General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Western Star Cabover

http://forums.aths.org/Topic131321.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Eddy Lucast - Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:02 AM
Gee, I always wanted one, now I have to figure out how to get it off the auction lot in Fargo ND by Friday and then get it home.

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/8685cb5e-1881-4179-b107-a584.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/2acdf4f2-4a8f-43be-991a-bf34.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/31de320c-c735-4f6c-b1d3-ccd7.jpg
By Shifty - Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:27 AM
Fly out. Drive home.
By RuralRoute - Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:34 AM
Congratulations!

IIRC, the auction site is only a few miles from the Fargo airport. Fargo has regular shuttle service from MSP, also Amtrak stops there in the early morning hours. If you need a parking space, I live about 200 miles south of Fargo. Also, Friday may not be a "hard" date- the auction site is a fairgrounds and they don't have any big events for the next couple of weeks.
By Eddy Lucast - Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:42 AM
Shifty (7/27/2011)
Fly out. Drive home.

Anybody know anything about temp tags?

One draw back is the title will be two weeks in the coming. So it may have to sit there for two weeks, I'll know more later.
By Dan Bruno - Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:23 AM
I'm sick.  I forgot this was today.  Seeing the prices, I'm even more sick.  I really wanted one of the K100's and the General with the sleeper and Detroit. 
By Dan Bruno - Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:42 AM
I wouldn't have knowingly bid against another ATHS member.  No reason to jack up something I don't "need" in the first place.

Eddy, if you're wanting that problem off your hands.....I'm just sayin'.
By Eddy Lucast - Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:55 AM
Dan Bruno (7/27/2011)
I wouldn't have knowingly bid against another ATHS member.  No reason to jack up something I don't "need" in the first place.

Eddy, if you're wanting that problem off your hands.....I'm just sayin'.
I wasn't going to buy it if it went much higher. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, kinda depends on what it cost me to get it home.

So, how and when is everyone else getting their trucks out of there? Thats my current project!
By wayne graham - Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:52 AM
Eddy, Call the Petro truckstop in Fargo. Schatz family owns it and they have trucks race cars etc. Sure they can help you with a place to park for a few days. There is millions of acres up yhere so some one has a place to park. Yhe Mn scale is closed at night but the truck stop has the phone number to check it at the fuel desk.Should be able to get a temp and drive it home. I think auction co can provide info. you can't be the only one. Wayne
By roadcommander300 - Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:50 AM
where is this auction?
By RuralRoute - Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:20 AM
Red River fairgrounds in West Fargo, North Dakota. IIRC the auction company has several auctions there a year.
By roadcommander300 - Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:51 PM
when is it tomorrow?how would one get a hold of this place to stop the auction ha
By RuralRoute - Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:39 PM
Weather was nice today (for a change) so I took a ride up along the Red River to Fargo to see what I missed out on. As far as needing to move the trucks quick, I talked to a guy from the auction company and he said that if they're not picked up by saturday, they'll just move them to the next lot over to the east and away from the center of the fairgrounds. However, the next tenants are the Pyrotechnic Guild, and they start move in next week.

Eddy and Crackerbox, you're both gonna wanna bring good seat cushions- both your trucks have 4 spring rear suspensions. Both have plates good into early next year and neither appears to be leaking. Eddy, you Western Star has legal tires and all the glass is in good shape. Only blemish I could see was an extra outside frame rail reinforcement on the left side. It looked OK and wasn't sagging, but with the deck plate in the way I couldn't see the inside of the original frame rail. Body looked fine. Crackerbox, there's three small crack spots in your left side windshield, but only one is just maybe a bit bigger than a DOT inspector's quarter and none are in direct line of sight. The tires are OK but for some thin tread on a rear or two, but that's something a DOT inspector would have to get right up close too see. Bodywork is good, except for rust on the bottom of the doors and the tips of the front fenders have obviously been scraped a bit. Both trucks have the classic round Per-Lux lights, but Crackerbox's have cracked lenses.

Gentlemen, have a fun drive home with your new toys!
By Aaron - Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:29 PM
Hope you didn't pay much for your new home Eddy.
By RobBalfour - Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:06 PM
It was a raffle,,he won it in a raffle!!  :Wow:
By Eddy Lucast - Friday, July 29, 2011 2:26 AM
Shhh don't give my secrets away!

WESTERN STAR - cabover, 3406 Cat, 10 spd., farmer owned since 1995, DOT'd last year,

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/1bb5d6fd-6859-4345-a4ba-c66c.jpg
By Shifty - Friday, July 29, 2011 2:53 AM
Eddy

I was just thinking about this move, and it's probably too tall to be hauled.

You'll need to drive it, or tow it from the rear.

I can measure my White High Cab for you if you need an idea of the height.

Yes the 4 spring will beat you up pretty bad, but it's long wheelbase will take some of that out.

Good Luck 
By Eddy Lucast - Friday, July 29, 2011 3:38 AM
Shifty I'd really appreciate a guesstimate on the height.

Driving it would probably be my cheapest option. I have to wait for a duplicate title to be issued to go that route. Does anyone have any experience with obtaining permits that would allow me to drive it home?
By clyde318 - Friday, July 29, 2011 3:54 AM
When I drove the Crackerbox from Ohio to Michigan,I obtained a temporary permit from Ohio.The Astro I drove home from Texas on a Texas temporary that the dealer had obtained for me,and the White I drove home from Delaware using the tag the previous owner had on it. I think Eddy your best bet may be to see about getting a temp from ND. That cab is close to 10' high,you could drop deck it, I think. Forgot to add,CONGRATS. That looks like a nice one.
By J Hancock - Friday, July 29, 2011 4:00 AM
Congrats!  Very nice looking rig.

The Golden Age of Trucking Museum may have been disbanded but the State of CT has a new one at Eddy's house!

Fords, electrics, Western Star , KW's......what will be next?  What will the price of admissions be?

There will have to be a way to defer the price of acquisition!:D
By Eddy Lucast - Friday, July 29, 2011 4:25 AM
I think I have this worked out. I can have it hauled home for $400 more than the cost of fuel to drive it home. Considering if you lose a tire, or?, and its a toss up. Since I don't know much about the truck yet I'll take the peace of mind knowing that's all its going to cost to get it here.

As soon as they tell me they got my money a local towing company will pick it up for $70.00 and store it for $200 a month.
By RuralRoute - Friday, July 29, 2011 7:22 AM
Eddy, that sounds like a good deal and I'd grab it, a few "cost overruns" and you could easily be spending more for an unpleasant trip home. As for the wife, explain to her that the truck is part of the family's "investment portfolio". If she doesn't get it, show her a chart of the NASDAQ stock index, which peaked over a decade ago and has never recovered!

Crackerbox, no problem- I've got a new bike that gets 60 MPG and I've got 5000 miles left on the 3 year warranty that runs out this winter. So it don't take much of an excuse to get me to go for a ride!
By Eddy Lucast - Friday, July 29, 2011 9:04 AM
Plans have been made. The auction company will hang onto it in a secure lot until the transport picks it up in 3 weeks. Should be home by the end of August.
By Shifty - Friday, July 29, 2011 9:55 AM
Eddy

I got 10 feet to the top of the air horn. That's on Dayton 11R22.5.

You might be OK. I had a school bus on my dropdeck that was 10' 2"
By RuralRoute - Friday, July 29, 2011 10:44 AM
IIRC, both the Western Star and General are on 24.5 tires.
By Eddy Lucast - Friday, July 29, 2011 12:27 PM
Shifty, with the stacks and breather off it should fit on a step deck, I hope, and without taking the front wheels off. What year do you think this truck is, I say it looks correct for a 1979?  I think if it was much newer it would have a different turn signal setup on the front corners of the cab. The auctioneer didn't know and is waiting for a duplicate title to be issued.

There sure doesn't seem to be many around!
By TonyClemens - Friday, July 29, 2011 1:11 PM
Were the square headlights used that early? It looks newer than a '79, maybe early to mid '80's.
By Shifty - Friday, July 29, 2011 2:23 PM
Eddy

I don't know. My White's a 87, and it's round eyed.

May have been a feature the Western Star had, so it looked a little nicer?
By Eddy Lucast - Friday, July 29, 2011 2:30 PM
By Michelle Cole - Friday, July 29, 2011 4:44 PM
Our 79 CLT 9000 had square headlights.
By Eddy Lucast - Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:41 AM
Must be time to head thru old Overdrive's. But an ad for a Western Star cabover may be as rare as the truck was. Theres a photo of a 79 WS COE on BMT in Odds & Ends | Other trucks if I can find it.
By Michelle Cole - Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:50 AM
Be aware that some 79 models could have the round headlights. Our 79 CLT had them but they were optional and the lower trim level models had the round ones.
By Eddy Lucast - Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:10 AM
I had a 1979 Road Commander and it had round headlights
By rickknox - Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:13 AM
3 WEEKS! HA, I heard that before LOL. Eddie I'll be hauling --- through Fargo Monday. Let me know where it is, I get you some picks and look it over. I won't have much time but I'll stop.

Rick
By Eddy Lucast - Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:17 AM
rickknox (7/30/2011)
3 WEEKS! HA, I heard that before LOL. Eddie I'll be hauling --- through Fargo Monday. Let me know where it is, I get you some picks and look it over. I won't have much time but I'll stop.

Rick

Sure go ahead and burst my bubble, what are friends for,

STEFFES AUCTIONEERS INC.

2000 MAIN AVE EAST

WEST FARGO, ND 58078-2210

(701) 237-9173

By Eddy Lucast - Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:01 AM
Bob I had mine moved to their private storage lot.
By RuralRoute - Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:02 PM
I took some pix, but they don't show much more than the auctioneer's website did. I tried uploading them, but no luck. I've already been hanging out at this Dairy Queen using the wifi for two hours, so I'd better move on and try to upload the pictures tomorrow.
By Eddy Lucast - Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:44 PM
I've been trying to narrow down the year this was made. I see a comment on Hanks that the WS COE was introduced in 1977 and was discontinued in 1985, Not sure I believe that. The Western Star COE had two basic configurations with the earlier models having a windhield that was 2.5 inches shorter in height than the Road Commander and the later WS COE's sharing the same windshield as the RCII.

Heres a couple of photos taken in 1982, both have the square headlights and show a 2.5 " filler between the bottom of the windshield and the air intake above the radiator. No production figures listed just comments that very few were ever made. The bottom photo of the 1980 Road Commander with the taller windshield.

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/14ecd932-7a27-443f-87e7-388b.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/e90941f1-70bc-4de9-a811-34a1.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/7e960bb4-7ec4-4334-bd9d-074a.jpg
By John Woge - Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:16 AM
Eddy,

Sept '78.....I'll dig the mag out scan the rest of the pictures if your interested ?

John
By John_Costley - Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:22 AM
Eddy,

I dont think I'd believe '85 was the end. I have a White/GMC brochure from '88 that shows the cab, I was thinking WS went into the '90s with it.The promo pic of the big bunk conv. and special paint COE cant be newer than '85, the conventional was redesiegned for '86.John
By John_Costley - Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:25 AM
John Woge (7/31/2011)
Eddy,

Sept '78.....I'll dig the mag out scan the rest of the pictures if your interested ?

John

John,

I dont know about Eddy, but I am, lol.John
By Eddy Lucast - Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:31 AM
John I should have it let me look when I get back this afternoon, we're headed out to see if the KW will run.

That photo confirms one question and maybe one of my suspicions.

Square headlights were used since they were introduced in 1977.

The Western Star COE used the RC II cab two years before White started using a version (different windshields) of it on the Road Commander in 1979. Perhaps the Western Star COE was a field test of the cab for White??
By Aaron - Sunday, July 31, 2011 5:57 AM
Now if you could get that truck out of the scenery shot, that would be a nice picture.
By RuralRoute - Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:09 AM
Eddy, your WS COE clearly has the shorter windshield- the bottom of the windshield is at the same height as the bottom of the side windows and the filler panel above the radiator cap door is clearly visible.
By Dan Bruno - Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:07 PM
The RC2 was out in '77 with the Western Star.  In '85, White started selling the High Cabover which took most of the styling cues of the Western Star cabover except for the windshield.  There was some product overlap but then Western Star dropped the cabover shortly after the High Cabover came out.

The WS cabover fell out of style when the Canadian length laws eased up to allow longer tractors and bigger sleepers.  The bigger sleepers were popular with Canadian team drivers who not only enjoyed the added space for a small TV, but so they could both lay down and watch the hockey game together.  
By Eddy Lucast - Monday, August 01, 2011 2:23 AM
Dan take another look the Road Commander prior to 79 was a different cab.
By roadcommander300 - Monday, August 01, 2011 3:15 AM
i would have bought this truck in a second
By roadcommander300 - Monday, August 01, 2011 3:23 AM
not gonna lie eddy,i am going to harass you when it gets back to conn
By Dan Bruno - Monday, August 01, 2011 3:51 AM
Eddy,

I drove a 1977 Road Commander 2 for a number of years.  It was a daycab twinscrew on Hendrickson with a 290 and a 10 speed, no power steering.  It came from a Electric Company fleet out of South Carolina.  I'm 100% sure it was a 1977.  Somewhere I have pictures of the VIN sticker.  The guy I drove for had a thing for Whites and Peterbilts.  

Dan
By RobBalfour - Monday, August 01, 2011 5:07 AM

LOL John Costley,, I have that same magazine that I bought off ebay. The cover caught my eye,,,,Just because the truck was like the one Carr Hussey used to have. :Whistling:.

Do you remember that truck? We actually wound up with the 335 that came out of it and used it in my father's International for a while.
By Eddy Lucast - Monday, August 01, 2011 7:19 AM
It's official, according to Rick Knox who called me this morning so I could hear my truck running. Sounds like a Cat, he says it's a 3406b with a Brake Saver. In all my years in a trucks I've never run a truck that had a working Jake or brake saver so that'll be something new, I always had to slow down, LOL. Says the tag on the door seems to indicate it was made in Feb of 1979. Told me to come drive it home. He also said Bob made out like a bandit on his General.
By Eddy Lucast - Monday, August 01, 2011 7:37 AM
OK Dan here's the three Road Commander cabs, What year did they go from cab number 1 to number 2?

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/52d746a0-a179-4f7b-9c0d-de41.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/27c5cf46-28b1-4b9b-be60-ef65.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/fbc3a7da-4836-48dd-b4c9-2481.jpg
By RuralRoute - Monday, August 01, 2011 8:37 AM
Rick Knox is right, you both got great deals and could probably drive your trucks home. However, you may not like the "chartruese" color of your Cat engine!

As for when the RC2 came out, I believe it was in the late '70s. And to add intrigue, Bunky Knudsen migrated from GM to Ford to White in the late '60s/ early 70s and reportedly took Larry Shinoda and a bunch of other talented designers with him. Larry Shinoda styled the 3rd generation Corvette that came out in '68, the Boss 302 Mustang, and maybe the Astro/Titan and RC2/RB2/RC2 for White also. They certainly all look like his style.
By TonyClemens - Monday, August 01, 2011 1:30 PM
The company Dad and I worked for bought two new '77 RCII's so they were around at least by then, maybe in '76. 350 Cummins and 13 speed RR trans, pretty nice trucks. I didn't like the position of the shifter, seemed too far back.
By Eddy Lucast - Monday, August 01, 2011 2:37 PM
Tony,

Those were the same style cab as the middle photo below? #2
By TonyClemens - Monday, August 01, 2011 2:57 PM
Eddy Lucast (8/1/2011)
Tony,

Those were the same style cab as the middle photo below? #2

Yes
By MikeF - Monday, August 01, 2011 3:04 PM
I drove a brand new Road Commander in 78-actually lived in it for a couple of weeks between OH and western NY.  Had a 290 squeezer and a 9 spd.  Wasn't much of a puller for 55K lbs, but it was a very nicely equipped truck.  Sure was nice driving a brand new truck for awhile.  Comfortable cab, lots of options, upgraded interiour, tinted glass, alum rims.   Another driver rolled and totaled it in a storm shortly after I got my regular truck back.  I remember seeing it in the dealer's lot all twisted, no glass-a real shame.  A lot more comfortable than the 74 Freightliner, but nowhere near the power, and the fuel mileage wasn't much more than the 350 that the 74 had. As I recall it rode real nice with radials and the Rayco suspension.  Wish I had taken pictures of it.  Mike
By Dan Bruno - Monday, August 01, 2011 3:54 PM
Eddy,

I believe the RC Road Commode came out in '72 to replace the 7000.  It was just a grille/fascia change.  

The RC2 came out in '76 but I believe as a '77 model and featured a cab design that was to become the basis for all of the White family trucks for the next generation.  Certainly, the trade magazines start reviewing the RC2 in mid to late 1976, so it was probably fresh at that time.  I can't find my White video from the ATHS.  It's got really good coverage of the debut of the new family cab.  The first "New Western Star Cabover" brochures show a 1978 Copyright.

The WH White High Cabover came out in '84 as an '85 model (or '83 as an '84, I can't remember which) and adopted the side skirting on the cab of the Western Star cabover.  It came about with the debut of the Volvo inspired grille with the diagonal bar.  It also marked the change to standard quad rectangular headlamps from the single round, although the single round remained available as an option.  The WH replaced the RC2.  I believe this is also the time that Volvo White spun off Western Star into its own company and the Western Star cabover was dropped.

Volvo bought White in '81.  They merged with GM Heavy Truck in late 1987 to become Volvo GM Heavy Truck and carried the WhiteGMC nameplate until '95 when the "Volvo" name and symbol appeared on all models.  Autocar was the only family brand to keep its original badge and name (alongside the Volvo emblem) until its end in 2000.  The cab's Expeditor version was spun off to a new "Autocar" unaffiliated with Volvo as part of an anti-trust arrangement when Volvo bought Mack. It continues production to this day with some updates. 

As an interesting aside, when GM Heavy went to Volvo in 1987, the Brigadier was carried through into 1989 with only a name badge change.  Astros were dropped immediately but some Generals made it into 1988 with a select few set back axle Generals rumored to have made it out the door with a WhiteGMC nameplate.  I've seen one in person but cannot swear it wasn't rebadged.  The updated Aero General that was to compete against the T600 and the new International 8000's never entered production.

There's a great German website about the RC2 at http://www.whiteroadcommander.de/
It has all sorts of brochures on the RC2 and Western Star cabover.
By dieselsmoke - Monday, August 01, 2011 4:02 PM
Heres a 1992-93 GMC/White set back axle I had just painted.

By rickknox - Monday, August 01, 2011 5:45 PM
I just got home. You both bought nice trucks.

Eddy the Western Star is just about the same condition the Shaker was when I bought it. As you know, I buffed the paint and put straight pipes on it and cleaned it up. That's what you have. It has a 3406A model Cat. complete with pre heaters and a BRAKE SAVER. That alone is worth what you paid for it. It sounded real good when I fired it up. I forgot how good a pre cup engine sounded when it was idling cold. Thought it was going to come apart.

Bob, you better sneak out of town in the dark with the General because you STOLE that truck! Man it drove nice! And as you heard on the phone, it sounds real good.

Rick
By John_Costley - Monday, August 01, 2011 9:50 PM
RobBalfour (8/1/2011)

LOL John Costley,, I have that same magazine that I bought off ebay. The cover caught my eye,,,,Just because the truck was like the one Carr Hussey used to have. :Whistling:.

Do you remember that truck? We actually wound up with the 335 that came out of it and used it in my father's International for a while.

Rob,

I remember a sorta state trooper blue one running around with a hired driver in it, but I cant remember who owned it.Pretty rare trucks even back when they were still building them.John
By RobBalfour - Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:22 AM
Carr(who,I'm sure you already know,owned C&J and Truckers International) had one that was just like the one on the cover. Didn't see it around much or for very long but we got the engine from Ledbetter in Bangor. They said it had been sitting in the corner of the shop for over 10 years.
By John_Costley - Tuesday, August 02, 2011 2:02 PM
Rob,

Dont worry, I remember Carr real well, and his partner in crime Chuck.I was the first person to buy fuel at truckers international the night it opened.Gelled up in Bouchards yard that night.Didnt know Carr was an investor in the place at the time, but I guess it was kind of a fitting omen, lol.John