General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

I found a truck that I like ...

http://forums.aths.org/Topic129206.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Dave Taylor - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 4:58 AM
It has a Detroit 8V92 435hp. I would like to know if this would be a good motor or should I not bother with it.

I would be using it as a toy.
By Michelle Cole - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:22 AM
Dave, you ask a tough question. We know nothing of the condition of the engine. We know nothing of your likes or dislikes as far as engines go. It all comes down to personal preferences and condition of the equipment. If the engine is an engine that you like and is mechanically sound and in a truck that you like then it is good.
By peterj - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:48 AM
I think the 8v92 is a lot of fun in a hobby truck, if it is a silver 92...
If you work it , it goes through fuel like a hole in the tank..  lol.

By Aaron - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:01 AM
Of the 4 trucks we took to South Bend, the Cab over I drove had a big cam 3 or 4, 400 grossing about 56/57000, Terrys 55 KW with  a supercharged 320 was grossing about 54000, we both used the same amount of fuel each day 85 to 88 gals the Manure Spreader is a two axle with a 92 in it and the 2 axle Kw has a 350 both about 45000# range, they used around 50 gals a day, we traveled somewhat around 450 each day.
By Dave Taylor - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:25 AM
I was told the motor was overhauled about 200,000 miles ago.
By Old Roadway Truck - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:28 AM
I'm no expert but my own experience was positive with Detroits. Roadway had a bunch of the old Whites with 6v92's. When they were lower mileage they had decent power. Even after they were quite aged you still couldn't kill them. Even when they were going through a gallon of oil per day they still ran ok. In the winter the tired ones would take a lot of ether and a couple tanks of air to start. The last one I had assigned to me was a great running truck. When I first started driving it, the old girl seemed tired. Then one of the older guys said to put trans fluid in it for a couple weeks. That cleaned it right up. I pulled loads up to 42000# with that truck. They finally retired it when it was 21 years old. It still ran great. Hopefully it wasn't cut up. I wish I had it now.
By Geoff Weeks - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:47 AM
The older I get the more I realize there is good and bad of everything. A hobby truck with a 8V92 ? I wouldn't hesitate for a miniute, If I was going to work it, then I would be more intrested in condition and update in the engine. Old detroits are fairly easy to work on and very simple, although there is an adjustment for just about everything includeing when the driver wants to wake up in the morning! It can be fineiky getting all the adjustments to work togther, but not inpossable by any means. There were and are great Detroit tuners out there. It take paticents more then anything else. They have a unique sound and that can be wearing on you if you drive it alot. I always say my 6-71 sound like it working hard backing out of the barn!

I think Cummins power is the simplest overall for the non-mechanicly inclined to own and run. Detroit will keep on going with much wrong or out of adjustment, Cat will pull hard and give good mileage, but be prepard to pay when it comes to working on them. I have all three in my stable, and can't say one is hands down better then the rest.
By Dave Taylor - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 11:41 AM
Well thanks for all the replies. I think I will take a look at this truck to help make up my mind on it. If it hasen't sold by the time I go look at it.

I think it might be worth the 4.5 hour ride to go look at it. I think it would be a fun toy to have with the Screamin Detroit.

If I go look at it I will take pictures to post.
By curdog - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 12:38 PM
Dave

If ya buy it, be sure to get the torque. I musta forgot to check, because I think the fella I got my truck off kept it...... 
By glenn akers - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 1:30 PM
curdog (7/5/2011)
Dave

If ya buy it, be sure to get the torque. I musta forgot to check, because I think the fella I got my truck off kept it...... 
      You should have known that salesmens cant be trusted. He may still have it but it will cost you.
By curdog - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 1:34 PM
That's the trouble, Glenn. He wasn't a salesman. Me and salesmen get along about as well as me and those fellas Eddy dont let us talk about...
By Dave Taylor - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 2:09 PM
curdog I don't have a clue what you are talking about..............
By curdog - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 2:39 PM
Are you sure you can handle a Detroit??????
By Dave Taylor - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 2:42 PM
I am just looking for constructive information ...... I have never owned one
By curdog - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 2:47 PM
Just kidding ya Dave. The old Detroits are a little lacking in low RPM pulling dept. However, in a toy truck there's nothing more fun than a Detroit (or sounds better). 
By curdog - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 2:51 PM
Dave

Here's a 8V92 475hp/RTO14613. I helped a buddy take the 318 out of this truck and we got this engine out of a Ford CL 9000 wreck. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yarNjAWXYFc
By tomchristopher71 - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:25 PM
Old Roadway Truck (7/5/2011)
When I first started driving it, the old girl seemed tired. Then one of the older guys said to put trans fluid in it for a couple weeks. That cleaned it right up.

Not to steal the thread but what does trans fluid help with in an older Detroit? Do you put it in the crankcase?  
By Dave Taylor - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:29 PM
I am not sure what to do here. I have been hearing both good and bad about this 8V92. Some say they like to blow up

and others say it would be fine.

I am so undecided.
By skeeter - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:31 PM
435 was ok... not a powerhouse...  for a playtruck  will do fine...  tranny fluid  was put in fuel... cheap fuel treatment... cleanup the carbon... 5 inch straights... fun  
By wayne graham - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 4:34 PM
Tom, trans fluid is high detergent and we used to use it as a fuel additive as it helped keep injectors clean. When they passed the law about red dye in off road fuel only that was the end of it. Do not get caught with anything red in your fuel today as it is quite a fine. For a fuel additive today I use Howes in the winter and bio in the summer but I am sure there are other things available as well. Wayne  Ps. the tranny fluid would help make a 6 inch flame at night on a natural aspirated cummins.
By Freightrain - Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:10 PM
If I recall correctly, there is a GREEN and SILVER model and the silver is the better of the two.   Dan Renovetz could tell you all the specifics of the good/bads.

I looked at a KW a few years ago with that motor and would have LOVED to own it.  Just didn't work out.
By junkmandan - Wednesday, July 06, 2011 4:20 AM
Dave-----I read through the whole thread and don't recall seeing the age of the truck or the age of the engine  . 92s  came out in 1974 as 430 HP for the V8,then went to 435,440,445, and with the Silver improvements in 1982  got up to 475 with about 1350 ft. lb. torque . Just always be cautious of water in the oil as it won't tolerate much water . It is a wet sleeve engine ,as is the 53 series . 71 series is dry sleeve .
By Eddy Lucast - Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6:18 AM
One of the first trucks I drove as a teenager had a silver diamond engine in it. The truck was pretty much gone but the motor still ran good. We used it back in the woods.. so much for the fenders :P
By W71Mack - Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6:25 AM
glenn is right about salesmen at car and truck dealerships.  They say that the product they sell can come equippped the way you want it, but it can cost you and sometimes what they tell you isn't the truth.  I tried to get in contact with Kenworth to do a video ride-along in one of the trucks they sell and they stated that the guy that's in charge of handling that wasn't there.  So I set up a fix on them. I told the manager on hand to write up the people that didn't show up for work that were supposed to show up for work.  So when the guys would get written up for not showing up when they were suppoed to, they would sue.  The sales manager on hand should have said that they were no longer permitted to give rides to truck enthusiasts especially to film the trucks.