76 in Winnemucca (gone)
Ontario 76 (south side)
IA80
Boomtown (now gone)
one near Kingman (?)

definitely NOT the South Holland 76 or the N.Houston 76 or the Romulus 76
Kid, the srop near Kingman you speak of was a nice truck stop and had decent food too. Like you, I can't remember the name of it. I also do not remember the name of the one at Flagstaff, it was a pretty good one too.. We were running with a fellow once across there that had a very high powered radio in his truck. If you were with in hundred yards of him he would be on every channel of your CB. We pulled into the stop at Kingman and when I went into the restraurant he was on the juke box. Alan ran back out side and told him to shut it down he was on the juke box in the cafe. He had a ham radio and talked to people all over the world.
By 352 pete - Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:08 AM
T/A in Lodi Ohio (food is always good)

Lee Hi on I-81 Ex 195 (good food,lots of parking, but the showers suck!)

The Dodge City Travel Center on I-65 ex 299 in Alabama  (now a PETRO as of 3 weeks ago)

***Tons of parking, good food, excellent showers! 

Glade Springs Petro (lots of parking, food OK, Clean Showers)
By newfie-trucker - Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:54 AM
White's truckstop in raphine va has good food and a large collection of antique motorcycles and firearms and knives...

the TA at lodi ohio (on the right by the truckwash) served good food but parking there could be tight at times
By Michelle Cole - Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:03 AM
The old Kelly's truck stop in Shreve Port LA. was a good one. The original Kelly's was on old US 80, but moved to I-20 when it opened up. It was a Union 76 then and had pretty good food. A lot of the old Pure stops had good food back in the day as did a lot of the 76's when they took over Pure. As time went on the quality of most of those stops started to go down.
By Tony Brown - Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:03 PM
Little America is a great place.
By Tony Brown - Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:22 PM
Lee Hi is a great place to eat and always parking but its going T/A on the fuel so thats out the window.

Same guy owns Whites now, its a Petro.
By dashby - Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:36 PM
Hensley's on US 66--west side of El Reno, OK had fantastic food.  Always ate two pieces of blueberry or egg custard pie.  Sometimes hard to park with all the Transcon and Yellow Transit freighters.

Dean
By KeithC - Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:30 PM
Lee-Hi was great until Bobby started the expansion in the mid to late 90's, last time I stopped there I nearly walked out without ever getting my order in the restaurant, 45 minutes to get a burger and fries....Bobby used to be a regular fixture in the old restaurant, would come in to eat and walked around talking to everyone. Guess those days are gone forever.

Penn Can in Harford PA is still a good place, hasn't changed much since they opened in 1962.

Pine Grove PA used to be a good one, went downhill in the late 90's, last I knew it was a Pilot.

The old Boron truck stops along I80 in PA were pretty decent.

Today's all stars all want to stop somewhere they can park easily because half of them can't back up, get a gut bomb and hit the road, eating with one hand while yapping on their hands free cell phones, if they use them a hands free that is) .

Bedo Junction in KS was a good place back in the day.

By scsiguy - Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:20 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Babe's Truck Stop on the north side of Muncie, IN - SR 28 just east of old US35 on the north side at the railroad tracks. It was pretty much a restaurant/motel with little cabins in the rear.  It was run by Babe Schwartz.   It's been gone for at least 30 years or so.  I remember seeing it, but wasn't trucking at that time so didn't pay any attention.  Anyway, I remember the story told by Dale H. about he and Darrell B. and Harry D. stopping there to eat while hauling grain years and years ago.  They/we were all kids then.   Dale and Harry knew that the place was a full blown whorehouse, but Darrell didn't.  As they eating, the waitress filled up the coffee.  Darrell thanked her and she asked "You wanna F....."  Darrell spit the food in his mouth across the table.  Dale and Harry about died laughing.  I can still picture that today even though two of the guys are gone now.
By Kid - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:20 PM
Michelle, was it Flagstaff or Gallop? I couldnt remember, so didnt list it. There was one on US54 somewhere before I40, cant rememeber that name either..was it Tucumcari or ?.  I usually just fueled, showered and ate, then parked elsewhere to sleep, at most of them. Only camped out in the TSs when stuck on the weekends,, on party row...........might as well do it up right..  except for Mesquite where I got stuck for 5days in the heat storm, fired up the reefer, stacked the pallets(bar and card tables), partied, played cards, polished the truck.. that was a good week., we hadalmost 80 trucks crammed in that corner of the lot.

And M, what was the deal with Ask Fork,, seemed to remember that place for somethin...
By chocko - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:24 PM
In the 70'S  Roadway Centers  old exit 23  I-80 Milesburg,Pa. Good food,garage and fuel prices.Back then just about every exit on I-80 in Pa. had a big truckstop. As someone else said the Boron's were good also. Exit 5 (Toledo)on Ohio TP. Stoney Ridge  was good. Lots of Motels and Brokers behind and in main building. Jarrel's,speed and Briscoe in Virginia. Could go on forever but most are gone or not the same. Huskie's in the Northwest were OK also. Joe D.
By chocko - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:28 PM
Was not the best but anyone remember Lasley's in San Leandro,Calif. dirt lot outside showers. Was stuck there waiting for a load 3 weeks. about 1975.I doubt it is still there. Joe D.
By newfie-trucker - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:33 PM
there is a fuel stop in newfoundland PA on I-84  clean and the restraunt / motel / fuelstop  good food there.. I always had fun with the fuel desk cashiers when they asked for my lisence info especially when they asked for the state my lisense was issued from and i told thewm Newfoundland  hehe it really messed with ther heads when they told me that Newfoundland didnt issue lisences ... i would have to go inside and show them my Newfoundland Canada lisence lol
By Michelle Cole - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:34 PM
Kid (12/29/2011)
Michelle, was it Flagstaff or Gallop? I couldnt remember, so didnt list it. There was one on US54 somewhere before I40, cant rememeber that name either..was it Tucumcari or ?.  I usually just fueled, showered and ate, then parked elsewhere to sleep, at most of them. Only camped out in the TSs when stuck on the weekends,, on party row...........might as well do it up right..  except for Mesquite where I got stuck for 5days in the heat storm, fired up the reefer, stacked the pallets(bar and card tables), partied, played cards, polished the truck.. that was a good week., we hadalmost 80 trucks crammed in that corner of the lot.

And M, what was the deal with Ask Fork,, seemed to remember that place for somethin...
Mike, the stop was in Flagstaff, I have a picture I made there the morning that we were leaving. The guy driving 435 was the one with the high powered radio.

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/0c3fe4fe-d821-4a2d-83d4-c83d.jpg
By newfie-trucker - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:37 PM
Lebanon KY sadly now it is a pilot and turned into fast food joint much like grandmas kitchen in Mortons Gap Ky
By dirtywhiteboy - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:42 PM
boise stage stop had good food....

scadondi bro. in conn,...not nice,not good,..but its there when ya need it...

old alamosa t/s phoenix az..left lot to be desired

what was the name of that dive down nogalios az???

a bit pricey but lil truckstop with the tiki huts on us27 bout 15 miles outta nw hialeah/medley fl,...cooked on grill while ya enjoyed ya magra'daceri'screwalotta'onthebeach...lol

not a t/s,..but hotel lotta drivers trashed around....airport inn s fortladerdele fl....had to much fun there!!
By Kid - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:57 PM
ok M.. so what was in Tucumcari ?  btw, used to be alot of great turquiose shops along the way too, spent a dollar or to in them..
By dirtywhiteboy - Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:05 PM
was a shell truck stop in tucumcari...

we always stoped at dive at san j'hom between line an tucumcari...
By Kid - Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:09 PM
man, I dont remember it being a shell..   just before the big road get-on ? on the R?
By rickknox - Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:20 PM
Tucumcari was a Shell Kid.

Gaspers, Kingdom City Mo.

707 Truck Stop Blue Springs Mo. (best biscuits and gravy in the country).

And who could forget the Windmill, Wheeling W.V.  no 4 wheelers aloud
By dirtywhiteboy - Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:31 PM
johnny's over in n.jersey...lotta stick haulers trash'ed round there!

norma's dinner in n.jersy too

lil dinner off 295 in south jersey,..swainsboro...
By Jim Rose - Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:52 PM
The Black Cat Truckstop in Indianna, can't remember where but I think Hobart. How about Bill and Effies in Verdi, Nevada? Also the Red Devil in Lynnwood, California.  
By dirtywhiteboy - Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:24 PM
P&M truck stop,madison nc on us220 n recently gone...

leatherwood truck stop,...between martinville an danville on us58....been gone decades

lakeside truckstop,..east side of danville va on us58,....decades too

roadranger truck stop north of charlotte nc on us29 in the median,...sure its gone

vence duponts broker office an dive,..jersey city off 1&9

high point truck stop,stevens city va,...11&81,...think its still there???

dixie boy,...us301 in nc....the one destroyed in maximum overdrive

stockyards truckstop,...south side of minneapolis mn.....may still be there

circleville truckstop/dinner,us35 circleville oh???

skool house truckstop/dinner,us35 nere washington C.H. oh

millers truck stop us64 in mocksville nc,...dang good bbq

I-77 truckstop...I-77 an us460,..princeton wva

union76 i-40 greenboro nc...been gone by order of city board

big 0's fuel an BBQ,i-20,...talapossa ga,.(cross street from neighbors,witch is fine stop to) ..still there an one my favorites!!
By MikeHarbison - Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:32 PM
A couple more deceased ones that used to be popular

B Bar B outside Des Moines

Atkinson,IL on I80

Tiki at the Lasalle/Peru exit on 80
By kb3csw - Friday, December 30, 2011 2:36 AM
grand view juction Ia. had good food usually in to much of a hurry to stop back then thuogh. Pine grove Pa. had good food think the resturant is still run seperate from Pilot. Duncannon Pa. the resturant was good parking lot not so good now a Pilot.

Always found it annoying being around drivers running so much power they bled over all channels. After got my Ham license found you could make contacts all over the world with 100 watts and without sounding like you were screaming into the microphone all the time have even less patience with them. There are hams that have no respect for other operators also, license doesn't correct lack of courtesy or common sense. 
By Eddy Lucast - Friday, December 30, 2011 2:46 AM
Who remembers the two resturants on the Ho Che Min trail in Penn, US 209 between I-80 and I-84. Yes we used to run thru there and was a lot shorter than going up I-81 to I-84 when you were headed to Boston.

Mike heres a couple more truck stops and resturants across Missouri that are long gone. The cafe in the old trailer house at Honeywell, the trailers are still there but you'd nver guess they were used as a resturant. The resturant and Phillips station east of Shelbina, a small fuel stop and cafe and New Cambria, The Champlain and Skelly at Brookfield, Rupps and Statons at Chillicothe, Statons is still there but has morphed into a big gas station.  
By KeithC - Friday, December 30, 2011 3:03 AM
I remember stopping at the one that burned down with my Dad the summer before it went up in smoke. Wasn't that the one that burnt on Christmas Day? The only day of the year they were closed?
I ran the Ho Che Min a few times when I was hauling mail about 10 years ago just to bring back a few memories of the old days.

DWB, High Point is still there, as is Old Stone at Clearbrook.

Didn't know Lebanon Junction, KY was turned into a Pilot too, that used to be one of my haunts back in my MS Carriers days, had to stop to see the sisters that worked second shift.......:Whistling:
By 66dt - Friday, December 30, 2011 3:33 AM
Just south of Lebanon Junction anybody  remember the Big T at E-town or the Dinner Bell south of Park City Ky. on 31w, Cherokee at Beans Station TN. Ponderosa at Bristol, Virginian Toms Brook Va. A half order of biscuits and gravy at the Big T would fill up two hungry drivers no problem!
By Geoff Weeks - Friday, December 30, 2011 3:50 AM
Eddy Lucast (12/30/2011)
Who remembers the two resturants on the Ho Che Min trail in Penn, US 209 between I-80 and I-84. Yes we used to run thru there and was a lot shorter than going up I-81 to I-84 when you were headed to Boston.

Mike heres a couple more truck stops and resturants across Missouri that are long gone. The cafe in the old trailer house at Honeywell, the trailers are still there but you'd nver guess they were used as a resturant. The resturant and Phillips station east of Shelbina, a small fuel stop and cafe and New Cambria, The Champlain and Skelly at Brookfield, Rupps and Statons at Chillicothe, Statons is still there but has morphed into a big gas station.  

I've been to most of the ones you mentioned, running for Butler Trucking out of PA, way back when. Used to run Ho Chi min a fair bit. Only been down 209 once before they banned commerical truck traffic. (on the strech between 84 and 80).
By Geoff Weeks - Friday, December 30, 2011 3:51 AM
Forgot about "Gasper's  "We may doze, but we never close" I guess that isn't true anymore...
By Michelle Cole - Friday, December 30, 2011 5:27 AM
The old Mid Continent Stations come to mind. Mid Continent had several around the country, but the one I remember well is the one at West Memphis AR. It was always a welcome oasis after a long hard day. Segovia truck stop on I-10 near Segovia Texas is still there. They had good food at one time and mey still have, just have not been in there in a long time. Truck City in Austin was not only a truck stop but also a Ford heavy truck dealer. The truck stop had a cafe with decent food, they had a scale, had ice for trucks, a bunk house, tire repair service and best of all if you had truck troubles they could fix anything on a truck from a blown engine to a set of brakes. They had 24 hour service on everything includind truck repairs. The truck shop had a night shift, so there was no extra service charge to get work done on your truck at night. I have known truckers to come it late at night and grab a bite to eat and put their truck in the shop for repair and go to bed in the free bunk house and get up the next morning refreshed, get in their truck and be on their way. My dad worked at that dealership for a number of years.
By Lynn Dearstone - Friday, December 30, 2011 5:29 AM
I used to run 209 twice a week back in the seventies, the truck stop that burned was Muellers if I remember right. Great food.
By Lynn Dearstone - Friday, December 30, 2011 5:35 AM
Michelle we had to use Mid-Continent when I was with C&H, there were two Mid-Continents in West Memphis, one on each side of the interstate. We had a terminal beside the west bound one. A tornado took out one of them, I think the one on the east side, beside the motel.
By Geoff Weeks - Friday, December 30, 2011 6:15 AM
kb3csw (12/30/2011)
Always found it annoying being around drivers running so much power they bled over all channels. After got my Ham license found you could make contacts all over the world with 100 watts and without sounding like you were screaming into the microphone all the time have even less patience with them. There are hams that have no respect for other operators also, license doesn't correct lack of courtesy or common sense. 

True "Ham's" who understand radio will never blast a channel. Many with modified CB's and no licence and no understanding of radio think that they need more power call themsevles Ham's to justife their blasting. I haven't had a working CB for I don't know how long. Last time I got it working was for an OD load that needed escorts. Now that I  don't do much of that, I don't bother with it. There are a few times it would be nice, but not worth the bother.
By dirtywhiteboy - Friday, December 30, 2011 12:56 PM
66dt (12/30/2011)
Just south of Lebanon Junction anybody  remember the Big T at E-town or the Dinner Bell south of Park City Ky. on 31w, Cherokee at Beans Station TN. Ponderosa at Bristol, Virginian Toms Brook Va. A half order of biscuits and gravy at the Big T would fill up two hungry drivers no problem!
thay was sum good biscuits an gravy too!!
By 352 pete - Friday, December 30, 2011 1:47 PM
The Tiki in Lasalle is still there or has something recently got it too?

The Davey Crockett on I-81 in TN ( now a T/A)

The Tennesean on I-65 ex 22 in TN ( still independant and good food!)

Anyone remember the T/A on I-81 in WV at exit 19 or was it 20? Long gone now.
By Michelle Cole - Friday, December 30, 2011 5:57 PM
Speaking of Tennesee, I guess the Mont Eagle truck stop is still on the mountain.

I just remembered, is  the Bucksnort truck stop still there at Bucksnort TN. If I remember correctly it had a small lot but had good food. Last time I was in there was in the seventies.
By Robby359 - Friday, December 30, 2011 5:59 PM
It was still there the last time I went over the mountain.
By dirtywhiteboy - Friday, December 30, 2011 6:08 PM
Michelle Cole (12/30/2011)
Speaking of Tennesee, I guess the Mont Eagle truck stop is still on the mountain.

I just remembered, is  the Bucksnort truck stop still there at Bucksnort TN. If I remember correctly it had a small lot but had good food. Last time I was in there was in the seventies.
thay were both there in 2006
By Brocky - Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:31 AM
The big truck stop on top of Mont Eagle is still there, BUT the building got remodeled with a D8 and there is no longer a restraunt there!! Just DAMN fast food!!

The restraunt and Motel are still at Bucksnort and still a good place to eat.

Another good place to eat in Tenn is Bailey's at exit 108 of 40, only room to park 4-5 trucks so some times you have to walk across the street from the fuel stop.
By Lynn Dearstone - Saturday, December 31, 2011 10:00 AM
Brocky you sure are right about the 108, very likely the best food I ever put in my mouth.
By wayne graham - Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:21 PM
Michelle, The Monteagle truck stop was leveled and is now a Hess fuel stop with some fast food and a remodeled parking lot that will acommodate about half as many trucks as before. The shop is gone too. Wayne
By willyrem - Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:55 PM
I kinda like the one in Big Cabin OK, maybe it's because they had a HUGE chicken fried steak and i like to eat !!

Charles
By Mackdaddy - Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:59 PM
As a young'n with my Dad can only remember Bailey's, New Castle, PA......Pop's near Streetsboro, OH, and then later in my move to the west it was Fat Harvey's in Canyonville, OR........don't pass Fat's gas. My brother just brought up a few days ago that Burns Brothers is no longer around.
By Eddy Lucast - Sunday, January 01, 2012 4:32 AM
Didn't Burns brothers either start out as locations for Bingo or was once one of their dealers.
By Brocky - Sunday, January 01, 2012 8:50 AM
If I remember right Burns Bros wasw boiught out by T/A about 15-18 years ago??
By Mackdaddy - Sunday, January 01, 2012 9:04 AM
There is some good information displayed at the PNWTM on the Burns Brothers. I know the one coming into Portland from the South on I-5 is now a shopping center and the one in Troutdale, OR off I-84 is maybe a Pilot or Flying J. The one down in Corning, CA is or was a T/***
By RICKY352PETES - Monday, January 02, 2012 7:18 AM
OLD SCHOOL TRUCK STOP JENSONS ON HWY 101 UKIAH NOR.CA.STILL THERE.
By wayne graham - Monday, January 02, 2012 10:02 AM
Ricky, Have not been out there in years and had completely forgot about Jensons. I used to deliver to the Case dealer in Ukiah so was always there. Standing in their lot was the last time I heard a working chain drive truck come down the highway. Local fuel hauler if I remember right. Probably late 70"s. Wayne
By junkmandan - Monday, January 02, 2012 10:16 AM
Dan----Pop's closed 20 years ago or more,building became just a tavern called Whelan's till torn down about 5 years ago and now property has an office building .
By G 73 mack - Monday, January 02, 2012 11:50 AM
Jersey Truck Center  So. kearny N.J.  I don't know if it was ever considered a good truck stop by many, but was a truck stop with a lot of character. I spent a lot of Mondays there back in the 70's when I was hauling meat from Minn. to NYC. I wonder if anyone else can remember the bar outback called the Club Reo and the lady that run it in the 70's everyone called Ma?The owner of the truck stop, Rube was a legand to many. I hauled a little moonlite freight for him once in awhile. Always gave half in cash when you left and the other half in cash when you got back. I have heard alot of wild tales about hauling his freight and all the money it paid, but the truth is that it didn't pay no more than anyones at the time. Rube knew what he could get it moved for. 
By wayne graham - Monday, January 02, 2012 12:25 PM
G73, In the early 70's my brother and I were with Schanno. Who did you work for? Wayne
By G 73 mack - Monday, January 02, 2012 12:51 PM
The first company I was leased to was Reefer Transit from Worthington, Mn. I leased onto them in 1971 with a 1969 Crackerbox GMC. 238 detroit. Long trip with that thing, but back then it was fun. Bought the truck on my 22nd birthday. In about 1974 I leased onto Midwest Coast and stayed running East for them until about 1983. I did spend some time at Holiday Express and Hagan, Inc. I bet there will be people that will remember all of this companies. For the last 18 years I have run on my own as an independent. I tell everyone I have been independently broke for years and love every minute of it. Doug
By Bob Hansen - Monday, January 02, 2012 2:18 PM
I remember all those companies. I was leased to Badger Freight out of Milwaukee hauling meat from Jones Diary Farm in Ft Atkinson, WI to NYC. I got into a disagreement with the owner of Badger and he fired me. Best thing that ever happened to me. I already had my own contract authority to haul electrical wire from NJ to the midwest. Jones Diary backed me for authority going east and as they say the rest was history.

Rubes was a hole but you could get a wash out and find freight heading west so we could start it all over again the next week. I'd leave 2 AM Sunday morning to be at my first drop in Hunt's Point before 3 AM Monday morning. 16 hours driving time.

I'd run into the same guys every week, A & H, Shanno, Vitallis, Holiday, WI Express, etc. I still some of those guys once and awhile

The picture is of my 1975 KW I was running at the time. NTA 420 14 Speed Spicer.
By Daryl Gushee - Monday, January 02, 2012 2:32 PM
Geoff Weeks (12/28/2011)
Dysarts

Howell (Kittery, old t/s not sure if it still there)

Diamond J's (Brookfield,PA long gone)

Yellowstone T/S (Livingston, MT)

Eddys corner (Moore, MT)

London Husky (London, ON)

Most others are either forgetable, or have been gone so long I've forgot them.

Dysarts is probably one of the best and I hope it will be there for a long time.
Howells got torn down about 2-3 years ago and is now a Irving.

I'm a die hard Buzzy's (Hanscoms truck stop) fan even though it doesn't compare with a real truckstop.
The owner, Buzzy, is one of the nicest guys you will meet. The fuel prices are reasonable and they pump for you while you go in and get one of those famous green hot dog's.
By wayne graham - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 5:33 AM
G 73 mack (1/2/2012)
The first company I was leased to was Reefer Transit from Worthington, Mn. I leased onto them in 1971 with a 1969 Crackerbox GMC. 238 detroit. Long trip with that thing, but back then it was fun. Bought the truck on my 22nd birthday. In about 1974 I leased onto Midwest Coast and stayed running East for them until about 1983. I did spend some time at Holiday Express and Hagan, Inc. I bet there will be people that will remember all of this companies. For the last 18 years I have run on my own as an independent. I tell everyone I have been independently broke for years and love every minute of it. Doug
  Doug, remember all of them very well and Bob is right Rubes was a hole but we hauled swinging and you had to get washed and the hooks stacked and it was either there or Toolies. Do either of you remember Barry Black who was a broker at Rubes. Hot freight and I think he finally went to the joint. Wayne
By badgoat - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:36 AM
Timing is everything!  Just signed on to get some truck stop info and this thread was bumped close to the top. 

I'm heading from Maine to Long Island Thurs to pick up a drop deck I bought on eBay.  I was planing to stay overnight in CT.  Any recommendations for a good stop along 395 or 95?  Thanks in advance!
By Geoff Weeks - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:40 AM
very slim pickens along those routes for TS. There is a TA on 84 and another TS around the west side of Hartford and not much else.
By Don Hancock - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:54 AM
B G,

You got the Pilot and Secondi's in Milford exit 40
By RICKY352PETES - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 7:59 AM
If you ever came west on I 80 to the bay in ca. you wood remeber terminal station texaco on I 80 in cordelia ca. ALL GONE.I like sierra sids in sparks nv.still ther.
By Eddy Lucast - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:20 AM
What are you going to be looking for, Food Fuel, Lodging or an old truck fix?

Cheapest fuel in our area is 3.93. Truckstops in CT on I-95 are Secondi's and the Pilot in Milford and the TA in Branford is about 10 minutes from the house.

badgoat (1/3/2012)
Timing is everything!  Just signed on to get some truck stop info and this thread was bumped close to the top. 

I'm heading from Maine to Long Island Thurs to pick up a drop deck I bought on eBay.  I was planing to stay overnight in CT.  Any recommendations for a good stop along 395 or 95?  Thanks in advance!
By OldOakie - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:28 AM
The truck stop situation probably would have been a huge disappointment to me had my idea of driving my own (historical) truck the last two years of my working career had panned out.  The truck stops would be one of things I remember most fondly about my trucking days in the early 70's - late 70's.

As for ones I remember fondly?  Hmmm....

* A 76 Union somewhere in Virginia (Stanton?)  Great sausage biscuits n' gravy.

* The Windmill Truck Stop (I thought it was in Wheeling, WV, but I could be wrong?)  Anyway, good food, lots of amenities, etc.

* New Jersey Truck Terminal. If possible, I used to hit that place when going to/leaving Hunts Point Market.  I recall a nearby diner that had FABULOUS hot pastromi n' swiss on rye.  Superb.

* Beacon Truck Stop. Somewhere in eastern TN on a two-lane hiway.  The lizards weren't in the lot. :w00t:

* The Robin Hood Truck Stop near St. Louis(?). Good food... great visuals. :D

* Bucksnort, TN truck stop. Not a big stop, but good food and again... some pretty good visuals!

* L.A. Truck Terminal. Not my favorite, but had an interesting experience there during a parking lot game of 3 Card Monte.  Tried to whup some butt after I got rookie-do'ed while trying to rookie-do the dealer!  Yeah, I know... kettle can't call the pot blackie.

* An unknown truck stop in Buffalo, NY. Loads happened to shake out to where I was there 3-4 times.  Cute waitress that was kinda' friendly with this young (at the time), single, and remarkably handsome (... sort of... maybe?) trucker.

Wow... way too many good memories to list here.  Sure, there were some really really BAD times out on the road... but it's amazing how my memory filters have softened the rough edges on the bad times and enhanced experiences of the good times.

Old Oakie

Andre
By RICKY352PETES - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 9:31 AM
Hay OLDOAKIE you musta try to forget the bad suff and you cant be that old becuse you rememer the good things!
By Bob Hansen - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 1:26 PM
[ Doug, remember all of them very well and Bob is right Rubes was a hole but we hauled swinging and you had to get washed and the hooks stacked and it was either there or Toolies. Do either of you remember Barry Black who was a broker at Rubes. Hot freight and I think he finally went to the joint. Wayne[/quote]

Wow Wayne your making me dig deep into my memory, but yes, I sure do remember Berry. Everything we hauled off the east coast was hot back then until I got my contract authority. There was another broker that had an office in back of Rubes. I think he was downstairs in the back but I can't remember his name. 
By dirtywhiteboy - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 2:00 PM
thats anutter thing thats a thing of the past,...broker offices,...good truck stop always had lest a few!!
By Mackdaddy - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 2:21 PM
Just bought this book on Amazon. Covers a lot truck stops across the country and some neat pictures of old rigs.
By Michelle Cole - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 2:23 PM
Ranger hill truck stop in Ranger Texas. It was an old and established truck stop. The 76 at Mederian at the Russel exit was once a good stop, there is still a truck stop there but I think it is a TA now. Anyone remember the Billips truck stops, they werent much in the line of truck stops but they did have cheap fuel. The Texaco truck stop at Orange Texas had a good cafe, they are long gone now.
By wayne graham - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 2:27 PM
Boy oh Boy, The cover is a trip down memory lane by itself. Need a reminder like that every once in a while. Wayne
By Tommyz - Wednesday, January 04, 2012 12:13 AM
White's Truck Stop at the 205 mm on I-81 in Raphine, Va. was always a good stop. Family owned and operated, a vast gun and knife collection in the lobby on the wall, and a little glass shed outside packed with rare, vintage motorcycles.Food was always good too. I haven't been there in 2 years, my buddy who is kind of new at the road game asked me where to stop while running I-81, I told him White's at the 205, just look for the big sign. He said there's no White's sign, it was bought by another big chain recently. That's a shame.

Secondi's West; exit 2 Danbury, Ct. Had a dirt parking lot with craters you'd lose a truck in if you weren't careful. The diner was a greasy spoon that always smelled like propane and sewage, but the food was pretty good. Nowadays it's a strip mall.

Buzzy's Rt. 1 bypass, Porstmouth,NH; always stopped headed north to "the county" to get a load of potatoes for cheap NH fuel. Not too fancy a place, still looks the same as it did 30+ years ago. Red dyed hot dogs...never did figure that one out. On the southbound side, if you used the shower there, you stood on a pallet in the shower. Either that, or it was smart to keep your boots on in there.

Dysarts Bangor, Me. The only game in town, and still is a good destination for trucks and travelers of all kinds.

On a brighter note; Iowa 80 Wolcott, Iowa. It's an extreme truckstop. Like a mall, it has a lot to take in. There's a super chrome shop, restaurants, dentist, hair salon, movie theater, plenty to do there.

Lee Hi Travel plaza in Virginia off I-81 on old rte. 11 down around Stanton I believe (can't think of the actual town right at the moment,) is still a nostalgic place to stop. It was featured on some show recently called extreme truck stops just as Iowa 80 was also.

Sorry these examples were all over the map and not in cronological order, they just came to mind as I went along... 
By Eddy Lucast - Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:21 AM
Buzzy's Rt. 1 bypass, Porstmouth,NH; always stopped headed north to "the county" to get a load of potatoes for cheap NH fuel. Not too fancy a place, still looks the same as it did 30+ years ago. Red dyed hot dogs...never did figure that one out. On the southbound side, if you used the shower there, you stood on a pallet in the shower. Either that, or it was smart to keep your boots on in there.

It was the same story at the Antelope Truck stop in Wyoming!
By Jim Rose - Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:09 AM
The Pure truck stop in Van Wert, Ohio. I can not remember the name of it but do remember the great old truck pictures hanging on the walls back in the 1950s.   
By 352 pete - Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:52 PM
Lexington VA. is where the Lee Hi is.

No Whites sign on I-81 is a shame! Been one there for 40 years! ( Dave White opened it in 1971)
By dirtywhiteboy - Wednesday, January 04, 2012 6:10 PM
whites is a petro now ant it...
By Tommyz - Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:48 PM
Yeah, I think you're right about the Petro buying White's now. The motorcycles and guns and knives are gone...Petro said it didn't "fit their theme".

Another one came to mind...New England Truck Stop, Sturbridge, Mass. That place hasn't changed a bit since the 70's. Still has a bunch of old pictures of trucks fueling at the island, old Astros and IH's, etc.

Now a Pilot "light", the old Sturbridge Isle truck stop used to be a great place. It was a beautiful rustic post & beam building, big buffet, a welcome place to get to. The neighbors had it shut down due to the close proximity of residents and complaining, and years later Pilot came in and built another small building next to the existing one.
By scsiguy - Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:18 AM
Tommyz (1/5/2012)
Yeah, I think you're right about the Petro buying White's now. The motorcycles and guns and knives are gone...Petro said it didn't "fit their theme".

Another one came to mind...New England Truck Stop, Sturbridge, Mass. That place hasn't changed a bit since the 70's. Still has a bunch of old pictures of trucks fueling at the island, old Astros and IH's, etc.

Now a Pilot "light", the old Sturbridge Isle truck stop used to be a great place. It was a beautiful rustic post & beam building, big buffet, a welcome place to get to. The neighbors had it shut down due to the close proximity of residents and complaining, and years later Pilot came in and built another small building next to the existing one.

Is the one at Sturbridge the one that was east off the last exit of the NY Thruway.  If it's the one I'm thinking of, you had to go through the village to get on the Mass pike eastbound.  If that's the one, according to Google Earth Street View, it's gone and grown up in weeds.  It was a nice truckstop and was owned by an old guy from Southern Illinios - Carbondale - that didn't want to work in the coal mines, so he went east looking for work.  It had a lot of pictures on the wall of the place when a tornado went through in the 1960's (?).
By scsiguy - Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:21 AM
One more thing:  Does anyone remember the dump on Meeting Street in Charleston, SC.  IIRC, it was at the end of US 52 and was really a dump.  You could get seasick walking on the wavy floors in the restaurant.
By Don Hancock - Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:24 AM
SCI,

The one in Sturbridge is on 84 just in Mass from Ct. You may be thinking of Diesel Dans in Lee Mass exit 2 Mass Pike. Was up that way last year all weeds.
By Richard - Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:48 AM
On the subject of good truck stops in the North East--I'm looking WAY ahead to W. Springfield.  We will make this 420 mile trip a two day affair --at least going.  We do NOT want to hlt Hartford, CT in late afternoon --been there, done that!  So we will stop around Scranton (after about 200+ miles of Detroit "pleasure" on I 81.  How  many gears can I shift in one day --I may well find out)) Or, we may  press onward to a fuel stop next to a good restaurant on I 84, exit 20. We stopped there both going and returning from the fall board of Directors meeting.  Now this is just a plan at this point.  What suggestions do you have??
By Don Hancock - Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:53 AM
Not that far ahead now Richard we are inthe same year! Can't wait, cause after this I won't make one till the next round in the southeast.
By scsiguy - Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:08 PM
Don Hancock (1/5/2012)
SCI,

The one in Sturbridge is on 84 just in Mass from Ct. You may be thinking of Diesel Dans in Lee Mass exit 2 Mass Pike. Was up that way last year all weeds.

Yup, you're right.  It was West Sturbridge - just east of Canaan, NY.
By newfie-trucker - Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:30 PM
ones i used to stop at before pilot bought them out (looks like pilot is buying everyone out) is a williams in PA on I-90 great parking very clean restraunt and friendly staff... just across the road from a Mack dealer..

another one was the greenleaf (i think it was called that)   in PA on 90 tore down now.. 
By Don Hancock - Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:04 PM
Ah Fred, thats another one I forgot about. Rt 102 West Stockbridge MA.
By chocko - Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:45 PM
Richard at the Newfoundland exit on i-84 in Pa. There is the Twin Rocks restaurant and Comfort Inn Motel next door. 1/2 hour out of Scranton. Joe D.
By newfie-trucker - Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:53 PM
Chocko  I used to have fun with the fuel bar there when i would fill up there.. when they would ask for my drivers lisence info i would tell them "Newfoundland"  they would say Newdoundland DONT issue its own drivers lisence i would walk inside and show them my Newfoundland  drivers lisence and it would throw them for a loop till they saw the canada on it lol

Newfoundland & Labrador Canada
By chocko - Thursday, January 05, 2012 5:15 PM
 Newfie I live about 8 miles from there. Pa. has some Town names like out of the Bible on !-84  Promised land,Lords Valley,Paradise. Joe D.
By Richard - Friday, January 06, 2012 3:04 AM
Joe D    Is the Newfoundland truck stop at exit 17   or exit 20 off I84.   The fuel stop and restaurant I described below is at Exit 20.  The "truck stop" is no more than a fueling place with a dirt lot behind.  The restaurant is right next door.  I stopped there   for lunch  both  going and coming from the ATHS  board meeting in Springfield  this past Fall .  It would do but if there is a better one, I'd like to know.   Also, we have a son in the Boston area, so we drive the I81/I84/Mass Pike route with some degree of regularity  and are looking for places to stop to eat , etc. .  However, Jet Blue is at $34 + taxes each way , so next month(grand daughter's 5th birthday) we fly!  Thanks   Dick  
By Brown Dirt Cowboy - Friday, January 06, 2012 3:45 AM
Don Hancock (1/5/2012)
Not that far ahead now Richard we are inthe same year! Can't wait, cause after this I won't make one till the next round in the southeast.

Don, how bout York,Pa in 2015?
By Don Hancock - Friday, January 06, 2012 4:30 AM
The plan if all goes as planned! is we will be moving to Ft Lauderdale Fl. sometime after this years convention most likely the end of  July.

The company I work for has an office there and we have worked out a transfer deal, so I have already joined the Mid Fl Chapter.
By Doug Blevins - Friday, January 06, 2012 4:58 AM
Kid,  Ashfork was a Teds bullpen, had one in Moriority NM, now its Lisa's TS Tucumcarrie was a Shell, There were Huskies TS at Albuquerque, Gallup & Kingman,(all long gone)  Woodies In Vaugn & Roswell, Bluewater TS at exit 71 I-40 (teamster Freighthauler hang out)  Dont forget the Roadrunner in Phoenix!!!.......Doug
By chocko - Friday, January 06, 2012 5:40 AM
Richard Twin Rocks,Newfoundland Exit 17 off i-84. There is a Comfort Inn,Restaurant,Fuel(price?) garage on premises. It is not a large stop but there is decent parking.By the time May comes around they are building a fuel stop and Burger King at Mount Cobb Exit 8 off I-84. Cheapest fuel on I-84 between Scranton and Harford, Conn. would be Port Jervis Exit. 3 States together there New York,Pa. and New Jersey. The fuel stops are in New Jersey and best price.Only about 4.5 months + or-.Joe D.
By Richard - Friday, January 06, 2012 7:32 AM
Joe D  Thanks.  I have a list of all the possible stops up I81  & I84 into W. Springfield.  I guess I  missed the Newfee one.Sounds like a good stopping point for the night.   The Duck Truck  only has one tank being used @50Gal.  The other side tank, another 50 gal. one, hasn't been used for years BUT it has the fuel sending unit.  The cross over line is kinda crap, so before May, I plan to replace the line and drain the non-used tank.  With 100 gal. and a fuel gauge that works (I hope), I'll have some range to shop for fuel.  BTW  I learned  years ago when driving our car or pickup to Boston --avoid CT for fuel due to high$$$$.  Back to my shop (pleasant 50 degrees  in there today) to get a fuel tank back in place on a 1988 E 350.  It is NOT being cooperative.
By Eddy Lucast - Friday, January 06, 2012 7:44 AM
CT dropped their gas tax and it's cheaper here that at the outlaws in NY now.
By 359er - Monday, January 09, 2012 1:24 PM
Is the old TS at McLean Ill. on I55 still there? Probably 18 or 20 yrs since I have been there.
By Kid - Monday, January 09, 2012 1:38 PM
Doug, who can forget Roadrunner... guess the others' names didnt hold so well.. been a long long time. Too bad they're all gone, wouldve like to put some of them on the TStours I'd like to start doin,, before all we know are gone.. still workin on that, compiling old names from this thread too..
By Lmackattack - Monday, January 09, 2012 2:05 PM
I dont realy like the truck stops besides for fuel and sleeping These drivers of today just are not the type that make me want to go out of my way to talk to them. I rarely meet a driver in todays world that is up to a standard to be called a trucker.

Places I do try to stop at are...

Little America in Flagstaff AZ

little America in Western WY

Joplin Petro MO

Loves Conway TX (near Amirillo)

Rainbow casino West wendover

Loves Wells NV
By skeeter - Monday, January 09, 2012 2:26 PM
Ida Maes and Joe in midway ga.......Honeycutts in Lucama nc....... lakewood plaza     and 3scale  roanoke rapids weldon nc..... all gone....... Big Boys in Kenly...Last of the independents.... having a hard time hangin on..... 
By wayne graham - Monday, January 09, 2012 4:38 PM
Wayne, Yes the Dixie is still at Mc Lean ILL.  Exit 146 on I-55. Wayne
By necktie - Monday, January 09, 2012 4:47 PM
Yes the Dixie is still standing and open at Mc Lean.

It is nothing what it was from the 1960's until about 1995.  The great grandson of the founders ran it in the ground.  The family took bankrutcy on it.

The next owners did not do much to revive it.

It now has a different owner.  He is really trying very hard to revive it.  He has done a lot of repairs and clean up.  I understand the resturant has great food.

Unfortunately I don't think it gets the patronage of truckers it needs to get up and running....

Drivers don't seem to patronize the old fashion stops anymore...it is all fast food and Pilot's, Loves.  I would think that would get old.

Personally I like and patronize what few stops are left. Big Cabin is one of my favorite still.
By wayne graham - Monday, January 09, 2012 5:21 PM
Mike, I am with you. Nothing can replace a good hot meal served on a real plate by some one who will keep your cup full. Wayne
By RICKY352PETES - Monday, January 09, 2012 6:16 PM
Does anyone rememer J's coffee shop's on I-5 that is now the magic mountain prkway. There was alot of movies filmed there like rockford files and moving on series. There was A J's coffee shop on 99 to. Its all gone now.
By Mackdaddy - Monday, January 09, 2012 6:35 PM
Any mention of Pantyhose Junction in Dunnigan, CA yet? It has to be going on 20yrs since it closed down and made room for a pilot.
By Eddy Lucast - Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:08 AM
I travel I-55 to on my trips west because I'm usually stopping in North Missouri on the way. I make a point of stopping at the Dixie when I go thru. All of the truck photos have been moved upstairs to the office and put in albums because people were swiping them. The last time thru the store had been rearranged and the bathrooms were clean.
By Park Olson - Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:57 AM
Who remembers a diner, not a real truckstop,at 301 & 13 in Delaware?,,,old alignment, '60's-'70's,,,,their claim to fame was a huge cup of coffee.
By Richard - Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:57 AM
Park   Are you thinking of the Glasgow Diner???
By Park Olson - Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:07 AM
Richard, I don't remember a name, stopped once or twice on some early road trips. It was in the "V" of the intersection. It was popular with truckers apparantly, saw some Big Rigs that were not normally seen in Connecticut at the time. I think their signage showed a big coffee cup.
By Brocky - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:12 AM
Also, who remembers the truck stop that was between the lanes of MD 3 south of Baltimore in the 50's & 60's??? I was in my early teens when I was there, The Hot Something?????
By Billy Fail - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:54 AM
Brocky,

I remember 3 truck stops on Rt. 3. The Fifth Wheel,The Bonfire and Truck Transit. Does this help?
By newfie-trucker - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:29 AM
there is one in PA  (if eddy dont edit it or delete it ) on I-81 called mini skirt jct kinda a mom n pop place but good food and parking  fuel was reasonable and a shop on the grounds even  a place to pull up to on the way out to dump trash with out getting out of the cab (for the lazy guys) it was .. not a bad place to stop ..

also the Williaams stops  were good places  till pilot bought them out..
By Richard - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:36 AM
Billy  Funny you should mention the Bonfire.  For more than 30 years I lived less than 1 mile from it and spent some "seat time" in the joint --and joint it was.  There were a lot of items offered for sale in there that apparently "fell off the back of a truck" !!  And then there were the waitresses --one called Heavy Duty for good reason and the rest , well, I better not go on.   You could get a lot at the Bonfire --some of which you surely didn't want.  The funnest thing about the Bonfire is that IT BURNT DOWN!!!!    As for the"New Transit Truck Stop" its proper name-it was new in the 1950's--it is still in operation.  There ain't nothing like a local Mom and Pop truck stop, but they are vanishing.
By wayne graham - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:07 AM
Newfie, I believe you are talking about Pharo's at Shippensburg. No longer in business. Lorena and John got a divorce and then she died. John turned it over to kids and now it is gone. Don't have any idea what they are going to do with the property. Wayne
By Michelle Cole - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:23 AM
Who used to visit the Red Hot in Mederian Miss. It was really a decent place to eat, they had good plate lunches, not only did the truckers frequint it but it was pretty popular with the locals as well. There was a good truck shop next door too.
By Brocky - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:03 AM
Billy

The Bonfire was the place I was thinking of, definately a coffee, tea, or me place, thanks..

Newfie & Wayne

I noticed that Mini Skirt Junction, at old exit 10 of 81, was closed last year on the way home from the Brockway show in Cortland. Never knew the reason why, just assumed it was the loss of another independent.
By wayne graham - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:04 AM
Brocky, John and I were at Sawmill Trucking way back and then he became one of our agents. He had a beautiful 76 Brockway that he fixed up . I was with him the day he bought it. Don't have any pics or I would post them. Wayne
By Billy Fail - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:43 AM
Take a ride down Memory Lane. Remember some of these, Coffee Cup  Kingsland,Ga., Butler's  Yulee,FL., Firebird GA/FL state line on US17, Cross the Border South  St. Augustine,FL.,  DeSosto truck stop  south of Savannah, GA., Kitchen truck stop Savannah,GA., Joker Joe's  Hardeesville,SC. Now for these next 2 if you remember them , keep your secrets to yourself, The Rebel Truck Stop,Santee,SC and The Big Oak with the revolving yellow light near Darien,GA. I'll post more later on NC,VA,MD,NJ, stops before I-95 was built.
By skeeter - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:59 PM
Mamie's and Slow Poke in Santee sc..... Jerry's in manning before 2000....... changed management not the same now....... Johnny's in Society Hill sc
By Michelle Cole - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:23 PM
Its funny that you mention the Big Oak in Darien GA. One night I accidently stumbled into that place trying to get my eyes open. There were truck parked all over the place and I though it was a viable truck stop. I should have clicked because there were no fuel pumps, but I figured it was a good cafe anyway. I walked in and there was one old man sitting in a booth back by a door. He said to me you have better be truning around and leaving about now as we are closed. I started to ask about all the trucks parked outside and I could hear people in another room. But I clicked about that time and left in a hurry. When I got back in the truck I woke Alan and told him about it and he confirmed what I had thought and wouldn't stop laughing at me. For the next two weeks he kept on telling out friends that I stopped at a cat house. I liked to never lived that one down. A friend of ours later told us that when that place was finally shut down that there were bodys found buried out back. Not sure if it was truck drivers that started trouble or girls that wouldn't do as told.
By 66dt - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:04 PM
Speaking of mini skirts what about Pam's long gone Lebanon tn.
By RICKY352PETES - Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:02 AM
I thought this thread was about truck stops, not strip joints! You people get your minds out of the gutter! (I know some truck stops are in the gutter!)
By Geoff Weeks - Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:14 AM
Running a good "Mom and Pop" truckstop has to be at least as hard as being in independant trucker. You need to be open all hours, keep the place clean and free from Illegal activity and still have to compete with the big guys that offer less. I look for them and stop at them when ever I can find them. Fairly soon "Pilot" is going to be the new name for diesel, they're takeing over everything and offering less and less. I hate to see it. I blame the big trucking co more then anything else for the demise of the Mom & Pop's... they get the fuel discount from Pilot (and most likey don't pass it along to their O/O's) and require their driver to fuel there.
By Billy Fail - Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:14 PM
Do you remember?  Fat's/ Society Hill SC, Johnny's/Society Hill,SC, Frank's/Sumter,SC, Skipper's/Summerton,SC, Rhode's/Summerton,SC, Dixie Truck Stop/Bishopville,SC,  401Truck-O-Tel/Fayetteville,NC, 301 Truck Stop/Fayetteville,NC,  Esso Fleet/ Ridgeland,SC,  more later.  Times have changed. Now days, cold-cuts or fast food chains that aren't fast.
By skeeter - Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:19 PM
Peggy ann's   in newport tenn..
By Brocky - Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:26 PM
I think Johhny's in Society Hill SC is still in business. Have been in the T/S restraunt on the south side of the road just last summer.
By 66dt - Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:53 PM
I was thinking Peggy Ann's was at Rockwood Tn.  hwy. 27-70
By Billy Fail - Friday, January 13, 2012 3:02 AM
Brocky,you're right, Johnny's is still open but not alot to offer these days.  Johnny's used to be located on the north side of Society Hill, they moved to present location after the ESSOFLEET Truck stop went out of business. Another old joint the RIVERSIDE was located across from Johnny's old place. Another place was a good eating stop was ran by a lady , her name was Charlene located in Society Hill for truckers. I think her last name was Woodard.
By Robert J - Friday, January 13, 2012 7:21 AM
Something else about Pilot that I've noticed - the one by me (US 31 / Cleveland Road interchange in South Bend, IN) sometimes has a L-O-N-G line of trucks waiting their turn at the fuel pumps. Speedway across the street (which has truck pumps/parking) doesn't get the same lines even if advertised price of diesel is same. Do most/all the major trucking companies require their drivers to use Pilot? After all fuel is fuel - it's not like Coke versus Pepsi...
By Eddy Lucast - Friday, January 13, 2012 7:30 AM
My favorite was always Iowa-80. I'd starve getting there just to make sure I was good and hungry. :exclamationmark:
By Geoff Weeks - Friday, January 13, 2012 7:41 AM
Robert J (1/13/2012)
Something else about Pilot that I've noticed - the one by me (US 31 / Cleveland Road interchange in South Bend, IN) sometimes has a L-O-N-G line of trucks waiting their turn at the fuel pumps. Speedway across the street (which has truck pumps/parking) doesn't get the same lines even if advertised price of diesel is same. Do most/all the major trucking companies require their drivers to use Pilot? After all fuel is fuel - it's not like Coke versus Pepsi...

Most large trucking companys have a priceing agreement with Pilot so they don't pay the "street price" on the sign, but much less. Those drivers are required to use Pilot. It is a classic example of the "two Tier" system we have. Big companys pay less for the same items then the smaller operator, then claim they can be more efficent. If all sales had to be sold at the same price for the same item the small truckstops would still exist.
By wayne graham - Friday, January 13, 2012 10:32 AM
Rober J and Geoff, I don't explain realgood but I will try. There is a consortium of the major freight carriers (JB Swift etc.) They buy everything through this consortium. Trucks trailers tires fuel and so forth. They own the fuel that is in a Pilot and pay them to pump it. What they sell to the rest of us is whatever they can get us to pay. Our company policy is to avoid Pilot and Loves except in an emergency. They can buy futures in large contracts that no one else can touch. TA-Petro-Hess- and Kwik-Trip are supplied by contracts from Marriot Hospitality who own TA and Petro. They are aggressively pursuing fueling arrangements with smaller carriers. They came to us with an attractive arrangement thus I fuel with them when I can. Geoff you are right if it was treated as a fair trade item then everyone could be on a level playing field but that is not likely to happen. Wayne
By Robert J - Monday, January 16, 2012 6:12 AM
Wayne and Geoff - thanks for the explaination which makes sense to me. Too bad such practices put the squeeze on the small chains/independents.
By Brink - Monday, January 16, 2012 5:12 PM
I guess not many trucks get out west. The( West to go) in abiline tx good pie! and Truckers in Weatheford tx, Closed now, 3.00 breakfast, 406 crome shop in Weatherford, Tx, great hamberger stake, good Ice tea. Ever been to West on I-35 Sale barn fresh beef right out of the barn on sale day, great Pie. all baked there. I know what ya mean, When a big corporation truck stop goes in, it seems the mom and pop's truck stops close down, for miles around. I never used the big stops, and the company I worked for always had heart burn over it, but I just didn't care, My truck/My Engine. Just because it was there load they felt that they wanted to be in charge. Not quite So! A fellow Trucker Sunny
By dirtywhiteboy - Monday, January 16, 2012 5:19 PM
the chicken fryed stake was the bomb at the 406,..lot better than the hamburger!! but i stope in gordon tx at the BAR-B most time,..killer buffet with stake,ribs,..chicken an bbq most the time!!full sevice fuel island still last tme i was out there...
By Brocky - Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:55 AM
A big 10-4 on the cattle auction barn in West on I-35. They have cut their hours back some but is still the best food on 35.

Also just west of the Bar-B at exit 367 is the Smokestack which has excellent food open at 6 AM, room for a half dozen trucks.
By jackhartjr - Friday, January 20, 2012 4:50 PM
The one at the 406 in Weatherford with the BEST chicken fried steak in the world was named Bonnies for years. And I think it may have been Bonnies Wayside Inn for a while, not totally sure on that.

I walked in there one day and Bonnie shoved a forkfull of something in my mouth, said to try it and let her know how it tasted. It was GREAT! It turned out to be frog legs. I immediately laughed, thinking of the old cartoon of frogs coming out of the back of a restaurant in wheelchairs!

Jack
By Mackdaddy - Monday, January 23, 2012 6:37 AM
Mackdaddy (1/10/2012)
Any mention of Pantyhose Junction in Dunnigan, CA yet? It has to be going on 20yrs since it closed down and made room for a pilot.
By RICKY352PETES - Monday, January 23, 2012 7:20 AM
Mackdaddy it is still thare thay change the name to oasasis thay closed pantyhose junction down becuse the same gril's work thare for 30 year's thay did not fit in pantyhose no mo.!!!!!
By ehrldawg - Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:11 AM
Did they rebuild the Dixie Boy from the "Maximum Overdrive" movie?
Where is "5 Points" from "The Firm" movie?
By Kid - Monday, March 05, 2012 4:04 PM
Went by the old TruckInn today.. it is finally tore down, sad. Across the street now, next to the truck wash, is the new Terribles' Casino and Truck Stop, they just hung the sign today in the windstorm. So should be open in a couple months. Afraid ti wont be anything like the TruckInn was..
http://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/b96fe9e6-9bf0-4b31-84f9-aa75.JPG
By necktie - Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:07 PM
The good ole days of Nostalgic trucking.

Trucking, trucks, truck stops, and todays drivers don't uphold the good old days of trucking.

Today all PILOT AND LOVE'S both of which I am less than fond of.

My favorite old school truck stop that is still an excellent place to stop is Big Cabin, OK.....it is clean, a superb old style sit down resturant with home cooked real food.
By dashby - Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:54 PM
The Oklahoma Chapter of ATHS has a truck show scheduled at the Big Cabin Truck Stop for June 8-9-10. The owners of the stop have been super nice to invite us to use their facilities--no charge.

Maybe the guys from the National Convention can stop in for the night or just to eat a bite. There is plenty of room for the show and some of us will be there a day or two early.

Dean
By Brink - Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:01 AM
Morning Drivers:

Another stop I recall is BETO Kansas, cross road 75 That stop has been there for years, I first used it maybe 25 years ago, just a small stop, I fueled and took a knapp, that nite it was cold and the wind was howling. It seems like every year they added something, rebuilt, and improved. You could tell you dollar was going into something, and some of the nicest people I have met, in that stop. Try it you'll like it. a taste of the old day's I say!! A fellow Trucker Sunny
By wayne graham - Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:18 AM
Dean and Mike, Those folks have quite a history and have viewed the world from many angles. So refreshing and reminiscent of the old days when you pull up to the pump and the attendant gives you the thumbs up sign for filling both tanks. Nobody says come insside and prove who you are before you can get the pump turned on. Yes I have added to my mid section in that restaurant for more years than I likr to admit. Saw a young fleet driver pull plumb through the pumps and get out and head in. He was quickly informed of the location of the parking lot kinda did my heart good. Wayne Graham
By I-20ONLY - Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:02 AM
My favorites were the 103(southside of I-20)in Calhoun,La.Genes supper club in Longview,Tx. Mcdonalds restaurant in Terrell,Tx at the 509 mm.Tye ,Tx at the 278 Mm.The old truckstop in Van Horn,Tx that used to have all the pottery outside.The Fina truckstop in Vado,NM.The 4k truckstop in san Simon,Az.Teds Bullpen in Quartzite,Az.And my favorite place to eat after a long day of picking up produce was Bob's cafe on 7th standard rd in Bakersfield ,Ca.
By dashby - Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:13 AM
Yep, Wayne,

We were in Love's at the Hinton/I 40 jct. awhile back. Suddenly, the whole place smelled like bull s--t. Young feller parked his bull wagon by the pumps and ran in for a short. Good south wind blew the smell in big time. Those of us that have been around cattle, kept looking at everyone's shoes.

Dean
By bgardner - Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:18 PM
UH Dean that wasn,t your shoes? I always liked Prices truck stop in Roswell. Always decent food and stout coffee. Good place to take a nap, but you may wake up to a downpour or a snow storm. They were still open in '07, haven't been out that way since.
By wayne graham - Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:14 PM
Dean, I was raised on a livestock farm so I know about the shoes. My mom never let them come in the house they stayed on the porch. Wayne
By necktie - Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:09 PM
This is a really neat thread on the old truck stops.

Somehow we need to make a directory of the ones still in business to patronize on our travels.

I never heard of a lot of these until the thread on the forum.

Hopefully I will make some notes to take with me on travels.

But a directory to distribute would be a good idea once the current and the ones no longer in business are separated.

This would be an ideal job for Rick Knox on his fire duty days. All in favor vote for Rick to get started.
By necktie - Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:10 PM
Even waitresses at the old truck stops dressed like professionals in there day. The Pantyhose had a cute logo.

Hate that I never got to visit it.

By bgardner - Thursday, March 08, 2012 5:57 AM
Dean, was that not Biscuit Hill years ago right about the same location? I know it was just south of I-40 on the west side going towards Hinton and was a good stop.
By dashby - Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:59 AM
Yep, sure was Biscuit Hill--best biscuits in 3 counties. Got really good after about 2 days in the sack. CRUNCHY

Dean
By rickknox - Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:39 PM
What? WHAT? Was I standing on the tracks when the 11;00 pm train came along?

Rick
By wayne graham - Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:40 PM
rickknox (3/8/2012)
What? WHAT? Was I standing on the tracks when the 11;00 pm train came along?

Rick
Evidently so. Wayne
By Brink - Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:06 AM
Hey Dean:

I know big cabin is in Oklahoma, is it on I-35? I.ve seen it, but I have never stopped, I may be able to make that run, if the miles are right. a fellow trucker Sunny
By rickknox - Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:09 AM
Big Cabin, I-44 and US 69
By Brink - Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:39 PM
Hey Rick:

I-44/US-69 Okay Got IT, Never been there, US 75/69 out of texas should get it. I am planning on getting my COE on 5th of May, I might get to do that trip. Wish I could find something closer, for a proving run. Billy bobs has a show, in fort worth. and it's in May, I think the same weekend I get my truck out of Kansas. Thanks for the info A fellow Trucker Sunny
By Brink - Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:52 PM
Hey Drivers:

Just hurd last Sunday that Truckers reopened in Weatherford tx. Right buy the parker county Airport. It's been closed for about two years, almost opened as a chinese resturant, but it never happened.A bunch of us,( retires) plan to be there about 7:30 on Sunday the 25th of March 2012. I really hope it goes this time. Brings back alot of memories for me personally, Stop buy if your around A fellow trucker Sunny
By crackerboxkid - Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:07 PM
I've got a soft spot for good ol' Ma's Truck Stop on I-196 in South Haven, Michigan. A CLASSIC diner-style truck stop. When I was a kid I'd ride my bike there and sit for hours watching the trucks come 'n go. A fixture in town for decades, some guy bought it and ran it into the ground a year ago. It's currently for sale. Very sad....
By dashby - Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:00 PM
Hi Brink,

We have just listed the Big Cabin Truck Show with ATHS. The Show is located at the Big Cabin exit #283 (I44 & US 69) behind the Big Cabin Truck Plaza. This will be the second year and should be a great show.

More info= omerbwill@jct.com

See you there (again) from 6/13/thru 6/15/2013.

Dean

By jackhartjr - Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:56 PM
Sunny, which one was 'Truckers'? I remember the Petro and the one at the 406 I think that had the great little steak house beside it, can't think of the name.
Jack
By willyrem - Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:57 AM
There's one important (to me anyway) thing about the Big Cabin OK truckstop that i liked, they claimed to have the worlds biggest pan fried steak, my type of restaurant ! There was a trucking company next to it that allso had a yard up in Gardner ME but the name escapes me now ?

Charles

I just remembered, it was Frank and sons, i think.
By Brink - Monday, February 25, 2013 9:44 PM
Morning Jackhart: Well as time will have it now that the resturant is open and doing well, the fuel stop is up for sale. The stop is at the east side of the Parker county airport,right at the old 180 and I-20 split there in Weatherford on the South side of I-20 traveling east. In its day before Petro and the like moved into town it was a nice place. The resturant has good food, but now that the truck stop is up for sale again, Its anybodys guess. We still meet on Sunday at 7:30 am but the last time I went I was the only guy there. When I drove I use to sleep there,take my 5 hour knap coming out of Sweetwater with a load of wallboard usually for Home depot in Dallas. I plan on Big cabin, may be in my superduty, I've stopped work on my cabover KW. A fellow trucker Sunny
By jbdistributors - Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:55 PM
Around 1976 or so remember when Petro was just starting out they had a truck stop in Weatherford TX. Brand new but small maybe 30- 40 truck capacity. Great food. The Robin Hood on US 30 around Warsaw,Indiana . The Windmill Wheeling W.Va. The Robin Hood east of Knoxville TN. Abilene 76 Abilene KS. Holbrook Truck Terminal when it was a Shell facility Holbrook AZ. TTT in Tuscon. Sierra Sids.The Forty Niner in Suisan-Fairfied CA. Jubitz in Oregon. Bosselmans in Iowa. There was a Petro in El Paso TX that was nice when it opened and maybe into the early 80's before it turned into a rathole.There was an ARCO in Fontana CA that wasn't too bad they had diner out in front. Ernies Truck Stop in Moses Lake Washington IIRC his last name was Frost good food very friendly place. Liked The Mayflower in Milford CT.There was a KW dealer in the back of the place all the door handles were KW hood ornaments, food wasn't too bad. Jerry's 76 in Manning SC. St Augustine 76 in FL, used to layover in Ft Pierce IIRC it was a 76 not bad.Little mom and pop place in Park City MT, eastbound side of I 90, had great pork chops. Woodpecker in Pendleton OR. Whew the old memory banks are starting smoke got knock it off now.
By Brink - Monday, June 03, 2013 11:09 AM
Well Truckers I've been off the air for a while been an interesting spring, dodged a tornado, but had 120 mph winds at the lake house, did some damage, got aquainted with my chainsaw again; but we are fine, and so is the KW. it was in the paint shop, hope they get it painted this week. I really don't think I will make Big Cabin, but I stop there quite often, buy fuel, eat and often nap. I could get a run up there, hope so, but thats the only way I will make it, if I get to go. best to everybody in Oklahoma city area, hope you are all safe! A fellow Trucker Sunny
By dirtywhiteboy - Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:15 PM
man yall brought up a bunch of old truck stops since i last checked in on this site!!

bills t/s at exit 86 on I-85 north of salisbury nc in the construction zone still open,..but lizards come out after dark!

dudly's t/s on us 220 above rocky mount va on south bound side still got good home cooking!!

is horn's dinner at 17 an 301 in va still open??? noticed it was in that black dog movie other day...

sadler's t/s at I-95 an us 58 emporia va still open an clean an good food

is the national t/s at exit 599 I-20 in long view tx still open??

use to be a lil truck stop up stoughton wi cant remember its name but grand pa use to stop there every week,..good folks good food,..would even take g'pa's personal checks with out battin a eye!!
By dirtywhiteboy - Monday, July 29, 2013 2:51 PM
the bellemont truck stop other side of flagstaffs now a pilot...sad news