General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

cummins single disk pump

http://forums.aths.org/Topic116838.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By rpoore - Sunday, March 20, 2011 1:12 PM
i recently bought a 1944 peterbilt with a 150 cummins. it has the single or double disk pump (i dont no how to tell the difference). anyways this truck has sat for 23 years, im looking for some info on priming this pump and how to lubricate the disk(s). and any info that would help explain this pump so i atleast have a basic understanding. ive worked on a few cummins but nothing with this pump. any help would be great!

Thanks Ryan
By Aaron - Sunday, March 20, 2011 4:36 PM
There has been a lot of discussion on. those here not too long ago do a search and see all thats there.
By jeeperscreepers - Monday, March 21, 2011 11:47 AM
Ryan, I brought a thread back to the front regarding Double Disc pumps which contains pictures.  I hope it helps identify your pump.
By rpoore - Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:02 PM
thank you jeeperscreepers, after looking at some of the pictures i have a single disk. i saved a few photos of the priming procedure for my pump. 
By Eddy Lucast - Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:13 PM
http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/108139/Cummins-double-disc-pump-troubleshoot-questions
By rpoore - Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:41 PM
thanks eddy i looked through that post got some good info. hopefully i can get the engine running. as it is now the engine is locked up so i have some work ahead of me. but i also have the option of swapping the engine for a 262 with jakes and a t590 that i could get. the only thing is i wanted to keep the truck as original as i can. as i understand it a h600 672 and a 743 block 262 would be pretty simialer in length right? isnt the 743 just a punched out 672? only difference would be width (turbo) and slightly taller because of the jakes.  my h600 was turned up to a 185 in 1952 and has 4 valve heads on it. 
By jeeperscreepers - Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:55 PM
rpoore,   Where are you located?  There are a couple of people on the forum who have a great deal of Single Disc pump experience.  Thanks,
By rpoore - Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:42 PM
im out in sonoma california, about an hour north of san fransisco. would you happen to no who they are? like i said before any help is greatly apprcieated!

Ryan
By Dennis Wells AKA Smiley - Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:12 PM
Rpore is 19 years old, just what we need. welcome young man and thanks for your interest
By Forgottenhighway - Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:16 PM
Ryan,

Shoot Stephen Paul an email @ thatcher@saber.net

He has done some work on single discs and should be able to help.

Cheers,Pat
By Aaron - Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:43 PM
The 262 will fit, you'll need to adapt a different front motor mount to do it, the rear mounts stay the same, I don't know if the 590 will fit, I can do some measuring and see, I have a 47 with a 280 in it, but running a late model Holset, but I have  a 262 with  a 590 on it and I can check between the two of them, if you can see what the front trunion mount looks like, and how its fastened to the frame.
By rpoore - Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:26 AM
thank you Dennis Wells AKA Smiley, ive been into old trucks for a few years now and just bought my first one to restore, im really excited to start working on it. Forgottenhighway thank you i am going to email him when i get done posting this. and aaron ill have to look at it. id really like to keep the original engine but if i can get it free'd up ill get that 262, now that i think about it he also has a 220 which would probably be easier to fit.

Ryan