General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Fowler and Williams Trucking

http://forums.aths.org/Topic122184.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By oldspwr - Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10:52 AM
I am trying to find out more info about Fowler and Williams Trucking that was located in Scranton, PA.  My Dad drove for them for a while and occasionally mentions a few 200 series Brockways they had.  I would really like to find some pics of their trucks, in particular the Brockways they had.  Here is one I found in Cortland, and it was taken at the Kingston Branch.  The Fowler & Williams truck is in the middle...

There is also a pic of a Fowler & Williams Brockway in the latest issue of Old Time Trucks and it is very similar to the Brockway pictured above.

Thanks,

Tom
By Bill White - Tuesday, May 03, 2011 11:04 AM
Tose, based in Bridgeport, PA, merged with Fowler & Williams of Scranton in 1980 to become Tose-Fowler.
By Dieseldoug - Tuesday, May 03, 2011 2:33 PM
Hi Tom,

Check out Mike Terebecki's book 'the Trucking Pioneers" book 7. FW's history starts on page 111, and there are some photos.  It was merged with Tose and then it was sold to Kidde. They folded in 1989, after a teamsters labor concern. 

Doug
By driver637 - Friday, April 11, 2014 7:10 AM
I ran across your old post. I'm trying to find pictures of Fowler & Williams trucks. My father drove over the road for them for 35 years. 1940's till the late 70's.

Have you found any pictures or do you have any information?

Thanks, Frank
By twostickmutt - Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:41 AM
oldspwr (5/3/2011)
I am trying to find out more info about Fowler and Williams Trucking that was located in Scranton, PA.  My Dad drove for them for a while and occasionally mentions a few 200 series Brockways they had.  I would really like to find some pics of their trucks, in particular the Brockways they had.  Here is one I found in Cortland, and it was taken at the Kingston Branch.  The Fowler & Williams truck is in the middle...

There is also a pic of a Fowler & Williams Brockway in the latest issue of Old Time Trucks and it is very similar to the Brockway pictured above.

Thanks,

Tom
would anyone know if the brock on the right belonged to palmer lines out of great barrington,ma ?
By oldspwr - Monday, April 21, 2014 2:57 AM
The Palmer truck was actually Palmer Transfer's out of Scranton, PA.
By twostickmutt - Monday, April 21, 2014 3:10 AM
oldspwr (4/21/2014)
The Palmer truck was actually Palmer Transfer's out of Scranton, PA.
ok thanks 
By whiskeyclipper - Friday, November 14, 2014 7:29 AM
driver637

my dad was also a road man for F&W for 42 years. maybe we can help each other. call 607-237-3151.
By oldspwr - Friday, November 21, 2014 8:50 AM
Here are some additional Fowler and Williams pics I have collected...

By Glee Pitney - Saturday, November 22, 2014 1:35 AM
OLDSPWR: Thanks for the pics. Glee
By driver637 - Friday, February 13, 2015 11:26 AM
Oldspwr,

Thanks for posting these Fowler Williams pics. Is it possible that you could email them directly to me as they are not very clear here. My father drove for Fowler for 35 plus years and I would love to have the pics. My email is: Ftamburelli@msn.com

Thanks,

Frank
By webb5529 - Monday, February 23, 2015 6:04 AM
do you have or know where I can get photos of Fowler & Williams when their trucks were pink.
Any and all pic or links would be appreciated
My dad retired from this company a long time ago.
Thanks for these pictures!!
By webb5529 - Tuesday, February 24, 2015 3:54 AM
Do you have the address of Fowler & Williams trucking of where it was. There is just not a lot of info online.

Thanks
By John Frances - Tuesday, February 24, 2015 4:44 AM
1300 Meylert Avenue, Scranton
By Old Scovey - Friday, May 01, 2015 9:34 AM
I remember the F& W trucks back in the day. I was not more than a kid hauling hay to NY City and NJ I ran down old Rt 11 and 611 and 46 across NJ and I remember F & W trucks and lots of them. They were pink if I remember right and didn't they have mostly the old WC 22 whites ??
By Kathy E - Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:34 AM
My mother worked for Fowler and Williams in Lyndhurst NJ from about 1965 till they closed. Her name is Dotty Lay and she knew just about everyone. If anyone wants to ask me a question for her, she's 93 and lives with me. Remembers those good old days better than yesterday :)

By the way, when I was in elementary school, one of those PINK TRAILERS came to my school to bring me home sick. That was a blast!!!
By Kathy E - Sunday, November 08, 2015 3:43 AM
also Terminal Road in Lyndhurst - I believe Medival Times is in their spot currently
By oldspwr - Monday, November 09, 2015 7:59 AM
Here are some additional Fowler and Williams pics from my collection (including F. Tamburelli & R. Wilcox...)

Nice Brockway found in FB.... probably a 154WH?

Eaton 2 speed advertisement...

A pink White...

Tom
By oldspwr - Monday, November 09, 2015 8:05 AM
Hi Kathy...

My Dad has this Polaroid in his collection and it was taken at the Lyndhurst NJ terminal. In the pic with all the guys, my Dad is on the bottom right, George Wilson is on the upper right, Dave Owens is on the upper left. My Dad wasn't sure about the guy on the bottom left. The guy in the middle was a mechanic and his name may have been Frank?

Maybe your Mom would remember these guys?

Tom
By Kathy E - Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:44 PM
Hi!

Unfortunately, Mom can't seem to place any of these guys in your Dad's Pic. What is your Dad's name? She did remember she had these mementos from back in the day. I remember some names myself, especially "Joe K" ( actually Z. Kwiecinski) , Bill Lumley, Frank Compatello...my spelling could be way off. http://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/bb679758-1fc2-4fc6-8b20-9b51.jpghttp://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/1ffc4566-c384-472a-a6f5-8647.jpghttp://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/6a0ccda9-1e89-499b-8754-8e74.jpghttp://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/1d33b8c0-b4aa-43d7-9471-bfc0.jpghttp://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/c107b665-2584-4d26-b333-8775.jpghttp://forums.aths.org/Uploads/Images/677fc8f4-12fb-470f-8aa1-cb0c.jpg
By BridgetFB - Tuesday, January 09, 2018 4:45 AM
Hi,
My mother's family owned Fowler & Williams and I am in search of any memorabilia that I can find for her. If you have anything or know where I could find anything relating to the company, I would be beyond grateful. I am willing to purchase whatever I can find.
Thank you!!!!!
By Kathy E - Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:18 PM
My Mother passed away April 2016. I still have the documents I posted, just have to dig them out again. I would be honored to share them with you and your family. I am curious though, who your Mother is related to. I attended several events and a funeral for an owner with my Mother back in the day. My Mother started with F/W about 1964 and stayed on when it became Tose-Fowler and retired from the Secaucus NJ office in 1993. I was even picked up from school once in a PINK tractor/trailer. Does your Mom remember when they painted their trucks pink? LOL
Best regards,
Kathy
By BridgetFB - Thursday, February 01, 2018 6:35 AM
That would be AWESOME!!!!! Her maiden name is Debbie Fowler. Her uncle was Hilton Fowler. My grandfather, Bill, was actually the one who decided to paint them pink. My mother's family lived near the Scranton, PA terminal, so she said that she does not remember your mom. My father was the VP of sales & F&W. His name is Jim Barrett. He actually left there to start his own trucking company, Road Scholar Transport. My entire immediate family works there! :) I guess it's in our blood! I am very sorry about your mom. If you are able to find any of the old documents, that would really be fantastic. I am searching far and wide to find as much as I can! Thank you so much for getting back to me!
By Kathy E - Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:02 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I didn't want to reply until I found the material pictured and I have! I remember my mother referring to someone as "Duke". Loved horses, maybe had a horse farm? Your mother might remember a woman named Marie M. that worked in the Scranton office. I know my mother would always send her Christmas cards and say she was from the Fowler & Williams days. We only stopped receiving cards back about 8 years ago.I recall some other names like Bill Lumley and Jack Compatello. My Mom would have loved for your mother, a Fowler, to inherit her memorabilia. My email address is Katgirl263@aol.com. If you will send me your mailing address, I will forward the 3 pieces to you. :)
By Custom500 - Saturday, February 24, 2018 9:37 AM
BridgetFB (2/1/2018)
He actually left there to start his own trucking company, Road Scholar Transport. My entire immediate family works there! :)

If I'm not mistaken, Road Scholar's logo contains just a dash of f+w pink!
By oldspwr - Monday, March 12, 2018 12:55 AM
Here is another pic that we were able to locate. This one was also taken off of Meylert Avenue in Scranton. It shows a number of N model Macks along with and F model Mack and Emeryville on the far right hand side. The F models were from Fowlers lease company called Serco and were used by Coates Board and Carton Company out of Stroudsburg. When the leases were done Fowlers put them in service for themselves. A friend of mine is trying to locate better pictures of the Emervilles they had...

By Custom500 - Wednesday, March 21, 2018 3:02 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Road Scholar's logo contains just a dash of f+w pink!
I AM mistaken. I saw one the other day and the whole tractor was pink.
By Truck Axle Guy - Wednesday, January 02, 2019 4:06 AM
Remember that building and those trucks. My father worked there in Sales for years. My brothers and I worked there summers and when school was not in session; one summer working night shift in the Traffic Office.

Yellow to Pink was something else for sure; long before it's time and got everyone's attention.

Mike
By Truck Axle Guy - Wednesday, January 02, 2019 4:08 AM
Names bring back memories; Hilton was Duke. Bill Fowler was ahead of his time with using pink for sure.
By oldspwr - Wednesday, January 02, 2019 8:17 AM
Hi Mike...

Do you have any Fowler and Williams pics to share?

Tom
By oldspwr - Tuesday, March 26, 2019 6:58 AM
Still looking for more pics of Fowler and Williams... This was in the newspaper this past Sunday. There a 2 nice Brockways in the pic...

By oldspwr - Wednesday, June 26, 2019 6:43 AM
Found a few more pics...

After Tose purchased Fowler and Willaim's they renamed the company Tose Fowler. Here is a pic of a Tose Fowler R Model Mack that I found I FB...

This came across eBay a moth ago or so. This was the desk marker on Hilton 'Duke' Fowlers office. A fellow F&W friend of mine was able to buy it...

And this is a sign from one of their trailers that a friend of mine in a junkyard rescued.

If you have any other pics please share them!!!
By trygars - Friday, May 08, 2020 11:30 AM
Fowler and Williams terminal in Scranton was close to Scranton Building Block and Scranton Lace (the clock tower appears in some pictures) on the corner of Genet and Albright Aves. My cousins, my brothers and I spent a lot of time in the neighborhood while my dad and my uncle were loading block. The family business was an all Brockway company. My uncle purchased one of the crème colored F&W Brocks for a back up. It was stored in our garage for years and never turned a wheel, but we played truck in it all the time. My siblings and I all learned to drive on 260s back in the day.

I remember when F&W built the transfer station in Stroudsburg. It was still there a few years ago. Neighbors of mine, the Kern brothers of Elmhurst, were mechanics for F&W and gave me their MOTOR manuals when they retired from Tose/Fowler; still have them.

Does anyone remember black and white Fowler and Williams' television commercials featuring the singing cartoon trucks "Fowler and Williams, the fastest trucking line"?

The picture posted on this forum showing a F&W and Palmer Transfer Brockways looks like it was taken in Palmer's garage in Daleville PA. The place was always immaculate as were the trucks. Palmer was a milk hauler and they used to "show" their fleet of Brockways. A Palmer family member still lives in the area and has a number of photos of the Palmer fleet.

Earl Trygar
By trygars - Saturday, May 09, 2020 1:07 PM
Error on my part, I meant to say F&W was near Glenn St and Albright (actually Mylert, a very short block in between the two).
By trygars - Saturday, May 09, 2020 1:42 PM
Great photo. I'm not familiar with the Kingston shop. Anyone know where in Kingston? (I thought I looked like Palmer's garage in Daleville).
By oldspwr - Tuesday, May 26, 2020 2:52 AM
Hi Earl...

Any chance you have pics of any of the Brockways? If so I would love to see them.

>Does anyone remember black and white Fowler and Williams' television commercials featuring the singing cartoon trucks "Fowler and Williams, the fastest trucking line"?

I was able to find a copy of that commercial from a friend of mine whose Dad also worked for F&W. I posted it here in YouTube...

https://youtu.be/3JoC5EXNsqc

>The picture posted on this forum showing a F&W and Palmer Transfer Brockways looks like it was taken in Palmer's garage in Daleville PA.

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that picture was taken at the Brockway branch in Kingston, PA. It was at 135 S Wyoming Avenue, Pittston PA. The building still stands and it a Jack Williams Tire store now.

In regards to Palmer Transport, I have a number of pics of their trucks, mostly Brockways and a B Model. They stopped by the garage to visit one day.

Tom