http://forums.aths.org/Topic147360.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By ehrldawg - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:34 PM
What is your favorite trucker movie?

erldwgstruckermovies.com
By dirtywhiteboy - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:48 PM
smokey an the bandit or convoy....im bi-polar
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:02 PM
Toss up between the first half of "They Drive By Night" or "Thieves Highway".
By TonyC - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:37 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wages_of_Fear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thieves%27_Highway

By dashby - Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:00 PM
One of my favorites is the last few minutes of "Five Easy Pieces" starring Jack Nicholson.  He hitches a ride in a big logging truck and rides off into the mountain mist--sound of engine pulling up hill with driver going thru the gears--5 and a 3 ??  Sounds like the old Autocar back in the 50's--pullin hard and slow.

Dean
By Terry Tombaugh - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:30 AM
1. Smokey & the Bandit

2. Convoy.

T.
By StevenEngland - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:26 AM
Straight in at No 1 has to be convoy, when this film hit the big screen in the UK, every child wanted to drive a big rig across the US, me included.

Don't want to start a riot here, but second place goes to DUEL. Simply because i love the look of the beat up old truck.

Steven

By scott fidler - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:27 AM
smokey and the bandit

"duel", early 70's, is second, the one where the guy, forget the actor's name... was persued by an old tanker truck, 'til he tricked him into driving the tanker over a cliff
By newfie-trucker - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:44 AM
mine are

1) Steel Cowboy with a White western Star  and staring James Brolin

2) movin on  claude akins in a KW

3) Convoy Kris Kristopherson in a MACK 

Scott the actor in Duel is Dennis weaver  who was in the car being chased by the tanker..
By scott fidler - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:46 AM
yeah, that's the guy's name, dennis weaver, thank's,,, that was bugging me. lol ! do you remember what kind of tractor that was? been so long since i saw it.
By newfie-trucker - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:04 AM
yes it was a Peterbilt

this is the duel truck and trailer with the Convoy mack when it was being restored by Dan Bruno in 06
By scott fidler - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:03 AM
yeah, it was a peterbilt vs. plymouth valiant, i agree he should have bought the hemi ,lol !!!
By Michelle Cole - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:54 AM
I have to agree, Convoy and Smoky and the Bandit have to rank way up on the list. Black Dog is another good one.
By Mark Brubaker - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:56 AM
I like "Hijacked"  with 2 guys that I can't remember the names of...        Maybe Richard Jenson was one of them?
By BBRADMV - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:30 AM
Mark, I agree. Something about the Freightliner going cross country, the conversation between the two guys in the cab and best of all the last scene running into the helicopter. David Jannsen and Keenan Wynn.

Bill
By ehrldawg - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:46 AM
cant wait for when it comes out on dvd.
By ehrldawg - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:49 AM
steel cowboy and movin on is another im waitin for dvd.
By roadcommander300 - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:27 AM
exterminator 2,its about a guy who goes all rouge on crime in his 70s dm600 mack garbage truck,pretty cool,he definatley takes names later ha
By Michelle Cole - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:55 AM
BBRADMV (12/28/2011)
Mark, I agree. Something about the Freightliner going cross country, the conversation between the two guys in the cab and best of all the last scene running into the helicopter. David Jannsen and Keenan Wynn.

Bill

I have that movie on DVD, it was a pretty good one.
By MikeHarbison - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:33 PM
Some of these nobody has mentioned

Although the plot is pretty lame,Moonfire is a good one,lot's of good truck footage of 2 real sharp old Macks,Western R & F models.It has Charles Napier and Sonny Liston in it.

They Drive by Night is a true classic

Highballin' with Jerry Reed and Peter Fonda ain't bad as I remeber but been a long,long time since I seen it.KW K-100 and a Western Star wrecker.

Coast to Coast is another decent one.Robert Blake & a GMC General.

Flatbed Annie & Sweetie pie,kinda cheesy,but has a Superliner as the star,Kim Darby and Annie Potts co star.

Great Smokey Roadblock with Henry Fonda and a KW W900 named Eleanor.
By dirtywhiteboy - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:34 PM
any body remember a 60s-70s movie bout a woman's stuggle in truckin call wonda?
By MikeHarbison - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:37 PM
dirtywhiteboy (12/28/2011)

I think is was "Willa" not Wonda

Another oldie was Breaker,Breaker with Chuck Norris and a KW K100.
By dirtywhiteboy - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:39 PM
MikeHarbison (12/28/2011)
dirtywhiteboy (12/28/2011)

I think is was "Willa" not Wonda

Another oldie was Breaker,Breaker with Chuck Norris and a KW K100.
think you right...
By Mike Garrett - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:42 PM
dashby (12/27/2011)
One of my favorites is the last few minutes of "Five Easy Pieces" starring Jack Nicholson.  He hitches a ride in a big logging truck and rides off into the mountain mist--sound of engine pulling up hill with driver going thru the gears--5 and a 3 ??  Sounds like the old Autocar back in the 50's--pullin hard and slow.

Dean
Dean,

I'm  not clever enough with the 'puter to post links but if you search on youtube the title ;"Jack Nicholson five easy pieces- best ending ever"that will bring up the sence.Nice to hear two sticks under load.
By Mark Brubaker - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:41 PM
ehrldawg (12/28/2011)
cant wait for when it comes out on dvd.

Here's a link to it so it can be watched online...  

By clyde318 - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:52 PM
I liked most of the ones mentioned,also White Line Fever,with Jan-Michael Vincent,until near the end when he TRASHED that beautiful WT 9000, The Blue Mule.
By dirtywhiteboy - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:57 PM
http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/e53145d4-4c74-4ffb-a443-1a3b.jpg
clyde318 (12/28/2011)
I liked most of the ones mentioned,also White Line Fever,with Jan-Michael Vincent,until near the end when he TRASHED that beautiful WT 9000, The Blue Mule.
it was a 2nd truck that got destroyed,...next time you watch it look at stacks an wheels an tanks!
By Michelle Cole - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:37 PM
clyde318 (12/28/2011)

I had totally forgot about that one. It was a good movie. Maybe I need to order the DVD for that one.
By dieselsmoke - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:53 PM
My favorite still has to be Smokey and the bandit 1. I love that 74 w900 Kenworth. Coast to coast is a good one that has not been mentioned yet. I get my old trucker movies from Amazon or Truckerflicks.

http://www.blujay.com/index.html?page=profile&profile_username=truckerflicks&/
By JohnnyMackJr - Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:35 AM
It was not a "big screen" movie, but a 1962 Dick Powell Theatre TV movie, "The Price of Tomatoes" starring Peter Falk (Columbo) and Inger Stevens (Farmer's Daughter) also featured a nice 1956 Ford F800. Falk's character picks up a very pregnant hitchhiker, Stevens, and takes her to the emergency room in the truck, just in time for the birth of her baby. Many of the scenes include the truck. It won an Emmy.
By newfie-trucker - Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:15 AM
anotherm one made for the xmas holidays   Christmas xomes to willow creek  it starred john schneider and tom wopat (aka the Duke boys) driving a yellow freightliner
By StevenEngland - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:56 AM
Hell Drivers is a classic, shot in the UK, around the 50's at a guess featuring Dodge trucks hauling agrigate for a corrupt quarry. Our narrow winding roads will make you smile.

Steven
By Michelle Cole - Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:08 AM
JohnnyMackJr (12/29/2011)
It was not a "big screen" movie, but a 1962 Dick Powell Theatre TV movie, "The Price of Tomatoes" starring Peter Falk (Columbo) and Inger Stevens (Farmer's Daughter) also featured a nice 1956 Ford F800. Falk's character picks up a very pregnant hitchhiker, Stevens, and takes her to the emergency room in the truck, just in time for the birth of her baby. Many of the scenes include the truck. It won an Emmy.

Is that someplace on line where I can view it? I would love to see it.
By Eddy Lucast - Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:36 PM
Michelle, Do a search on http://www.hulu.com , no promises. They've got enough to watch we're thinking about ditching the cable company.
By roKWiz - Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:47 PM
Hi,

Not my favorites but saw these a couple of weeks ago.

One called "Trucker" and the other, an Aussie movie called "Prime Mover".

No 1. has to be "Convoy"

Geoff
By ehrldawg - Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:28 PM
I posted the same question on imdb about a week ago.

Results:

Breakdown (1979)      8(votes)
Duel (1971)                 7
Road Games (1981)    4
Convoy (1978)            4
Smokey And The Bandit (1977)   4
White Line Fever (1975)             3
Joy Rise (2001)                           3
Road Warrior;Mad Max 2 (1981)   2
They Drive By Night (1940)           2
Theives Highway (1949)               2
Deadhead Miles (1972)                2
Black Dog (1998)                         1
Trucker (2008)                             1
Spare Parts (?)                             1
Over The Top (1987)                    1

Useing your response and the responce from imdb and erldwgstruckermovies.com ,I plan on re - ranking the titles on my website erldwgstruckermovies.com ,except 4.
By K2 - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:47 PM
They drive by night     Red ball express
By JohnnyMackJr - Sunday, January 01, 2012 10:56 AM
This link used to have it free online, but I think it's expired...www.ovguide.com/.../dick_powell_theatre_the_price_of_tomatoes.ht...
By ColoradoGreen - Sunday, January 01, 2012 12:52 PM
Smokey and the Bandit I - Snowman/ Jerry Reed's Kenworth is just good looking, plus, it has the enormous convoy scene... "This is not a convoy, this is a dream!"

Highballin' - Again, it comes down to the truck, the K100 is a great looking rig. Not to mention that Western Star wrecker at the end...

Flatbed Annie- Superliner is a god looking rig, and there's some other good loking trucks in it, too.

The long and the short of it is that most truck films have a horrible plotline, but, we'll watch 'em for the trucks.

Troy.
By Jolly - Sunday, January 01, 2012 2:42 PM
Dual & the Big Bus

By goldnugget#61 - Sunday, January 01, 2012 2:59 PM
I own an A model Kenworth today because of  Smokey and the Bandit...I just love the lines on those trucks.  If you ask my brother why he has 2 trans ams he'll say s and b.  So I guess  that's our favorite.

I did watch Highballin recently... its a great movie!   The K100  wears my favorite  cabover paint scheme.
By wayne graham - Sunday, January 01, 2012 3:04 PM
GN, Did you know Burt still has one of the Trans Ams. Wayne
By Don Hancock - Monday, January 02, 2012 1:42 AM
I cant believe nobody mentioned Maximum Overdrive, That had to have the most trucks in one movie.
By John Woge - Monday, January 02, 2012 3:04 AM
Can't believe "Moonfire" wasn't mentioned.  It's the one that Parkhurst, founder of Overdrive mag., put out in the late '60s or early '70s. 

One of the most boring movies I ever watched...............If it wasn't for the good footage of the two beautiful Mack Westerns and the TTT.....don't think I could get through 15 or 20 minutes of it

John
By Don Hancock - Monday, January 02, 2012 5:03 AM
I forgot about that and I have it saved on the computer!
By RICKY352PETES - Monday, January 02, 2012 7:38 AM
I LIKE THEY DRIVE THE LONG HAUL ALOT OF OLD PETES ALL COOL
By goldnugget#61 - Monday, January 02, 2012 9:23 PM
wayne graham (1/1/2012)
GN, Did you know Burt still has one of the Trans Ams. Wayne

It seems fitting he would still have one.   Apparently there's quite a following to the movie on the Pontiacker side too.   Every year about 30 or 40 TA's go on a "beer run" with Brad's Snowman replica  truck.    (High Performance Pontiac Mag)
By dirtywhiteboy - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 2:03 PM
last year one them restore suppliers,..yearone maybe built up bout 25 or 30 bandit T/A's with burts seal of approval an autograph.....to be sold off as collector cars...
By CaboverFever - Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:14 PM
Smokey and the Bandit is by far the best quality.  I don't think anyone has mentioned  Breaker Breaker staring Chuck Norris.
By ehrldawg - Sunday, January 08, 2012 9:49 AM
"They Drive The Long Haul" isnt on imdb.com . Are you sure that is the name of the movie. Do you know about when it came out?
By ehrldawg - Sunday, January 08, 2012 9:52 AM
"The Price Of Tomatos" (1962) isnt on imdb.com . If it won an emmy,im sure it would be there. Are you sure of the title and year?
By RICKY352PETES - Sunday, January 08, 2012 9:55 AM
Theyr on DVDs that you can get from ATHS they drive the long haul and lot more. All cool.!!!
By tomchristopher71 - Sunday, January 08, 2012 2:16 PM
My favorites of what I've seen so far - They Drive by Night with Humphrey Bogart, The Smokey and The Bandit Movies, Trucker (Independent movie about a woman truck driver who takes care of her son when her ex-husband dies), Over The Top and Big Rig - documentary about modern truckers. I've seen Convoy, High Ballin' and White Line Fever but they aren't favorites. I also have a children's video called Big Wheels Rolllin' Mighty Machines. It is for kids but has a segment from the International factory and shows the building of a truck at the factory. 
By roKWiz - Sunday, January 08, 2012 2:21 PM
Would like to get ''Steel Cowboy'' and ''White Line Fever'' on DVD but not available here in Oz

Geoff
By Robert J - Monday, January 09, 2012 6:49 AM
CaboverFever (1/4/2012)
I don't think anyone has mentioned  Breaker Breaker staring Chuck Norris.

Breaker Breaker isn't really a truck movie IMO. Sure, they have some in the beginning but for much of the movie Chuck drives around in a custom Ford van, not a big rig.
By Rob Brown - Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:32 PM
What about BJ and the Bear?? Love it!
By JohnnyMackJr - Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:58 AM
How about "Hoffa?" Jack Nicholson and Danny DeVito...kind of fudged factwise, but some great shots of trucks from the early days all the way into the seventies. Several trucks in the movie belonged to ATHS members.
By Don Hancock - Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:19 AM
I just thought about F.I.S.T. with Sylvester Stallone. Lots of shots of older trucks IIRC.
By dirtywhiteboy - Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:00 AM
a lady friend of mine seen me reading this thread an went an found the complete bj an bear dvd set,..wima ,..flatbed annie an sweety pie,..an highball'in to add to my collection of smoky an bandit 1,2,3,..steel cowboy,..white line fever,.great smoky mt road block,..convoy,..breaker breaker,..in tandum,..hoffa,..fist,..black dawg,..who made who,..never nuff truckin movies!

on a side note,..the 2 tone h-model mack in fist was my great uncals truck,..he bought it new an hauled tobacco with it till he retired it an bought another new mack,..he did that bout ever 4 years....
By roKWiz - Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:25 PM
Hi everyone,

Has anyone mentioned the movies Joy Ride 1 and Joy Ride 2 dead ahead. About an evil trucker "Rusty nails" good action thriller.

Nice Aerodyne Kenworth being towed (yeh Yeh) by a Freightliner in one of the opening sequence of Joy Ride 2.

Geoff
By newfie-trucker - Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:23 AM
beverly hills cop  with eddy murphy hanging on the back of a coe astro while racing trough detroit lol
By ehrldawg - Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:33 PM
I just got a dvd copy of "White Line Fever" at Barnes and Noble.
By autocartodd - Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:55 PM
Smokey and the Bandit ( the 1st one ) and Convoy
By Mike Garrett - Sunday, August 19, 2012 11:01 PM
dashby (12/27/2011)
One of my favorites is the last few minutes of "Five Easy Pieces" starring Jack Nicholson. He hitches a ride in a big logging truck and rides off into the mountain mist--sound of engine pulling up hill with driver going thru the gears--5 and a 3 ?? Sounds like the old Autocar back in the 50's--pullin hard and slow.

Dean
Me too Dean, you just know that an't no Roadranger;);)
By Brink - Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:48 PM
Hey I tell ya if it got a truck in it I like it. You tube is awsome, but it sounds like net flix is gettin upset, They just don't like that free deal, But really you pay in your computer subscription. so your payin for it! A fellow trucker Sunny
By W71Mack - Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:39 PM
I remember two trucking TV shows. "Movin' On" which had the Kenworth W900, and "BJ and the Bear" which it had a Kenworth K100 cabover.
By Toby_S - Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:09 AM
Over The Top