General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Blogs

V/VT903 Cummins pictures

http://forums.aths.org/Topic126037.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By John_Costley - Saturday, June 04, 2011 1:46 PM
If any of you folks have any under the hood pics, or brochures, on V or VT903 Cummins I sure would appreciate it if you could post them.I was in a conversation the other day about where one will and wont fit, now Im curious about a few things.Thanks,John.
By deguitars - Saturday, June 04, 2011 1:52 PM
John, there was one in a K100 for sale awhile back maybe on Truck Paper? It might even still be there, I'll see if I can find the photos if I saved them.

Cheers,
David
By TOM GEORGE - Saturday, June 04, 2011 2:51 PM
Here is a few pictures

By John_Costley - Saturday, June 04, 2011 2:55 PM
deguitars (6/4/2011)
John, there was one in a K100 for sale awhile back maybe on Truck Paper? It might even still be there, I'll see if I can find the photos if I saved them.

Cheers,
David

David,

I think I remember that one, a '74 with blue paint, center point steering, torsion bar suspension, and a VT903 ?.I didnt save pics from it.John
By John_Costley - Saturday, June 04, 2011 2:58 PM
Tom,

Thanks alot.Ive got more pics of that six turbo Pete, including some burnout shots, if you want to see them.Neet truck, but with those headers it didnt show the relation of the manifolds to the frame that I was looking for.The others helped alot.Thanks.John
By Michelle Cole - Saturday, June 04, 2011 5:13 PM
Here are a few pictures of one I had a couple of years ago.

By John_Costley - Sunday, June 05, 2011 12:40 AM
Michelle,

Thanks, I remember that one.Those exhaust manifolds look like they would flow real well, but it would probably take notched rails to fit them in a truck.John
By glenn akers - Sunday, June 05, 2011 2:12 AM

Parts Catalog - Option Detail

BACK TO OPTION LIST  |   PRINT OPTION DETAIL
Electronic Parts Catalog - Option Detail
OptionGroupGraphicFilm CardDate
FCEA1499.01nullDD02-APR-11
EnginesVT8, V903

This engine must be militaryThis
Ref NoPart NumberFor-SaleShopping CartPart NameRequiredRemarks
 FCEA14NOCODE,FUEL Fuel pump calibration
      Advertised Power: 0600 BHP
      At 2600 RPM
      Peak torque: 1212 FT LB at
      2000 RPM
      Governed Power: 0000 BHP At
      0000 RPM
      CPL: 3045
      Certified By: None cal
      restr: None
      Power Rating: N/A
      Engine Control System: Ind
      Application: Nonroad cert
      level: None.

This engine must be military

By Stretch - Sunday, June 05, 2011 6:50 AM
John, I've got one in  a '65 Pete conventional. Frame rails are not notched. It even fit under the butterfly hood.
I'll check and see if I have any pictures handy.
By Stretch - Sunday, June 05, 2011 7:02 AM
John,
Here's one with the hood off. The truck is stalled in "mid-restoration" now. I can take more specific pictures if needed.
By deguitars - Sunday, June 05, 2011 7:25 AM
So what do these engines sound like? 

David
By Mike_Blais - Sunday, June 05, 2011 8:14 AM
Here's one from up your way in a White 4000:

By John Woge - Sunday, June 05, 2011 12:22 PM
deguitars (6/5/2011)

David

I think they sound like a 534 Ford gas....they have a very distinctive sound

John
By Richard - Sunday, June 05, 2011 3:30 PM
Sound like???     I always think of an IH/Ford 7.3 on steroids.
By John_Costley - Sunday, June 05, 2011 9:45 PM
glenn akers (6/5/2011)

Parts Catalog - Option Detail

BACK TO OPTION LIST  |   PRINT OPTION DETAIL
Electronic Parts Catalog - Option Detail
OptionGroupGraphicFilm CardDate
FCEA1499.01nullDD02-APR-11
EnginesVT8, V903

This engine must be militaryThis
Ref NoPart NumberFor-SaleShopping CartPart NameRequiredRemarks
 FCEA14NOCODE,FUEL Fuel pump calibration
      Advertised Power: 0600 BHP
      At 2600 RPM
      Peak torque: 1212 FT LB at
      2000 RPM
      Governed Power: 0000 BHP At
      0000 RPM
      CPL: 3045
      Certified By: None cal
      restr: None
      Power Rating: N/A
      Engine Control System: Ind
      Application: Nonroad cert
      level: None.

This engine must be military

Glenn,

Yup, I'd say she is definatly millitary even if it wasnt painted that color.The millitary has used the V/VT903 in alot of applications.The version they have been building on for the last 20 or so years is a big cam version, alot tougher than the original truck engines but still interchangeable.Check out this PDF brochure.John
By John_Costley - Sunday, June 05, 2011 9:51 PM
Stretch (6/5/2011)
John,Here's one with the hood off. The truck is stalled in "mid-restoration" now. I can take more specific pictures if needed.
Stretch,

Thanks.Whether or not the 903 was narrow enough to fit in most of the old butterfly hooded trucks was one thing we discussed.That picture says a thousand words.Thanks.John
By John_Costley - Sunday, June 05, 2011 9:59 PM
Mike_Blais (6/5/2011)
Here's one from up your way in a White 4000:

Mike,

Thanks.Rob posted a pic of that one on facebook, but he didnt show any pics of the engine.That pic confirms something that was talked about, mainly that V903 exhaust manifolds were often very "application specific" to the truck manufacturer.I'd hate to have to try to track down the one in the pic, wouldnt be suprised if the steering shaft notch and the over the rail outlet were White application only.John
By John_Costley - Sunday, June 05, 2011 10:11 PM
deguitars (6/5/2011)

David

David,

Ironically the lowest powered versions sound the best.A VT400 or a VTA600 sound pretty good, but a naturally aspirated V903, 290 or 320 hp, sounds like a big nasty gasser with a serious bark on every exhaust pulse.Even sounds like it has a lope to it at an idle, like someone stuck a hotter cam in it, lol.Putting a turbo, or turbos, on it takes away the exhaust bark.

Hearing one of the naturally aspirated engines go up thru the gears empty with a good driver behind the wheel grabbing them quick without the clutch at the factory 2,600 or 2,800 rpm limit, pushing thru dual 4" peashooters, will make the hairs on the back of youre neck standup.Listening to the jake snap on will jerk youre head around, one of the loudest engines on a jake Ive ever heard, no matter how good the mufflers are.A real window breaker with loose mufflers or straight pipes.Definatly my favorite sounding diesel of all time.John
By John_Costley - Sunday, June 05, 2011 10:20 PM
David,

Heres a short video of one, its not in a truck, looks like they are trying to kill it  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGNo0GZSMK8  in the sidebar on the right theres a short video of the six turbo drag Pete that Tom posted a pic of.John
By TonyClemens - Sunday, June 05, 2011 10:50 PM
I think it's been discussed here before, but didn't the KW in Smokey and the Bandit have a VT903 in it? 
By Brocky - Monday, June 06, 2011 7:40 AM
John

Please go to brockwaytrucks.com :: Your question got transfered to that site also and there are some more comments for you. Penn Yan Express had them in their 359 Brockways pulling doubles on the NY Thruway.

I have a 504 in my 358 Brockway and two 555 engines, the only difference being the stroke, in a shed. I hope to build a useable 555 out of the three when I get into the restoration. Planning on duals with Riker mufflers, and hope to be able to find a Jake??
By JohnnyMackJr - Monday, June 06, 2011 8:43 AM
My '72 Dodge CNT900 has a V903 stuffed in the engine compartment. It's the high mounted cab version and much of the "V" of the engine block sits above the upper area of the frame rails in order for the exhaust manifolds to fit. The engine has a sound all its own and through a straight pipe it resembles the sound of a diesel V8 at low RPM, but takes on the sound of a diesel locomotive engine above 1,500 RPM.
By LUST01 - Monday, June 06, 2011 10:08 AM
I don't know about the Smokey and the Bandit truck but the W900 in the tv show "Moving On" had a VT-903 in it. There are pictures on the internet on TimsTrucks.com.

http://timstrucks.site.aplus.net/images/images_oct/bettyundersonnyhood_a.jpg
By Stretch - Monday, June 06, 2011 3:23 PM
John, I think it's a good sounding engine too.
 Probably why I got suckered into the rust bucket it's in! 
There's definitely an undertone similar to a 3408.
Does it really deserve the nickname nine-o-nothing?
By rickknox - Monday, June 06, 2011 3:31 PM
YES!Their gutless
By peterj - Monday, June 06, 2011 3:52 PM
No torque. Look at the figures Glenn posted, 600hp but only 1200ftlb..
600hp today would be close to 2000ftlb.... My little 237 mack is close to 1000ftlb...
By TOM GEORGE - Monday, June 06, 2011 4:01 PM
Here's a short video of my 903 Pete. Me and Tj will do a video of us pulling up a hill and jake braking down it on the same hill we did with the Crackerbox.
By Mackdaddy - Monday, June 06, 2011 5:58 PM
John,

You description is right on. I had the VT903's in  Gardner Denver rotary compressors. When they were running full rpm the exhaust pipes would just shake and the thump could be heard on every stroke.They would take out mufflers quickly.  Had a very powerful deep throated sound. unfortunately, it got to where Cummins wanted nearly 20k for rebuilding them so we moved on. Just took delivery of 6 new Sullivan's with Cummins QISX at 535HP.
By John_Costley - Monday, June 06, 2011 9:51 PM
TonyClemens (6/6/2011)
I think it's been discussed here before, but didn't the KW in Smokey and the Bandit have a VT903 in it? 

Tony,

Nope, in an interview with Hal Needham ( posted somewhere here) he stated that it was a KT450 with a 13 speed.In the same interview he said that Smokey and the Bandit 2 would use a Pete with a KTA 600 that Bandit and Snowman bought with the money from winning the bet at the end of Smokey and the Bandit 1, but we all know GM stepped in with a General since they were supplying all of the cars too.John
By John_Costley - Monday, June 06, 2011 9:53 PM
Brocky (6/6/2011)
John

Please go to brockwaytrucks.com :: Your question got transfered to that site also and there are some more comments for you. Penn Yan Express had them in their 359 Brockways pulling doubles on the NY Thruway.

I have a 504 in my 358 Brockway and two 555 engines, the only difference being the stroke, in a shed. I hope to build a useable 555 out of the three when I get into the restoration. Planning on duals with Riker mufflers, and hope to be able to find a Jake??

Brocky,

Thanks.Nice site, liked some of the questions on youre general board, like the Detroit 12V71 and drag racing threads.

Questions from there could start a new thread here too ( hint,hint,lol).John
By John_Costley - Monday, June 06, 2011 9:56 PM
[quote]LUST01 (6/6/2011)
I don't know about the Smokey and the Bandit truck but the W900 in the tv show "Moving On" had a VT-903 in it. There are pictures on the internet on TimsTrucks.com.

http://timstrucks.site.aplus.net/images/images_oct/bettyundersonnyhood_a.jpg[/quote]

Matt,

I think that was the single bunk from the pilot episode.John
By John_Costley - Monday, June 06, 2011 10:06 PM
Stretch (6/6/2011)
John, I think it's a good sounding engine too. Probably why I got suckered into the rust bucket it's in! There's definitely an undertone similar to a 3408.Does it really deserve the nickname nine-o-nothing?
Stretch,

Like Rick and Peter said, they didnt make much torque considering their size.The regular six cylinder Cummins were only 855 cubes but made more torque.The V903s popularity was based on it being lightweight and short enough to fit under a short hood.I love the sound of one, but I wouldnt want to work one for a living.John
By John_Costley - Monday, June 06, 2011 10:08 PM
TOM GEORGE (6/6/2011)
Here's a short video of my 903 Pete. Me and Tj will do a video of us pulling up a hill and jake braking down it on the same hill we did with the Crackerbox.

Tom,

Cant wait, thanks.John
By John_Costley - Monday, June 06, 2011 10:11 PM
Mackdaddy (6/6/2011)
John,

You description is right on. I had the VT903's in  Gardner Denver rotary compressors. When they were running full rpm the exhaust pipes would just shake and the thump could be heard on every stroke.They would take out mufflers quickly.  Had a very powerful deep throated sound. unfortunately, it got to where Cummins wanted nearly 20k for rebuilding them so we moved on. Just took delivery of 6 new Sullivan's with Cummins QISX at 535HP.

Hopefully you'll have good luck with the Q series of the ISX.We have pretty good luck with them, the only regular problems we have are with the emmisions equipment, the engines themselves are very solid.John
By LUST01 - Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:20 AM
John

Here is another picture from that Overdrive photo shoot. You can tell it a W900 VIT with twin breathers and stacks. The In Tandem truck was a single right side air cleaner and stack and a 36" sleeper. It has been 40 years but I remember seen the engine on the TV show the few time they showed it. At first I thought it was a Detroit but learned later it was a VT-903 after seen the 903 on the valve cover in one of the shots. This Overdrive was just for sell on E-bay this past week. Some one else won. Out sniped me by a $1.00. Kenworth used this truck in a few different brochures and promotional literature. Some of this literature claimed the engine was NTC-350 but I knew this was wrong from the engine shots I remember from the TV show. Some writer must have assumed it was a NTC-350 by the horsepower rating not realizing the VT-903 had the same rated hp.

Matt

http://timstrucks.site.aplus.net/images/images_oct/bettypullingonsonny_a.jpg
By grenfell34 - Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:49 AM
john  903,s were a very popular engine down under in the 70,s they were in just about everything! had a customer with a vt350 in a 9000 ford pullin road trains we built that engine to a fire crash tender cpl with marine aftercoolers upped the c,c on the injectors an a bunch of fuel pressure it made 470 hp at the flywheel an would run with a kt450 all day
By Eddy Lucast - Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:14 AM
Cummins did a presentation at the convention and touched on each of the engine families. IIRC his comments on the 903 were that they were either a good engine or bad engine from the start. Those that proved good from the factory never had problems but those that had problems seemed to always have problems. Once they were opened up and rebuilt it was anyones guess how successful the rebuild would be.

I had an owner operator leased to me with one in a KW and he rebuilt it 3 times one year. I always attributed that to his driving habits but after hearing the Cummins folks, maybe not??
By Mackdaddy - Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:21 PM
John,

I went with the Cummins over CAT in this purchase as we were told they got better fuel economy. What disappointed me is the quality of the Cummins finished product. There are complete missed areas in the paint jop and they oversprayed all of the hoses and cables. I just expect the American worker to take more pride in the presentation. I believe they were manufactured in VA??
By Dennis Wells AKA Smiley - Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:45 PM
Most Compressor owners would not even noticed. I am surprised you did, (no disrespect) they are income earners.

I bought 3 forklifts a month ago I haven't even taken the time to look at.

Of course I am in the Equipment Rental business where it does not pay to fall in love with your equipment.

Every body knows my luck with my ISX although the last 20,000 miles have been uneventful.
By Mackdaddy - Tuesday, June 07, 2011 5:55 PM
well, you are probably right but I think I just have such an interest in all names related to trucks. After reading the books about Clessie Cummins and my time working with and playing with older Cummins, I just take it more personal I guess. And at the end of the day don't forget that I am a proud professional painter!!
By John_Costley - Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:35 PM
[quote]LUST01 (6/7/2011)
John

Here is another picture from that Overdrive photo shoot. You can tell it a W900 VIT with twin breathers and stacks. The In Tandem truck was a single right side air cleaner and stack and a 36" sleeper. It has been 40 years but I remember seen the engine on the TV show the few time they showed it. At first I thought it was a Detroit but learned later it was a VT-903 after seen the 903 on the valve cover in one of the shots. This Overdrive was just for sell on E-bay this past week. Some one else won. Out sniped me by a $1.00. Kenworth used this truck in a few different brochures and promotional literature. Some of this literature claimed the engine was NTC-350 but I knew this was wrong from the engine shots I remember from the TV show. Some writer must have assumed it was a NTC-350 by the horsepower rating not realizing the VT-903 had the same rated hp.

Matt

http://timstrucks.site.aplus.net/images/images_oct/bettypullingonsonny_a.jpg[/quote]

Matt,

Neet info.We could probably start a whole other thread about that show and the trucks.I knew there were two of them, plus the single bunk.ATHS member Paul Sagehorn owns one of the big bunks, Ive read its a straight six but Ive never seen pics under the hood.Wonder where the 903 powered one went ?.John
By John_Costley - Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:41 PM
grenfell34 (6/7/2011)
john  903,s were a very popular engine down under in the 70,s they were in just about everything! had a customer with a vt350 in a 9000 ford pullin road trains we built that engine to a fire crash tender cpl with marine aftercoolers upped the c,c on the injectors an a bunch of fuel pressure it made 470 hp at the flywheel an would run with a kt450 all day

Grenfell,

I figured they must have been pretty popular down under, seems like most of the old trucks at shows have them, and alot of the old magazine articles and adverts show them.

Do you remember them being any less reliable than the other engines of that time ?.How did that custom 470 do for lifespan, any problems or did it run out to the end fairly normal ?.John
By John_Costley - Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:55 PM
Eddy Lucast (6/7/2011)
Cummins did a presentation at the convention and touched on each of the engine families. IIRC his comments on the 903 were that they were either a good engine or bad engine from the start. Those that proved good from the factory never had problems but those that had problems seemed to always have problems. Once they were opened up and rebuilt it was anyones guess how successful the rebuild would be.

I had an owner operator leased to me with one in a KW and he rebuilt it 3 times one year. I always attributed that to his driving habits but after hearing the Cummins folks, maybe not??

Eddy,

Makes you wonder if maybe they had some casting problems going on.I remember when the 444 was a new engine in the '80s, an O/O I knew almost landed in the poorhouse from getting multiple warranty rebuilds for bad pistons/rings in the coarse of the first year.Cummins finally popped for a crate replacement after the regional rep assisted on the 3rd (4th?) rebuild and determined there was no fault with how the dealer was doing the work.They found out when the factory disected it, the block had core shift issues on a couple of cylinders, they were slightly out of round.With heat, it exagerated it and distorted the liner.

Considering the cost of boring a block and adding thicker liners ( not to mention most folks did in-frames, not out of frames), I wouldnt be suprised if some of those 903 engines had simular problems that never got found and cured just because boring was always seen as a last resort on a diesel block, versus being a standard truing practice on a gas rebuild.Cant build a solid house if you dont have a strong foundation.John
By John_Costley - Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:59 PM
Mackdaddy (6/7/2011)
John,

I went with the Cummins over CAT in this purchase as we were told they got better fuel economy. What disappointed me is the quality of the Cummins finished product. There are complete missed areas in the paint jop and they oversprayed all of the hoses and cables. I just expect the American worker to take more pride in the presentation. I believe they were manufactured in VA??

I hate to say it, but we see that alot on everything nowadays.Everybody is in a hurry to speed things up and not many folks take pride in what they do.John
By LUST01 - Wednesday, June 08, 2011 10:12 AM
John

I also read or saw some where that there were two Kenworths W900 VIT's used in the series. One was set up with camera and light mounts used for interior shots and the other was used for exterior shots. One would think they would be equipped the same but may be one had a six and the other had the VT-903. I also heard that the diesel sounds thay used for the show was from the Marmon camera truck they used on the show. It would be nice if Paul would chime in a talk about his Movin On truck.

Another other movie with a 903 sighting is Broke Back Mountain. I wouldn't pay to see the movie but watched it on HBO. One of the cowboys was a farm equipment salesman and in one shot he was giving his son a ride in a big 4 wheel drive farm tactor that was powered by a 903 Cummins
By Stretch - Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:06 PM
John,
You may be right on the need for boring. I know my engine has the machinist's boring tag on it.
By grenfell34 - Wednesday, June 08, 2011 8:03 PM
john thankyou for the reply   that engine suprised all of us  it did  over 300,000 miles one turbo [holset] an a cam at around 180,000 plus a couple asets of injectors  it did road train work all its life  pullin 3 trailers at 96 to 105 ton gross weight on roads that most american just can,t imagine. but it did like a drink in the end the owner streched the frame an fitted a ltl hood an we fitted a kta 600ex usa . most americans i have spoken to about 903 ,s have no time for them  but done here they were a very honest engine as a cummins mechanic of 40 years i still have fond memorys of them an own one in a s2 kw
By LUST01 - Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:40 PM
Did a search on the internet and found several articals on Paul Sagehorn and his Movin On Kenworth. One article mentioned that VT903 was replaced with a BC3 400 by a previous owner. Paul replaced the BC3 400's bad block with a NTC 444 block during a rebuild. A previous owner also stretched the frame and installed a Texas bumper.

http://www.tenfourmagazine.com/PerfZone/2007/5.html
By John_Costley - Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:54 PM
grenfell34 (6/9/2011)
john thankyou for the reply   that engine suprised all of us  it did  over 300,000 miles one turbo [holset] an a cam at around 180,000 plus a couple asets of injectors  it did road train work all its life  pullin 3 trailers at 96 to 105 ton gross weight on roads that most american just can,t imagine. but it did like a drink in the end the owner streched the frame an fitted a ltl hood an we fitted a kta 600ex usa . most americans i have spoken to about 903 ,s have no time for them  but done here they were a very honest engine as a cummins mechanic of 40 years i still have fond memorys of them an own one in a s2 kw

Thats not bad mileage at all considering the weight hauled and the summer time temps you get down there.Post some pics of youre S2 some time.John
By John_Costley - Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:55 PM
[quote]LUST01 (6/9/2011)
Did a search on the internet and found several articals on Paul Sagehorn and his Movin On Kenworth. One article mentioned that VT903 was replaced with a BC3 400 by a previous owner. Paul replaced the BC3 400's bad block with a NTC 444 block during a rebuild. A previous owner also stretched the frame and installed a Texas bumper.

http://www.tenfourmagazine.com/PerfZone/2007/5.html[/quote]

Matt,

Ive actually read that article before, didnt remember the part about the VT swap.Must be getting old,lol.John
By JEllingwood - Thursday, June 09, 2011 5:09 AM
John,

The earlier post of a 1971 White 4000 with a 903 belongs to Adam Libby of Windham. If you would like to go look at it sometime I can help you arrange it or meet you over there if he is busy

John Ellingwood
By deguitars - Thursday, June 09, 2011 6:55 AM
That article says the one of the W900's for "Movin' On" was the very first big bunk VIT W900 made but I've probably read that about half a dozen different trucks over the years so it seems unlikely. Does anyone know where that information came from? I would think the first one would have been used by the factory in some fashion...i.e. photographs, etc.

Cheers,
David
By Cam - Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:39 AM
LUST01 (6/8/2011)
John

I also heard that the diesel sounds thay used for the show was from the Marmon camera truck they used on the show.

ATHS treasurer Mike Colton used to own a Marmon COE that I am nearly certain is the truck in question.  It had a 318 that had been converted to a 350.  You could tell by the way the exhaust plumbing had been altered that it used to have two separate straight exhausts, L and R, and they had to modify it all for the addition of the turbo.

When he bought the truck it had a very long (I think 30') van body with lift gate on it, a movie studio equipment truck.  (He still has the body.  Its a building now.) The frame had been stretched.  He cut it down and made it a more traditional CA style truck and trailer flatbed.  The truck had the original bumper, and a very old homemade license place holder on the front.  He sold the truck to one of Art Van Beek's relatives, maybe?  Years later, when I saw a pic of the Marmon used in shooting Movin' On, the truck had the exact same homemade license plate bracket.  I think its the same truck, particularly given that this truck had been a studio van.  The movie people repurpose trucks quite a bit to suit their needs.
By John_Costley - Thursday, June 09, 2011 9:24 PM
JEllingwood (6/9/2011)
John,

The earlier post of a 1971 White 4000 with a 903 belongs to Adam Libby of Windham. If you would like to go look at it sometime I can help you arrange it or meet you over there if he is busy

John Ellingwood

John,

Any chance he will bring it to Owlshead next month?.John
By John_Costley - Thursday, June 09, 2011 9:30 PM
deguitars (6/9/2011)
That article says the one of the W900's for "Movin' On" was the very first big bunk VIT W900 made but I've probably read that about half a dozen different trucks over the years so it seems unlikely. Does anyone know where that information came from? I would think the first one would have been used by the factory in some fashion...i.e. photographs, etc.

Cheers,
David

David,

Maybe its because of this brochure.John
By JEllingwood - Friday, June 10, 2011 3:33 AM
John,

Yes Adam is planning on bringing his White to Owls Head July 23 and 24

By long9500 - Friday, June 10, 2011 4:48 AM
In my GMC books the v903 was an option. Had anyone seen one in a jimmy?
By Michelle Cole - Friday, June 10, 2011 10:08 AM
Alan and I were walking into a truck stop in Phoenix one evening and the Moving on crew was just finishing up some filming there. Alan snapped a picture of me with Claude Akins and we got a few of the truck too. Over the years I have lost the pictures we made that night, sure wish I could find then now. Here is a picture of the Sunny Pruitt KW sitting at the Tucson Truck Terminal in Tucson.

By John_Costley - Friday, June 10, 2011 11:15 PM
JEllingwood (6/10/2011)
John,

Yes Adam is planning on bringing his White to Owls Head July 23 and 24

John,

Cool.Im not a big fan of spokes but thats a neet little truck.John
By John_Costley - Friday, June 10, 2011 11:22 PM
long9500 (6/10/2011)

Jason,

The only one Ive ever seen in a Jimmy was a custom install.When I first started driving there was a southern guy (Georgia?) pulling a flatbed with a yellow 900 series Jimmy with a bunk on it.Real pretty with dual straights (loud) and aliminum budds.The 903 had polished valve covers and he ran the truck with the hood sides off so everyone could see.A real working Hot Rod.I saw him up in the northeast alot in the '80s but I havent seen him since the early '90s.

Always wondered whatever happened to that truck.Between the bright yellow paint and the 903 growling thru those pipes, when he pulled into a parking lot EVERYBODY stopped and watched him cruise thru.

Pretty sure I remember ATHS stickers on the vent windows.Anyone remember this truck?.John
By LUST01 - Friday, June 10, 2011 11:52 PM
There is a note that I have in my 1973 Astro brochure that states that full depth frame rails are standard on all Astro's except V903 powered models. I do not have 1970 and 1971 Astro brochures but I have most of the from 1972 on. The VT903 is listed as an option from 1972 to 1976.
By John_Costley - Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:35 AM
Looks like '71 was the first year for the Astro, same for the 9500.John
By John_Costley - Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:04 AM
John_Costley (6/11/2011)
long9500 (6/10/2011)

Jason,

The only one Ive ever seen in a Jimmy was a custom install.When I first started driving there was a southern guy (Georgia?) pulling a flatbed with a yellow 900 series Jimmy with a bunk on it.Real pretty with dual straights (loud) and aliminum budds.The 903 had polished valve covers and he ran the truck with the hood sides off so everyone could see.A real working Hot Rod.I saw him up in the northeast alot in the '80s but I havent seen him since the early '90s.

Always wondered whatever happened to that truck.Between the bright yellow paint and the 903 growling thru those pipes, when he pulled into a parking lot EVERYBODY stopped and watched him cruise thru.

Pretty sure I remember ATHS stickers on the vent windows.Anyone remember this truck?.John

So, no one remembers seeing a 900 Jimmy running around with the hood sides off ?.Anybody ??.John
By LUST01 - Monday, July 04, 2011 8:50 PM
A few posts ago I mentioned there were at least two W-900 VIT used for the Movin On TV show. One was VT-903 powered which was the truck shown in the Overdrive datemaster spread and is the truck that Paul Sagehorn owns now. Less is known about the second truck but some recent happings may shed some light on it. Last week the RTV TV network started showing Movin On reruns and today epiesode, "The Old South Will Rise Again" had great view of the engine with the hood opened, clearly an aftercooled Cummins straight 6, probably the NTC-350 mentioned in the factory litature. Will have to keep watching to see if they show other episodes that show the VT-903 equipped truck. I remember an episode or two that showed it. Just have to see if my memory is really that good. The RTV network is not showing them in order. I don't know why. I wonder if they complete 2 season run. I hope they do.