General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Power Steering for 59 Autocar

http://forums.aths.org/Topic108628.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By acar59 - Saturday, January 08, 2011 2:43 PM
I am looking for power steering to fit a 59 Autocar A75T.

Any ideas as to how to do it & what parts I may need?
By junkmandan - Saturday, January 08, 2011 2:57 PM
Don't you think it would make a difference on what engine ?
By acar59 - Saturday, January 08, 2011 3:15 PM
Don't know if it would make a difference.

The engine is a Cummins NH250
By wayne graham - Saturday, January 08, 2011 3:28 PM
Need a picture of the truck now as what steering box you have (ross trw sheppard etc) do you have set forward axle or set back. Basically you need power steering gear-box pump and reservoir and hoses. Wayne
By Dieseldoug - Saturday, January 08, 2011 3:37 PM
The system is an assist type. it uses a standard steering box with an slave cylinder.The pump is belt driven off the acc. drive, a strain valve  used on the drag link, and a slave cylinder between the drag link and the frame. The oil tank is mounted on either the bulkhead or externally on the left cowl with the luberfiner. You'll need to measure your transfer arm for length, as it may need to be changed. Other than that, it's mostly a parts change and drill the holes for the slave cylinder.

I added it to mine in about 6 hours start to finish. You can find all the pieces you'll need in the yards. The same parts were used from 57 to 67 and parts up to 76 will work also.
By Aaron - Saturday, January 08, 2011 6:42 PM
The system your talking about Doug is, at least out here hard to come by, and I can't think of the name of it off hand, I don't particulary care for it, ther brain is in the end of the ram as it is hooked up to the drag link, kind of a mess, I prefer the Garrison system, no holes  to drill in the frame and uses a smaller oil tank either remote or a Ford type pump and tank that is belt driven, no changing of steering box and making major modifications.
By tundra - Saturday, January 08, 2011 10:29 PM
commonly know as the ;;;vickers type;;
By Aaron - Sunday, January 09, 2011 5:51 AM
Thanks, I knew someone would fill me in.

By Eddy Lucast - Sunday, January 09, 2011 12:12 PM
Aaron (1/9/2011)
Thanks, I knew someone would fill me in.

The cements ready!

Propellerhead
By acar59 - Sunday, January 09, 2011 12:33 PM
Any Idea on part #s or where I may find a unit?
By fuelem7 - Sunday, January 09, 2011 12:54 PM
i have a complete vickers system off a 74 kw 925.with a manual ross box.i upgraded to modern power steering.comes complete with chassis bracket.heavy to ship
By acar59 - Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:18 PM
Are these systems universal? or are they specific to the vehicle?
By Aaron - Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:49 PM
Both systems are universal and can be put on just about anything, I'm not a fan of changing steering boxes and shafts to power boxes, many times when its done it doesn't get braced decent and you have things moving that should not. I don't know if you can still buy the Vickers new, you can still get parts for them, but the garrison can still be bought last i knew and most steering shops can work on them, Straight line Steering in San Jose Ca is where i get mine at, new they ran about 1800.00 now I don't know, and they are simple enough to install.
By acar59 - Monday, January 10, 2011 4:02 PM
Thanks,

I will check with them
By Aaron - Monday, January 10, 2011 5:43 PM
I built a bracket and extra pully on my 280 to put the pump on at the acc drive, no one offers a bracket for this but not a big deal to make one, the pump is an Eaton belt drive I don't have the numbers on me, with a canister on top, its really  a Ford power steering pump and resoviour, this is what Peterbilt used up thru the early 70's for Factory power steering
By tundra - Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:51 PM
both the garrison as well as the vickers are both power assist .......and they work very well....

...matter a fact they work so well that they kinna givva somewhat ;;;mushey... steer wheel effect

...problem is .....the vickers runs hyd cyl of the rear of drag link [many trucks had a cutout on the fuel tanks or batt box ta accomidate the hyd cyl that ran rearward of the steer box ]

problem with a garrison is that it basickly does the same thing ......but ...the hyd ram is mounted on the steer axle.......[they both have ;;brain ;;on the drag link]

the vickers tended ta have problems with the attachment points at the hyd cyl......

....but ....so did the garrison  type also ........notta problem at all witha hobby truck [they work great]    

.....used ta have a garrison pwr str on onnea teh ole v12 kw;s when i used ta run northa fairbanks ............no matter what kinna fluid ya ran in the resoivor [includin synthetic] it wont steer at minus 60F and it gets much worse than havin absolutly no pwr str at all.......

the ram was jest too close ta ground.....and ;;caught cold;;;......

in all fairness ........the synthetic oils of the time are not at all what they are today........synthetics helped alot back then ....but.....ya couldnt keep any thing sealed up with em though

...ive also ran trucks that the assist linkage fell apart[usally at the most unopprotune times]...

still able ta steer manually .........but....gets yer attention real quick......when yer not xpectin it....lol
By Tony Bullard - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:07 AM
Here's a bad picture of a Vickers on my "62. The unit replaces you drag link and only three mounting bolt holes are added for the rear cylinder mount. I love it
By glenn akers - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:36 AM
In the control valve or brain there is a very imortant setting that makes it control good or bad.
By Doug Blevins - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:53 AM
Ok, I have a couple questions I have wanted to put some kind of power steering on my 61 KW as eventually I want to work it part time. I have the Gemmer-Vickers power setup on my 63 KW but it has an outboard steering box, as to where my 61 is inboard. Will I be able to swap the power assist with out swapping boxes? I have most of the pieces to put an Air-o-matic set up on it,(including a new air cylinder) but decided not to go that route. Also the NH250 in the 63 has the engine bracket and pump for the power set up, but I dont see how I can mount a pump on the NTO 262. I will take some pics and post them later, ..........Doug
By Aaron - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:57 AM
I've seen the set up Tony posted but am not familar with it, most applaciations there won't be enough room for it.
 Doug post up what system you have, you'll have to make some sort of bracket for the 262.
By fuelem7 - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:59 PM
i got a complete vickers setup for FREE just arange shipping and it's yours
By Doug Blevins - Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:47 PM
Aaron, here are some pics. I think if I rotate the cylinder 180 degrees, I can hook the power cylinder to the pittman arm on the 61, swap the anchor bracket to the 61 frame and I think everything else will swap over. Then I will need to build a bracket for the pump, see what you think.....Doug
By Tony Bullard - Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:11 AM
74 w 925, Is your Vickers anything like mine? If so it should just fall on acar59's Acar. Mine came off a '60 Acar
By Aaron - Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:30 AM
Thats the set up I was thinking Doug, what are you going to do with the truck it comes off of, if your not going to do anything with it swap over the outside frame steering with it also it will all fit over, you have to take the clutch pedal and brackets too. if you don't swap it will the Vic set up clear the belly bracket on the other truck, and the pump is small enough, you should be able to create a bracket on the 262, I'll have to look at mine again, I know there isn't as many holes at the acc drive cover as the 250's but I'm pretty sure it can be done.
By fuelem7 - Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:20 PM
similar.the piston bracket on mine mounts to the flat of the frame rail on driver side behind and below battery box
By Doug Blevins - Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:48 PM
74 w 925 (1/12/2011)
i got a complete vickers setup for FREE just arange shipping and it's yours

I know I would love to have it, so I would have one on each truck, but even free the shipping from NY to NM would be more than I can afford right now. I would think it would have to ship by truck freight and that wont be cheap!........Doug
By acar59 - Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:14 PM
Yes I am Interested in your unit!

Please contact me so we can work out the details,

Thanks ACAR59 (brillman@shentel.net)
By Doug Blevins - Friday, January 14, 2011 6:09 AM
My apologies to ACAR59, didnt mean to hijak your thread, should have started one of my own, sometimes we tend to get a little off track, hope I didnt offend you, I just dont stop and think sometimes! Sorry......Doug
By acar59 - Friday, January 14, 2011 8:13 AM
Doug,

No Problem, No offence taken!

ACAR59