General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

MONFORT

http://forums.aths.org/Topic123142.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By mmcc918 - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:55 PM
what were the real specs of a monfort of colorado  kenworth     early  70' s             did they have 1693 ta 375 hp  cats  or  350 cummins ... transmission  4x4  or  13 speed  ...   rear ratio  4:11  4:33        , i drove  a 72 freightliner  13 speed  411 rears    375 hp  1693 ta     ... and could not stay with them on the hills    ... i got too know   one driver   cb  handle   colorado charlie  for monfort   ....but was  mum on the  specs  ... 
By glenn akers - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:04 PM
That the way Tom Inman trucking was here years ago. $11 was the fast gears then and a 13 speed on hi/rubber. But 85 mph so i always guessed he had them set hi on the rpm. !693 and 335 and 350 cummins.He also had two cat trans for exspermenting with and this was in the 70s.The 8/v 71 engine would blow up at 2400.We got some in for warranty but on turning 2150 when we saw them. The wrist pins bushing was wore out on the piston and piston slaping the heads.But thats the only way they could get any power from them.
By Bill White - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:21 PM
Shupe Bros. Greeley,CO they was the hauler with the yellow, orange and white KW's they had Cat power with automatic transmissions, they ran them three man that is where the Monfort lane started.
By John Woge - Wednesday, May 11, 2011 3:30 PM
There was an article on Monfort in a magazine a while back...WOT ??  IIRC, the early 70s W-900s had 4x4s with 4.63s

John
By Bill White - Friday, May 13, 2011 7:45 AM
About, John Shupe

John Shupe celebrated his 90th birthday on a trip to Sioux Falls, S.D., with his immediate family: his wife, Sandra; three daughters and husbands, Nora and Kent Kingsbury, Joanne and Jerry Stugart, and Joyce and Joel Rothman; his five grandchildren; and eight and a half great-grandchildren.

John moved to Greeley from MaComb, Ill., with his family at age 11. He attended Greeley High School, where he met and later married Maxine Cardwell. John and Maxine were married 68 years before her passing in 2005.

John served in the Army, and was stationed in Fort Knox, Ky., and San Antonio in World War II. In the late 1940s, John bought and operated their first truck and in 1951, teamed with his brother, Jack, to own and operate Shupe Brothers Trucking Co. The company became a major contract carrier for Morton Salt Co. in Salt Lake City; a major hauler of grain and feed for Farr Better Feeds; and a major hauler of bentonite, a material key in the construction of Glen Canyon Dam in Utah. The truck fleet expanded to include offices in Garden City, Kan.; Guymon, Okla.; Hereford, Texas; Duncan, Neb.; and Billings, Mont. From 1970-76, John developed with Ken Monfort the Monfort of Colorado Transportation Co., a 100-truck fleet that John operated. The left lane of the interstates became known as the “Monfort Lane.” The new orange and yellow trucks, which were geared to travel at the 70-mph speed limit, could pass most of the trucks traveling the same routes across America. John later continued to maintain his trucking business at 2600 Bypass in east Greeley, under the

name of Shupe Bros Trucking, a 100-truck fleet.

Other business endeavors have been in land development in Weld County, a 2,500-acre farm in Yuma County and a 600-acre farm in west Greeley; stockholder and director in area banking institutions; and a partner in Weld County Garage.

John has been active in Greeley Wesleyan Church from its beginnings on 9th Avenue and 24th Street. He was a major contributor in the construction of the current site in west Greeley to its completion in 1981; supportive of various philanthropic endeavors to benefit Greeley and Weld County; a member on a number of community boards including the Chamber of Commerce, 1965-70; a contributor to the Will Rothman Family Chaplaincy Program at North Colorado Medical Center, the Women's Ministries Center of Greeley and the United Way of Weld County; contributor of vehicles and equipment to support the Independence Stampede; and the beautiful chandeliers above the stairway at the Union Colony Civic Center.
By Krooser - Saturday, May 14, 2011 9:00 PM
Here's a classic 'circus wagon' from the 70's.

I never saw a Monfort with an automatic in it but it's possible. And I also never heard of a three-man operation... don't you need a turban for that kind of thing?

The very first 3406A I ever saw was in a Monfort that I ran with across nebraska one night. We stopped at Kearny, NE for a bite and he opened the hood to check the oil. One bolt that held on every critical engine comonent had a hole drilled thru it and a seal affixed... the driver had a log book to record all miles, any oil or water added and any problems. This was around 1974... a couple years before the 3406 was introduced.

When I was with Peck Meat Packing from '75 until '79 we ran a lot of team loads from Milwaukee to Gibbon, NE and back... ran with many Monfort trucks there and across I-80 on our east coast runs... our trucks were no slouches (we ran up to 8,000 miles per week) but most of the Monfort trucks could out pull our NTC 350's and 375HP 1693's.

We unloaded lots of times right next to those trucks at the markets in Manhatten, Boston and Landover, MD.
By John Woge - Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:28 AM
John Woge (5/11/2011)
There was an article on Monfort in a magazine a while back...WOT ??  IIRC, the early 70s W-900s had 4x4s with 4.63s

John

I found the article....Old Time Trucks June/july 2010 

The first 50 KWs were 350s, 4x4s on 4.88s... then they had some different set ups

I scanned the article and will post it, if it's legal .    Eddy gives the OK

John
By John Woge - Monday, May 16, 2011 10:47 AM
John Woge (5/15/2011)
John Woge (5/11/2011)

John

I found the article....Old Time Trucks June/july 2010 

The first 50 KWs were 350s, 4x4s on 4.88s... then they had some different set ups

I scanned the article and will post it, if it's legal .    Eddy gives the OK

John

Thanks Eddy,

Here it is :
By junkmandan - Monday, May 16, 2011 1:48 PM
Was just reading the same story on the Largecar forum .

Krooser commented on Monfort's use of Allison automatics . They were featured in an Allison advertising video that I used to show customers in the mid '70s . There was a guy named Jerry that claimed better trip times with the Allison
By Mark Brubaker - Monday, May 16, 2011 3:43 PM
They must have had a super overdrive to get those kinda speeds with 4.88's....
By Wolfcreek_Steve - Monday, May 16, 2011 4:08 PM
junkmandan (5/16/2011)
Was just reading the same story on the Largecar forum .

Krooser commented on Monfort's use of Allison automatics . They were featured in an Allison advertising video that I used to show customers in the mid '70s . There was a guy named Jerry that claimed better trip times with the Allison

Dan those Allisons didn't have overdrive did they?
By junkmandan - Monday, May 16, 2011 4:42 PM
Negatory-----HT 750 CRD = 5 speed close ratio direct in 5th .    For that trans cross country I'd want 3.55s ,maybe more .
By John Woge - Monday, May 16, 2011 4:51 PM
Mark Brubaker (5/16/2011)

Mark,

8516-3 or 5B was only .80 overdrive which would give you around 70 at 21-2200.  I personally never witnessed any of them running some of the speeds of the old tales( like being barred from the PA pike for 100+ MPH).....but they ALWAYS were running hard and fast.  They sure smoked that little 238 and 318 I started out in. LOL

John
By glenn akers - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:56 PM
John Woge (5/16/2011)
Mark Brubaker (5/16/2011)

Mark,

8516-3 or 5B was only .80 overdrive which would give you around 70 at 21-2200.  I personally never witnessed any of them running some of the speeds of the old tales( like being barred from the PA pike for 100+ MPH).....but they ALWAYS were running hard and fast.  They sure smoked that little 238 and 318 I started out in. LOL

John
        I think alot of those trucks turned 2400 rpm back then. Still some around you see ever once in a while.
By Krooser - Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:36 PM
That article brings back a lot of memories... I had forgotten about the Road Commode's at Monfort and, quite frankly, the Freightliners, too.
By Bill White - Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:44 PM
How the three man was run two in the truck oldest one out fresh one in next trip old one out fresh one in
By Krooser - Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:27 AM
Bill White (5/18/2011)
How the three man was run two in the truck oldest one out fresh one in next trip old one out fresh one in

geez...those guys had it EZ...

At Peck we'd leave Milwaukee Sunday AM... run three east coast turnarounds (deadhead back) and, on the last run, we'd deadhead from out east to Gibbon, NE to pick-up a load of swinging and be back in Milwaukee Saturday night.

Start over Sunday.
By Eddy Lucast - Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:53 AM
It used to take me 34 hours to go from South San Francisco to Omaha, 8 hours of sleep and 18 hours to get to NYC with a 350 Cummins pulling 73,000. Boss had 8 trucks all two manned except mine and I put in more miles than half the teams.

Keep on Trucking!