General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

old truckstops around the us

http://forums.aths.org/Topic103841.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By erich.vongeist - Monday, November 29, 2010 9:13 AM
Hi everyone, I stayed at Doswell' truck stop in doswell, va the other night and it sparked a desire to locate and frequent some of the old truckstops still around from the old days. I know of an old one called Chex truckstop on I85 in north carolina. Ive seen it but never stopped there. The detroiter truck stop is an old Pure truckstop from the 60's. Its pretty nice but they just got rid of the classic restaurant and put in an ihop. Yikes! Seems like more and more old truckstops are getting put under by Pilot and the like. Id like to see some of the classics while I still can.

anyone interested in posting info and pictures of the old truckstops please do.

Thanks, Erich
By 68CRACKERBOX - Monday, November 29, 2010 9:50 AM
IT'S SEEMS LIKE ALL THE GOOD OLD TRUCKSTOPS ARE GONE .THE 301 TRUCKSTOP IN TAMPA AND MONTEAGLE TRUCK PLAZA IN TENN.  BOTH  HAVE CLOSED IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS .REALLY HATE TO SEE THAT. MONTEAGLE WAS A GOOD PLACE TO EAT.

BOB
By Mackdaddy - Monday, November 29, 2010 10:04 AM
there have been some long posts in the past on the subject but I would sure like to see some pictures too. Anyone got some from Pops outside of Cleavland, OH or Baileys in New Castle, PA? I get a kick out of the lot sizes of some of the old stops and the shop door heights. Trucks were sure smaller then.
By necktie - Monday, November 29, 2010 10:34 AM
I miss the many truck stops of the past.  The 60 and 70's were certainly a neater era of trucking than today.  Maybe ATHS could ask for contributions of pictures of old truck stops and put together a photo album to sell to members with the pictures.  That would be neat.  I am not a fan of the big corporate chain truck stops, most of which are just an oversized C store, PILOT, LOVES, etc...Uck.  Not crazy about Petro's either, food is terrible, and Flying J is like rolling dice, you never know.
By tomchristopher71 - Monday, November 29, 2010 11:09 AM
Here are two ads that I recently scanned from some Late 1970s/Early 80s Overdrive magazines that my dad sent to me. I've been to White's Truckstop as well as the one in Doswell(Across from King's Dominion) as I grew up in Va. There was also a 76 truckstop in BreezeWood, PA that my dad always stopped when I rode with him back in the late 70/early 80s. It was still open in the early 1990s but I don't know if it's still there today. If you ever get to Bangor, Maine make sure you stop at Dysarts Truckstop, it is a modern truckstop with the old appeal including good food and semi clean bathrooms. 
By Terry Tombaugh - Monday, November 29, 2010 11:43 AM
Here is a page from Hank's forum: http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?board=116.0  Various truck stops in the states & Canada.

T.
By Metro Jersey George - Monday, November 29, 2010 12:01 PM
An old advertiser in the old Overdrive Magazine was the Dump the Mass 10 Truck stop up in Worchester, MA. One I used to stop in every winter morning was the Midway out on RT 22 in PA now I-78 I used to leave Newark NJ with a load of meat scraps headed for Ralston Purina in Mechanicsburg PA I would usually hit the Midway around 10. I was at the truck stop at the Frystown Exit the day it opened back then it was a Texico but man it was state of the art back then. I would unload at Mechanicsburg around noon and if I was lucky I would get a return load of ground chicken feathers going back to Jersey City. You could crown the load higher than the sides of the trailer and you were lucky to get six tons on.
By Geoff Weeks - Monday, November 29, 2010 12:06 PM
Anybody know if "Arlene's" is still in Battle Creak, MI? Used to have a homemade pot roast on Thur or Fri night to die for, had to get there early or it would be sold out. Slow cooked all day with potatos and carrots with cramelized onions... I'm getting hungry just writeing about it.

The Yellowstone TS in Livingston MT has a good "Blue plate special" that varys day to day but always a good value.

Been a long time, but the Husky in London (ON) made a good "Shepards pie".

There are others that I can't think of right now. 
By Dan Jacobs - Monday, November 29, 2010 1:08 PM
I like the Lee High in lexington VA. Kind of old school and the foods good (usually) and the showers are clean
By KeithC - Monday, November 29, 2010 1:40 PM
Lee Hi was always a great place to stop, but as Bobby has expanded it, it has lost some of its charm from the earlier days.

Pine Grove PA was always a favorite of mine back when Carlos Leffler owned it, it has been bought, resold, closed, opened so many times in the past 10 years I never bother to stop anymore.

Wells River VT had a little truck stop that had the best food in New England, home made bread and rolls, pies, and an old fashioned grill that you looked over the cooks shoulder and watched them prepare your food from the counter.

The 76 in Tallulah, LA was another of my favorites, had a cook there that knew how to put together some fantastic Cajun food.

There was another chain in the midwest (IN, IL, OH) but I can't for the life of me remember the name, they were usually found on the major US routes (20, 31 etc) that always had good food. I can see their sign in my memory but can't remember who they were.

The old Boron truckstops in PA and Ohio were usually pretty decent as well.

Then there was the Gateway in Breezewood PA.....

The list goes on and on....
By BBRADMV - Monday, November 29, 2010 1:49 PM
Remember when Truck stops were TRUCK STOPS not travel centers for 4 wheelers? Trucks only for the most part, no screaming kids or tourists. You could get a good meal and even have your windshield washed and be on the road. Trucker only sitting with express service, now you are just another body that they want to take your money from.  The good old days, but I guess that's why we are called the American Truck Historical Society with the emphesis on the Historical part.

Bill
By Terry Tombaugh - Monday, November 29, 2010 1:55 PM
   When I drove I was never much for stopping & spending time in truck stops but I do remember stopping at the 76 in Breezewood when I teamed.  The one server was about my age and always gave me a hard time about being the only truck driver she ever met that didn't drink coffee.

I believe we stopped in at Whites a few times as well.  Didn't they also have a little glass "shed" near the front door full of racing motorcycles too?

Once stopped at Old Washington, OH(?) at a truck stop/motel on top of the hill.  Huge restaurant but in the early '90's the hotel was more of a hooker hang-out according to the drivers that we met and relayed with.

T.
By KeithC - Monday, November 29, 2010 1:57 PM
Yeah Terry, Whites had the shed with the motorcycles as well walls covered with glass cases full of  guns and knives inside.
By Bill White - Monday, November 29, 2010 2:10 PM
Bill,

The good ole trucks stops had photos of the regular's and some had Smith-Miller Mack's on shelves with the Big Co's logo on them,

and the waitress new us by name, How many remember the Knox cafe in Des Moines, IA.

Bill
By Kid - Monday, November 29, 2010 2:46 PM
Erich, sorry to inform you, all the GOOD old trucks stops are gone,,, Bingo and Kings all closed years ago.....(some here will get that).

Fortunately for you, a couple 3 others have gone away.. like 76 in N.Houston, 76 in Romulus,MI , and I 'heard' the S.Holland 76 in Chicago was no more... The old 76 outside(W) of Winnemucca got tore down, and is now a Pilot.

Wont miss the 301 that much, but Monteagle will be. Is the Wildwood,FL  t.s. still there, or is it gone too?  I think LittleAmerica in WY is still there, and hopefully TTT in Tucson. Kingman is gone. I think the one in Minden,LA went away when Melton changed hands. What about Tucumcari and Gallop(or Grants ?) ?

Wish I had enough bucks, I'd open one, old school..

...really miss those Bingo hotdogs...
By Geoff Weeks - Monday, November 29, 2010 2:53 PM
Kid (11/29/2010)
I 'heard' the S.Holland 76 in Chicago was no more... ...

Its been gone 15 or 20 years now.
By Eddy Lucast - Monday, November 29, 2010 3:27 PM
Kid,

...really miss those Bingo hotdogs...

I don't kow if I miss them but I sure ate my share. Our game plan was start the pump, eat a couple hot dogs and be back to the pump before it shut off, got paid by the mile and wasted no time.

Drove the Wyoming ports nuts, one guy would collect all the wyoming window stickers and deliver them to the box at the port while everyone else blew on by. If smokey stopped you and said you didn't stop, of course you did look in the box my stickers in there! LOL 

How about the Antelope Truck Stop, where the shower floor was a used pallet. LOL
By OldOakie - Monday, November 29, 2010 3:52 PM
Ah... the truck stops of yore.  One of the things I enjoyed about driving OTR "back when". 

Lessee'... various and sundry musings (in no particular order) concerning truck stops I have known and loved (well... maybe not exactly loved)...

In good ol' Fort Smith, AR: Trucker's Paradise.  Great food, inexpensive.  Nothin' fancy just good food with good trimmin's in a modest setting.  Long gone.

Bucksnort, TN: Remember there being a small eating joint that catered to trucks there just south of the eastbound I-40 exit.  I think fuel was nearby, but nothing big.  Good food.  Gone, I think.

Alma, AR:  Skelly Truck Plaza.  Ate many'a meal there and utilized the truck store and service area.  Good food.  Still can remember some of the faces of the employees.  Most of the companies I drove for were based in Alma, so this was where we would fuel before a trip. (Company accounts.)  I recall one summer night in '70 or '71, after finishing my meal and the truck being topped off with fuel (why of course the fuel guys did it) I was leaving the restaraunt to go climb up into my truck.  Standing on the sidewalk was a cute little blonde wearing short-shorts and halter (also had on mocassins) and holding a rat tail comb. Nothing else with her.  Being young and single, I spoke to her and she lit up with a warm smile.  I asked her what she was doing...

"Oh... nothing... just hangin' out", answers she.    

"Well... wanna' go to California?"  I said jokingly.

She paused... looked around and said "sure... why not?". 

Shocked :w00t: ... I told her to come along with me then.  She climbed up and rode with me all the way to someplace in AZ.  I had to get some sleep... but she wanted to move on... so she hitched a ride with another truck.  Weird.  Often wonder what happened to her.  Before you asked, no, nothing happened.  I was a young (too scared to do somethin' stupid) gentleman. :)

Anyway... the Skelly Truck Plaza is waaaay gone.  Would never know it was there.

Effingham, IL: Union 76.  Sort of medium sized for its time, but still old school by today's standards.  I used to stop at several strategically placed Union 76's.  I kind'a liked 'em.  The Effingham 76 has been razed.

Don't know where the following were located for sure...

Robin Hood Truck Stop.  Somewhere out toward St. Louis/western IL?  Was a "gimmick" truck stop.  That is, the interior decor was like Merry Olde England... the waitresses were dressed in short skirts w/green tights... that sort of thing. Have to admit, it was sort of a cute "theme".

Jersey Truck Terminal (Newark NJ?):  A roughshod joint in a rough neighborhood... but a pretty mean hot pastrami & swiss on rye.  Besides, it was about the only game in town "back then".

Windmill Truck Stop (Wheeling, WV?):  Sprawling complex... big truckers store... good food.

Beacon Truck Stop (on an old two lane in eastern TN before I-40 was finished):  Had a large oil well looking derrick for its signpost. I should'a known there was a reason for the large flashing red light on the top!  Anyway... got in WAAAY over my head as it turned out the waitresses were... ummm... "ladies of negotiable virtue".  I politely declined (each one) and hasitly ate my meal and ran for my life.  Never went back!  (Like I said, I may have been young, single and all that jazz... but I was not stupid!)

Chick's Truck Stop, Jane, MO:  Small affair... good food.  Headed north to KC one night I had to use my cheater pipe to set off a package of lumber that had me overloaded off to the side and out of the way on their parking lot.  (Missouri was very unforgiving back then.)  Next morning on my way back south (empty) I stopped and picked the package back up ... one board at a time!  Chick's Truck Stop is gone.

Wow... so many truck stop memories.  These are just a few of them.  However... I've flapped my jaw long enough.

Old Oakie

Andre Ming
By erich.vongeist - Monday, November 29, 2010 4:25 PM
Yep Lee-hi travel plaza is good. Nice big lot too. Ive been to whites also. Im making notes of the ones I like to stop at. There was an ancient Interstate truckstop I saw once going into Georgia from columbia, sc once. dont remember exactly where it was on a backroad somewhere. but it was partly demolished and looked like it had been abandoned for a long time. but it definately had the look of a place that was once nice.

I hate the pilots and "travel centers" that have ruined the truckstops of the past. Oh well, I gotta fuel somewhere.

Thanks, Erich
By Michelle Cole - Monday, November 29, 2010 5:09 PM
Here's a pic made some years ago from the old Triple T in Tucson. Yes it is Sonny Pruitt's truck.

By Lmackattack - Monday, November 29, 2010 6:32 PM
When im out on the road its the Flying J,pilot,TA or petro. its all hit or miss and none really stand out. most times I just need a parking spot for the night. Out east you dont dare try to get into a hotel lot that was not made for trucks, you cant park on most streets. Rarely see trucks on the off ramps anymore? so were stuck with the big name truck stops. Out west its a little diffrent and lots more room to get in and out of places. I like little America in Flagstaff I-40 and in Wy on I-80 (not sure how old they are but clean and easy to find hotels if you need a night out of the bunk?) On a side note I think todays steering wheel holders and the genral public dont add to todays truckstops.  Is it just me or do you krindge when you see some slob get out of dirty truck with sweat paints and slippers on. Garbage all over the passeger seat and stains on his shirt? I may not wear a necktie and uniform but I often wear a company shirt and clean work paints when driving.When you walk in its a bunch of "truckers" standing in line at the maintance bay waiting to have a new mudflap installed or air hose leak fixed. they cant repair the basic things and would rather wait a 1/2 day for somone to fix it rather than doing it themselves. need to mention if you needed a major repair your SOL at a truck stop? how does that work??

Im to new to remember the "good old days" but I sure can see how the truckers of the day could have been a little better than what we have now.... 
By kblackav8or - Monday, November 29, 2010 8:34 PM
I stopped for fuel off I-84 about 2 weeks ago at a truck stop/travel center west of Pendleton.  Drivers if you could call them that were a bunch of social reject looking people.  Again dirty, sweat pants, no shoes, wheel holders.  Having trouble paying for their fuel with company credit cards, can't find the end of the line for the register.  I know there are better folks out there but it sure seems like a lot of riff raff these days.  As a kid I rode around with a number of IML drivers (easy way to get me out of my Dad's office for a few hours).  I was also exposed to quite a few in those days during the 70's and early 80's.  Seems like the good ones are rare these days.  If I ever was to do it on the side it would be in a niche job working with other quality folks.  When I was dealing with moving aircraft by truck, had a couple Landstar guys I dealt with who seemed pretty good.  My brother has no end to the stories of the Swift trash that shows up to deliver to his warehouse.  Portland area truckstops are pretty trashy these days and the places here in NW Washington appear to me to be nothing more then big gas stations.  Gotta chase out the lot lizzards, pan handlers and other assorted bums and keep the place well lit and clean.  A dress code could be an interesting twist. 
By Eddy Lucast - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:28 AM
Flying J is being bought out by Pilot. Maybe Pilot will learn something from Flying J
By FBHOMER - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:10 AM
I like Betty's Truckstop at the 74 mile marker on I-70 in Mo. Not all that busy, good food and small C-store, Plenty of parking space with rooms out back.

Any one remember The Metro Truck Stop in Kansas City, Ks? I used to ride over with my dad to pick up permits (I was 7 or 8 at the time) and always got stuck at the shift knob displays. And a truck stop that sold cowboy boots and had a built in barber shop? Wow!
By Bill White - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:08 AM
Keven, I am with about dress code for truckers, I remember my Dad he always wore a tie and nice slacks and his drivers cap. Here is a photo of a couple of drivers a driver and helper in 1930 and a PIE driver in the 40s............................Bill

By Brown Dirt Cowboy - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:47 AM
Andre, the Robin Hood was at Pevely, Mo. It has been gone for a long time and a McStop is there now. Was going to stop at the Blue and White just west of Indy one night and decided they didn't need me in their way cause they were busy trying to put out the fire. I was told they never rebuilt the place. Been about 7 or 8 years since I have been at Dixie the trucker's home in McLean, Il. Rhodes Truckstop in Cape Girardeau, Mo is still there but has changed owners, now it's just a convience store with deisel pumps.

Tim used to be a fuelstop across the interstate from Betty's that burned several years ago. Seems like it never was as busy as Betty's
By wayne graham - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:57 AM
The Dixie is still going some real good groceries are prepared there. I sure miss the old Blue and White. Wayne
By Brown Dirt Cowboy - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:14 AM
Wayne, if I remember right the Blue and White made this huge hamburger and fries and you couldn't beat their breakfast
By wayne graham - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:20 AM
You seem to remember the same as me. Wayne
By Wolfcreek_Steve - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:04 AM
wayne graham (11/30/2010)
The Dixie is still going some real good groceries are prepared there. I sure miss the old Blue and White. Wayne

Didn't the Dixie burn and get rebuilt?
As an eleven year old kid I visited the Dixie, (1963) the place seemed huge with hundreds of trucks coming and going, I felt like I was in the big time. (father was a regional driver that did mostly is state runs here in Wisconsin) About ten years ago I had the chance to stop there again, and the place seemed small and dingy with a much smaller parking lot. Did it shrink over the years or was it my childhood memories that made it change?

Does anyone remember the Stretch, on 41 just south of Fondulac Wisconsin? Any trip to Milwaukee area required a stop, sometimes once each way. (back in the sixties)
By wayne graham - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:00 AM
Steve, I started going there in spring of 68 and it was same as now. They have opened up the whole parking lot again and seem to be making a better effort but they cannot compete with fuel programs of  large fleets with pilot and loves. I remember when pilot was gas stations in florida with diesel pump out back and waffle house next door. What happenned?
By chocko - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:24 AM
I-80 across Penna. had a lot of good truckstops. One of my favorites in 70'S was Roadway Center, Milesburg,Penna. big lot good fuel motel competent garage. Was owned by Troy Family who also owned Arco Auto Carriers and Troyler Trailers. They also had another Roadway in Effingham,Illinois. Someone mentioned Mass 10 "The Dump" as called by owner Gene Murphy in Auburn Mass.  Joe D.
By ColoradoGreen - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:37 AM
Though not an ancient truck-stop by some's standard, Johnson's Corner on I-25 is still going strong. They've not only survived, but expanded as well. The dining area was recently rebuilt, but, they did retain the vintage sign (and unpaved lot). Been running since 1951, I believe. Still owned by the Johnson Family from what I understand.

Around here there aren't many good places to stop. Stopped at a TA off of I-70 in Commerce City, took 25 minutes to have my order taken and another 25 minutes to get the damn food. I didn't leave much of a tip.

A good "watering hole" is the Red Rooster on 58th and Washington. Big dirt lot across the street, enough parking for 15 trucks (tight). Good food, they know us there by name.

Troy.
By Park Olson - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:50 AM
Erich, that old Interstate TS you mentioned is on 321/301 where they run together for just a couple miles. Went by there goin' to FL for turkey rod run this past weekend. It 's been shut for years.
By Eddy Lucast - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:12 PM
How about the Palmyra Mo on US 24 and US 36. Its been shut down almost 30 years.
By Grandpa Hochstetler - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:17 PM
Johnsons, made famous by their HUGE AND DELICIOUS breakfast rolls.  I have a son close to there, so make it a habit to stop.
By wayne graham - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:27 PM
Who remembers the Lyons Den TS at Springfield Ill. It was the gas stop for MC Slater among others. Yes I said gas. I remember when a lot of the steel trucks were gas lot of 549 binders. Wayne
By AT64F - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:37 PM
About the Doswell Truck Stop in the very first post. Wasn't that originally Jarrell's Truck Plaza where Big John Trimble used to broadcast his all night radio show on WRVA?

Anthony
By jturner26201 - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:41 PM
    I do and the gas fired reos pulling freight boxes .

INTER- CITY TRANSPORT

BUCKHANNON WV
By jturner26201 - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:44 PM
               that was the good days to me ""  Just me and a reo how could it get any better? 
By OldOakie - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:34 PM
FBHOMER:

Yes, I think I remember the Metro in KC.  Wasn't it down over in the bottoms near where the stockyards used to be?

Brown Dirt Cowboy:

Thanks for the location of the defunct Robin Hood Truck Stop.  Is Pevely a suburb of St. Louis?

Old Oakie

Andre Ming

By wayne graham - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:46 PM
You got it.Wayne
By Terry Tombaugh - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:52 PM
chocko (11/30/2010)
I-80 across Penna. had a lot of good truckstops. One of my favorites in 70'S was Roadway Center, Milesburg,Penna. big lot good fuel motel competent garage. Was owned by Troy Family who also owned Arco Auto Carriers and Troyler Trailers. They also had another Roadway in Effingham,Illinois. Someone mentioned Mass 10 "The Dump" as called by owner Gene Murphy in Auburn Mass.  Joe D.

Speaking of Penna, Near the west side on I 80 there was a truck stop with maybe the "Bozo Burger"(?) I believe it was rather large and if you ate the entire thing it was free?  I also remember another truck stop (Emlenton maybe) that I believe proclaimed the worlds worst pies but in fact they were very good.

I also recall a truck stop near the top of WV possibly Parkersburg or Morganton areas that also had a cattle auction arena attached to it. 

Sorry I am not good with precise locations or names, like I said early I didn't make many stops at Truck Stops, typically carried our own food and drink when we ran team and when I was delivering hardwood doors I really stayed with it and mostly did fast food except the one night each week I camped out in a motel then it was a sit down restaurant.

T. 
By BBRADMV - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:56 PM
If I did this right how about this one? Chattanooga TN.

click to close
By Robby359 - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:10 PM
Where is (was) that taken at Bill?
By Eddy Lucast - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:25 PM
OldOakie (11/30/2010)
FBHOMER:

Yes, I think I remember the Metro in KC.  Wasn't it down over in the bottoms near where the stockyards used to be?

Brown Dirt Cowboy:

Thanks for the location of the defunct Robin Hood Truck Stop.  Is Pevely a suburb of St. Louis?

Old Oakie

Andre Ming

A Skelly?
By chocko - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:28 PM
Terry I remember Emlenton Truck Stop. The one with the Bozo Burger does not ring a bell. I-80 across Penna. in the 70'S had more than its share of truckstops. Just about like everything else in trucking the old way of doing business does not exist anymore. This is one of many reasons I enjoy this site reminicing about the old days. I never thought I would get to say that as I was always the new kid on the block. Joe D.
By FBHOMER - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:41 PM
The Metro I think was a Skelly.It sat just south of I-70/US 24 west of 169 (Broadway bridge). It was kind of north of the stockyards.

How about the Western Truck Stop on I-35 just south of M-291 (71 By-Pass) in Liberty, Mo. north of Kansas City,Mo?
By BBRADMV - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:44 PM
Robby359, This was on I24 near the 4th Avenue exit Chattanooga TN mid 70's.  The owners may have had some intrest in the Hagmans truck stop in Knoxville but not sure. A great stop, not fancy but a favorite for the local drivers heading out from Chatt. to get coffee before their runs. Bill
By Dieseldoug - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:53 PM
Chocko and gang, remember this. The golden age may be gone, but we didn't miss out on it. 

I can remember every  mom and pop stops running the humps from New York to the Windy. Midway, The Gables, Red's in Lewistown, Foot of Ten at Duncansville, Cresson Ridge & Smithmyers at Cresson, Pop's at Columbiana and a hundred more. A lot of rolaids has past this guys tummy, and so has the people and memories... I DIDN'T MISS IT!!! But I still do.
By Robby359 - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:02 PM
Thanks Bill. Like most other good stuff that was before my time and way before I was ever on 24. I never saw Hageman's but know it was right there where 40/140 meet. Just down the road from where Great Dane was.
By Tony Brown - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:03 PM
Boys I think we need to take pics now of whats left, Soon they will all be gone. Some good memories though.
By OldOakie - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:53 PM
Tony:

You're right: Get pictures while some still survive.

In my case, I simply never THOUGHT to take pictures "back when".  Not ONE pic that I know of exists of any of the trucks I've driven, or places I've been, etc!!!  However, once I bring home my late Mother's photo collection and go through them, I may find there was one or two that I have forgotten about??

FWIW: 

During our Ohio/Oklahoma "Bring The Freightliner Home" sojourn we stopped at a truck stop on I-44 "somewhere" in MO.  I think it was a T/A?  Anyway... it had a "sit down and get waited on" restaraunt (decent food, too), a truck store, parts, service... ALMOST felt like a "real" truck stop.  Compared to the Love's and such that I've seen when on the road in our family vehicles, I was actually pleasantly surprised.

Old Oakie

Andre Ming
By Terry Tombaugh - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:56 PM
As I have read through here, maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned Iowa 80 @ Walcott, IA
By John Woge - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:17 PM
chocko (11/30/2010)
Terry I remember Emlenton Truck Stop. The one with the Bozo Burger does not ring a bell. I-80 across Penna. in the 70'S had more than its share of truckstops. Just about like everything else in trucking the old way of doing business does not exist anymore. This is one of many reasons I enjoy this site reminicing about the old days. I never thought I would get to say that as I was always the new kid on the block. Joe D.

Joe,

I think he's talking about Diamond Js ( originally Seneca Hill ) at old exit 15.

John
By Robby359 - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:26 PM
Don't forget Noble's I-75 exit 144 Corinth, Ky. It's been there as long as the interstate has been. Nice people, good food and you can usually find a place to park. And I know at least fairly recently they still had a part time pump jockey. And to prove it here's a pic of 1 from a 3-4 years ago when I was getting fuel in my friends truck. You can see him in both of these pics.
By Terry Tombaugh - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:30 PM
John Woge (11/30/2010)

Joe,

I think he's talking about Diamond Js ( originally Seneca Hill ) at old exit 15.

John

Sounds right.  Back in the early'90's dark wood paneling/decor?

T.
By dashby - Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:26 PM
Anybody remember;

Hensley's--Old 66 on west side of El Reno?  Home made blueberry pie.

Cherokee Restaurant on I 40 at the Geary Exit.  Still the best food for miles.  Genuine buffalo hamburgers and steaks.

Biscuit Hill at the Hinton exit.  Famous for biscuits--no hill.

Guess not many of you guys ate at Granny's in Cresent, OK.  Bout 30 mile north of OKC on Hy 74.  We stopped eating there for awhile cause they boosted the cost for a plate lunch to a dollar and ice tea went to a dime.

Dean
By Wally - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 1:31 AM
As a kid when we were traveling when ever we stopped I had my dad stop at a truck stop and I would wander around the lot while they were getting gas and such.  A few years in the early 80's we would go to Kings Dominion in Va and stay in the hotel at Jerrell's. At night we would go and walk around the lot and take pictures.  This was usually my favorite part of the trip as most of the trucks were idling and left their marker lights on.  We would usually pick up some chrome or light up widget for my dad's soda truck.  Next time I'm down there I will try to find the slides and post them. 
By KeithC - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 2:34 AM
Here's some of my Dad's favorite stops, that later became mine.
Bedo Junction, KS,  the 76 in Foristell, MO, at least I think it was a 76.
Then there was one on 24 either in Napolean OH or Defiance we always stopped at.

There was a small 76 on 35 outside Jackson OH that was a real nice place when it first opened.
By Terry Tombaugh - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:24 AM
KeithC (12/1/2010)
Then there was one on 24 either in Napolean OH or Defiance we always stopped at.

There was a small 76 on 35 outside Jackson OH that was a real nice place when it first opened.

Napoleon, OH has 3 truck stops now, the one you mentioned is still there, I cannot remember which chain it is for sure, but I think TA.  There was also the Oasis along 24 near Defiance, OH but other than the restaurant it has been gone for a long time and now 24 has been moved and is 4 lane so you don't even pass it.

We stopped at that 76 near Jackson, OH when it 1st opened several times. Within a few years it seemed to go way down hill.
By John Woge - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:34 AM
Terry Tombaugh (11/30/2010)
John Woge (11/30/2010)

Joe,

John

Sounds right.  Back in the early'90's dark wood paneling/decor?

T.

I think it did have dark paneling. I was not in there much because it was a little close to home to stop. 98 miles from us. It was built on a hill with steep grade of an entrance. When it was first opened...it was a beautiful truck stop. It was called Seneca Hill. For some reason, it just never seemed busy and closed for a time...then reopened as Diamond Js. Been closed for a long time again. Maybe the drivers just didn't like the location and the sloped parking lot. They had big boulders brought in and put around the building...after a parked truck run away and ended up on the fuel desk...........................

John
By chocko - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:49 AM
How can I forget about Toledo 5,exit 5 off of Ohio,Turnpike. Lots of parking and truck friendly motels. Plenty of brokers to trip lease from also. Joe D.
By Lynn Dearstone - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:49 AM
Boy this is one of the best threads I've seen and certainly brings back a lot of memories. I used to stop at the Metro in KC alot I think,it was south of the Interstate and on the left of the street,big parking lot with alot of meat haulers and others getting wash-outs if I remember right.The truck stop in W.Va. with the stockyard built in the middle is in Mineral Wells and a pretty good place to stop, the cafe is upstairs. Bill I remember Johnsons well we used to stop there when in that area. Robbie, Hagermans had two truck stops, the one you mentioned in K-town with the old Ford & Freightliner dealers just up the street, and then  the other one at exit 232 I think in Lebanon,Tn. also does anyone remember Pam's also in Lebenon at exit 238 on I-40, they tore it down and built yet another Pilot.Yeh,Robbie we always have to stop at Nobles at exit 144 and say hi to Onnie and the girls. Andre, we used to stop at Alma all the time back in the seventies when I was hauling cattle, there used to be alot of large car companies out of that area, David Benuex sp. is the one that first comes to mind. Ed's in Sallisaw was another good one back before it burned down, not the same since rebuilding. Rick I remember Rube's from my meat hauling days at J-Lines, alot of National Carriers and Lisa Motor Lines always there, and what about Johnnys' on I-78 at Clinton, N.J., also what is the other one just east of there a real dump but great food and old trucking logos all over the walls, Louise's maybe? Kieth C that one old truck stop is still there just west of Defiance, Ohio, great people and good food although they quit selling fuel. I still enjoy stopping at the old High Point truck stop in Stephens City, Va. on old 11 very old school much like the diner up on 340 in W.Va. and then there was the Virginian at Toms Brook which now is a Loves, and does anyone remember Cambell's 76 in Bristol,Va. on 11,closed after I-81 opened. There's not many of the old ones left but I still stop at the ones that are,speaking of stopping I must get off now as I see my exit coming up "Memory Lane".                         
By Brown Dirt Cowboy - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:01 AM
Andre, Pevely is 15 miles south of the I-270 loop around St. Louis.

Now guys help me out here. I used to used to run I-64 a lot over to Louisville and stopped at US-41 and I-64 north of Evansville, I remember the Lakeview Truckstop was north of 64 and it is closed now. The problem is I can't recall the name of the larger stop that was south of 64 on the right side of 41. Also used to stop at the 231 Truck Plaza at Dale ,In (I-64 and US-231) last time I was by there it was no longer a truckstop.

When I was running Memphis a lot in the '70s I stopped at the 76 in Blytheville, Ark.

Used to stop at the Bobber at Boonville, Mo I don't think it is a Bobber now.

KeithC the 76 at Foristell is a TA now
By wayne graham - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:04 AM
Tom, I believe you are talking about Buslers in Evansville. Wayne
By Brown Dirt Cowboy - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:06 AM
yep, thats it, Buslers.
By newfie-trucker - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:53 AM
there used to be 4 grandma's kitchens truckstops i know of all were torn down rebuilt as damm pilots 1 was in mortons gap 1 sonora ky 1 was i outside ft campbell ky last one was just south of evansville on ky side the river....
By Mark Brubaker - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 7:31 AM
Terry Tombaugh (12/1/2010)
KeithC (12/1/2010)

Napoleon, OH has 3 truck stops now, the one you mentioned is still there, I cannot remember which chain it is for sure, but I think TA.  There was also the Oasis along 24 near Defiance, OH but other than the restaurant it has been gone for a long time and now 24 has been moved and is 4 lane so you don't even pass it.

We stopped at that 76 near Jackson, OH when it 1st opened several times. Within a few years it seemed to go way down hill.

Terry,,,   I used to stop at a 76 that was on a 2 lane stretch of 30 in that general area.  This was in the late 70's or early 80's.  Could this be one of the stops that you're talking about?  I can't recall the name of it.  They had decent food and did service work, yet it was small place.  Early one morning I went to turn into there and all the traffic on 30 came to a stop.  We waited for 24,, yes 24 Schneider 4070's with the 903's to pull out and head east.  Odd, some of the things a guy remembers.....
By Terry Tombaugh - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 7:57 AM
Mark,

I believe you are thinking about Middle Point, OH.  Not sure of the name of the stop but they have signs on US 30 (or use to) that say "save a mile" while stopping there as cutting off of US 30 onto old 30 is a mile shorter...

T.
By TEWHITEIV - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 8:18 AM
Kid (11/29/2010)
 I think the one in Minden,LA went away when Melton changed hands. ...

Kid, I think the one you are referring to in Minden, La. is the old Truckers Paradise at exit 49.   It's still there, I'm sure it's changed brands a time or two.  They have built a Love's and some other stuff around it, but I always fuel there instead of the new places.  Did you ever stop at the Westport Truck Stop at Monkhouse exit in Shreveport?
By FBHOMER - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:38 AM
FBHOMER (11/30/2010)
The Metro I think was a Skelly.It sat just south of I-70/US 24 west of 169 (Broadway bridge). It was kind of north of the stockyards.

How about the Western Truck Stop on I-35 just south of M-291 (71 By-Pass) in Liberty, Mo. north of Kansas City,Mo?

The Western was a Texaco according to one of our drivers that worked there in his youth.
By Eddy Lucast - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:45 AM
FBHOMER (12/1/2010)
FBHOMER (11/30/2010)

The Western was a Texaco according to one of our drivers that worked there in his youth.

There was another truck stop just west of there on the Kansas side too.
By Mark Brubaker - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:51 AM
Terry Tombaugh (12/1/2010)
Mark,

I believe you are thinking about Middle Point, OH.  Not sure of the name of the stop but they have signs on US 30 (or use to) that say "save a mile" while stopping there as cutting off of US 30 onto old 30 is a mile shorter...

T.

That's probably the one Terry.   In those days what is now called "old 30" was all that their was in that stretch, as I recall.
By tomchristopher71 - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:16 PM
AT64F (11/30/2010)
About the Doswell Truck Stop in the very first post. Wasn't that originally Jarrell's Truck Plaza where Big John Trimble used to broadcast his all night radio show on WRVA?

Anthony

I've always known it as Jarrell's Truck Plaza. Don't know about the Big John Trimble broadcast though, I'd have to ask my dad about it.
By peterj - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:27 PM
FYI,jarrell's and speed+brisco, both used to be on US 1. When they opened I95 they moved over there. Speed and brisco became a Pure, then a Union 76, And now a TA.... Jarrell's has changed owners several times too.At one time it was owned by Flemings, who also owned carlisle, pine grove, frystown, and a few more. All those have change hands, and brands many times too.

By KeithC - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:52 PM
Yes, Big John broadcasted from Jarrell's back in the day.

Haven't seen anyone mention Davey Crockett or the Daniel Boone down around Blountville TN, I know one closed back in the early 90's but can't remember which one was which....

Haven't seen mention of the one in Mt Airy, NC and thanks to my CRS I can't even remember the name of it.:unsure:
By 66dt - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:54 PM
Think some of us talked about this before but since we were on BRISTOL VA. what about the Ponderosa there,Midway and CHEROKEE at Beans Station Tn.on top of the rock Clint Mtn. Lookout home of the vinegar pie,Hodges Truck plaza London,Ky.Big T  Elizabethtown,Ky. Truckers World Shepherdsville Ky, Old Fort  Bowling Green,ky.And the Dinner Bell south of Park CITY,Ky.on US 31 W
By peterj - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 1:27 PM
While my brain is in reverse, Does any one remember EssoFleet truck stops. They were on the US routes before interstate.
Mainly I saw them in the south, VA NC  SC.  Later they became Pure, and then Union 76... 
There was somekind of deal when they sold out, and for many years if you saw a Esso/ Exxon station that was selling diesel , the pump said "Not an Exxon product".  I don't know the story on that.
By Kid - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 2:50 PM
TEWHITEIV, probably, since it would have been next to the yard, but cant picture it right now... we always went to Minden, since M owned it, and they would cash our checks..
By Geoff Weeks - Wednesday, December 01, 2010 4:15 PM
I think it did have dark paneling. I was not in there much because it was a little close to home to stop. 98 miles from us. It was built on a hill with steep grade of an entrance. When it was first opened...it was a beautiful truck stop. It was called Seneca Hill. For some reason, it just never seemed busy and closed for a time...then reopened as Diamond Js. Been closed for a long time again. Maybe the drivers just didn't like the location and the sloped parking lot. They had big boulders brought in and put around the building...after a parked truck run away and ended up on the fuel desk...........................

John[/quote]

The truck ended up in the TV room. The owner had a sense of humor about it and put up "No truck parking" signs in the TV room. The guy who first had it under the Diamond J name sold it and was somehow involved with the new Flying J just down the road. The new owner bought it a year or so before 9-11 and put a ton of money into it, paved the parking (it was alway a nice quiet place to sleep) and moved the pumps down to the main biulding (used to be up on top in the back) He was a Seke (sp?) from India and always was around the place (live in one of the old "sleeping rooms", That truckstop had rooms for day cab drivers). Anyway no one would go there after 9-11 because he wore a turbin, He was a real nice guy and was trying to live the american dream, he went broke, and creditors auctioned off the property. It was sad. I used to stop there fairly often, and the staff knew my name and my truck. Like I said it was a good quiet place to stop for the night. Clean too.
By Lynn Dearstone - Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:26 AM
KeithC (12/1/2010)
Yes, Big John broadcasted from Jarrell's back in the day.

Haven't seen anyone mention Davey Crockett or the Daniel Boone down around Blountville TN, I know one closed back in the early 90's but can't remember which one was which....

Haven't seen mention of the one in Mt Airy, NC and thanks to my CRS I can't even remember the name of it.:unsure:
  Man I'd forgotten all about Big John's radio show. Daniel Boone was the one that closed it was at exit 63 on I-81 in Tn. across from the cat dealer, Davy Crockett is still at exit 36 but is now a TA franchise but still owned and managed by the Brandon family and still a nice stop. The one in Mt.Airy is probably Brendles off I-77.
By Lynn Dearstone - Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:39 AM
66dt (12/1/2010)
Think some of us talked about this before but since we were on BRISTOL VA. what about the Ponderosa there,Midway and CHEROKEE at Beans Station Tn.on top of the rock Clint Mtn. Lookout home of the vinegar pie,Hodges Truck plaza London,Ky.Big T  Elizabethtown,Ky. Truckers World Shepherdsville Ky, Old Fort  Bowling Green,ky.And the Dinner Bell south of Park CITY,Ky.on US 31 W
Yeh I don't know how I could forget the Ponderosa on11-W, do you remember the waitress that always wore the pink fuzzy houseshoes. The Midway was state of the art in it's day, Cherokee was still open but almost impossible to get to after the four laneing of US25E,may be closed now,not sure, still sleep on top of the rock ocassionally(Clinch Mtn.)
By wayne graham - Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:59 AM
Peter, Flemings - Milton Pa and all the others you named were owned by Carlos Leffler. He also owned the Turkey Hill convenience stores. When he died kids did not want any part so they sold it all. Do you remember when Flemings was Hyshmans tire store before it became Flemings Truck Stop? Wayne
By Robby359 - Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:19 AM
Hodge's burned down a long time ago. It was rebuilt into a Citgo fuel stop. Now it's a Clark. Here's a couple old pics at Hodge's of my papaw's last truck after he sold it. These were taken in '78. The old old Hodge's that was on hwy 25 just down the road from me is still there. Or what's left of the building is. The last thing in there was a shoe store. It look like it could fall down at any time.
By Doug Blevins - Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:32 AM
How about the old Ted's bullpen stops in Moriority NM and Ashfork AZ?  And Kid the Giant in between Grants and Gallup NM, is now a Pilot, had a Grandma Max's (Bosselmans) resturant, but i think it is closed now, the big Shell Truck stop in Tuccomcari NM is something else now, not sure what!  How about the little truck stop at Endie (TX-NM line) Old RT 66, or the "Angels view" on top of the hill on the west side of Albuquerque NM on Rt 66, Or the Road runner in Phoenix? that was a dive......Doug
By wayne graham - Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:35 AM
Doug, The one I really miss out your way is Road Forks. That was a destination for us with oversize loads. Wayne
By Doug Blevins - Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:43 AM
Wayne, I havent been down on I-10 for a long time, but last time the truckstop was still there. I think the last time I was there it was being run by some kind of foreigners, pretty much a dive also, but still kicking! Going West I always wanted to get past San Simone, so I would shoot for the Triple T in Tucson.....Doug
By wayne graham - Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:06 AM
Doug, About two months ago I went to Calexico and Road Forks was closed. We used to take a lot of mining equip to Douglas so you know where we camped. Wayne
By Doug Blevins - Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:28 AM
Wayne, my Grand Parents had a big ranch on the border near Douglas. When I was born, my Mom was thinking of names, and my Grand fathers name was Jack, and since they lived near Douglas, she named me "Douglas Jack" so now in the words of Paul Harvey, you know.... "the rest of the story".........Doug
By 66dt - Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:06 PM
Always liked to stop on top of the rock when they would let trucks in the overlook or parking lot whatever you want to call it really a pretty sight at night looking over at the lights and water.And yes the ole Cherokee is gone part of the building still there but last time I was there it was a used car lot guess Grover decided it was time to quit. Found a couple of new key rings from there just the other day have to hang on the wall for a conversation piece ha,ha.
By FBHOMER - Friday, December 03, 2010 6:54 AM
PeterJ if you let your brain run backwards too much you will strip your blower drive LOL!

On 13 hwy from Kansas City to Spring field,remember the R & S Truckstop in Collins? Had the fly strips hanging everywhere from the ceiling?
By Catless - Friday, December 03, 2010 9:22 AM
I used to stop at Oran's truck stop on 27 N.,  Eubank Ky., it was old and outdated in 95 and if I had a scanner I could post a pic of the menu they were useing at that time that had pictures of the place from the 70's on the cover. 
By jturner26201 - Saturday, December 04, 2010 4:17 AM
       how about ronnys in spring tx .north of houston
By Doug Blevins - Saturday, December 04, 2010 4:38 AM
A couple more oldies in NM off the beaten path, Woody's truckstops one in Vaughn NM, and one in Roswell NM, have an old NM transporter mag I can scan with ads for them, the one in Vaughn is no longer there, but the one in Roswell is still in operation, ate dinner there a couple years ago when I was pulling a Tanker for High Country, Food was good, service was great, just like the old diner truckstops of the past, not like the "flying hook", or Petro's of today!.....Doug 
By Lmackattack - Sunday, December 05, 2010 3:46 AM
speaking of truck stops. I had to take a Auto van and 20' trailer down to Indy yesterday morning (midnight) before the snow storm came. Well got to indy and saw that it needed some air in the right front steer tire.(found a screw in it) I stopped at just about every truck stop on I65 and not one of them had an air hose for use. not even in the auto fuel up aeras. On to I-294- went to all 4 rest aeras and all air pumps were out of service? who maintaines these places anymore?
By Robby359 - Sunday, December 05, 2010 5:16 AM
That don't suprise me a bit. I've noticed up that way IF they ever had a air hose or water hose at the pumps they all get put up before winter sets in. I've had that same problem in the past. Had to go in the garage at the Petro at the 201 and ask to borrow a hose. Luckily it was in the middle of the night and the only guy there didn't argue about it.
By Bill White - Sunday, December 05, 2010 7:45 AM
That is why I put a connector for a air hose and a longhose in each truck then we could air our own with out looking for the elusive air hose. they like to sell us fuel make us pump it and make us wash our windows and search for the air hose. The old days you pulled up to the pump and they did it all. and they where happy to have our business.
By ColoradoGreen - Sunday, December 05, 2010 9:12 AM
Grandpa Hochstetler (11/30/2010)
Johnsons, made famous by their HUGE AND DELICIOUS breakfast rolls.  I have a son close to there, so make it a habit to stop.

Still absolutely massive, too. Last time I stopped it was about 10 inches across and 5-inches tall. That is a cinnamon roll by any measure!

Troy.
By Doug Blevins - Sunday, December 05, 2010 5:30 PM
Bill White (12/5/2010)
That is why I put a connector for a air hose and a longhose in each truck then we could air our own with out looking for the elusive air hose. they like to sell us fuel make us pump it and make us wash our windows and search for the air hose. The old days you pulled up to the pump and they did it all. and they where happy to have our business.

Bill, the Giant truck stop at Jamestown NM still had fuel jock's up untill Pilot bought them out 5-6 years ago. They would fuel your truck, and wash your windows, also check your tires if you asked! The old Bluewater truckstop in Bluewater NM had fuel jocky's till they closed down in early 90's......Doug
By Lmackattack - Sunday, December 05, 2010 7:56 PM
yea all my trucks (including company trucks) have air fittings and hose to reach all tires.  I will admit that I did stop at a Petro once looking for a radiator hose. They did not have the one  I needed but the mechanic was nice and gave me a lift into town to get one ( he was going there for parts anyways) this was at Exit 310 in lariamie WY. I remember this because a few months before I had to stop at the same exit and went across the street from the petro to Sage Brush Field service. I needed a 3406E block to air compressor water hose repaired.  they were very helpfull as well and made me a new hose with the correct bent end fittings.  The Guy also put in some hot injector codes I wanted for $100. said if I did not like the new codes to come back and will put in the stock codes with a full refund... (codes worked good)  
By kristin jarrell - Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:16 AM
My Uncle owned Jarrells Truck Plaza and The Big John Trimble Show was broadcasted from there.  I met him.
By kristin jarrell - Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:27 AM
tomchristopher71 (12/1/2010)
AT64F (11/30/2010)

Anthony

I've always known it as Jarrell's Truck Plaza. Don't know about the Big John Trimble broadcast though, I'd have to ask my dad about it.
By Bill Conrad - Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:29 PM
Any one know what happened to all the photos on the wall of the trucks at the pumps at the Dixie truck stop in Mclean, Il? Last time I was there they had been taken down.
By wayne graham - Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:58 AM
Bill, haven't been in there for a while but will stop and ask. As far as I know they are still the hall of fame for the RT66 guys. I have heard about maybe new owners. I think they closed part od the parking lot for a while last fall so I was afraid Pilot might be taking over but they don't want restaurants or big parking lots. If the diaper gang bought it all history will be gone but I don't know anything for sure. Will let you know if I learn anything. Wayne
By 359er - Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:05 AM
A couple in Michigan, Snowsnake Truckstop US127 at Lk George exit RAZED. Ellis Oasis Truckstop at M59 and US23 RAZED. Only memories left, so sad.
By Bill Conrad - Thursday, March 24, 2011 2:19 PM
Thanks Wayne. I used to stop there alot from 73 to about 83 hauled pallets to the Windy City and that was one of our 'check chains' stop.

First trip in a truck, just got hired by Hubble Metals in St Louis, Mo They put me in a coe Ford with a 318 with the Dispatcher and we were to meet a Gadsden, AL driver at Johnson's in Chattanooga and switch trailers. We got there at 2:50 pm the other driver got there at 2: 55 pm switched trailers went in had a quick cuppa joe and hit the road. Only time I ever stopped there. That was March of 73. loooong ago.
By trnstrtrk - Friday, March 25, 2011 3:36 PM
Does anyone know the history of the two Shacks Truck Stops in Florida? One was on US 1/23/301 just south of the GA/FL state lines the other on US 19 south of Old Town.

The building remains standing along side US 19. Only a truck repair shed was left on US 1 a few years ago. Both were on the right side of the highways if headed north.
By Eddy Lucast - Saturday, March 26, 2011 2:09 AM
Bill Conrad (3/23/2011)
Any one know what happened to all the photos on the wall of the trucks at the pumps at the Dixie truck stop in Mclean, Il? Last time I was there they had been taken down.

Bill,

I've been meaning to stop and ask. I usually try  to stop there on my way through.
By John_Costley - Saturday, March 26, 2011 2:21 AM
tomchristopher71 (11/29/2010)
Here are two ads that I recently scanned from some Late 1970s/Early 80s Overdrive magazines that my dad sent to me. I've been to White's Truckstop as well as the one in Doswell(Across from King's Dominion) as I grew up in Va. There was also a 76 truckstop in BreezeWood, PA that my dad always stopped when I rode with him back in the late 70/early 80s. It was still open in the early 1990s but I don't know if it's still there today. If you ever get to Bangor, Maine make sure you stop at Dysarts Truckstop, it is a modern truckstop with the old appeal including good food and semi clean bathrooms. 

Dysarts is probably one of the oldest around thats still owned by the same family and still run with a personal feel to it.John

http://dysarts.com/

http://www.dysartstransportation.com/history.php
By newfie-trucker - Saturday, March 26, 2011 4:14 AM
John is buzzy hascoms still going there in nh?
By RobBalfour - Saturday, March 26, 2011 4:50 AM
Buzzy's is still operating.They still pump the fuel for you and I think you can still eat a green hotdog there. :P
By John_Costley - Saturday, March 26, 2011 11:39 AM
Newfie,

Like Rob said, Buzzy's is still open and still has green hot dogs,lol.Tough to get to right now, the drawbridge has been at a 3 ton limit for a year or more, really putting a crimp on Buzzy's buiseness but the diehards are still going in.Howell's, on the Maine side of the bridge, has been an Irvings for 5-6 years now.Tore the original building down and redid the whole lot, including the hill.Wouldnt recognize it now.John
By wayne graham - Sunday, March 27, 2011 6:35 AM
Bill, I stopped atDIXIE in Mc Lean Ill. I asked about the pictures. they said people were getting the show case doors open and taking the pictures. The lady said they have them all upstairs in large photo albums for safe keeping. If we wanted to do something like making an album or book or whatever I am sure they would be receptive to the idea. They just don't want to lose what took a long time to acquire and cannot be replaced. Wayne
By Eddy Lucast - Sunday, March 27, 2011 6:55 AM
Wayne,

There was several hundred photos on the wall display. I wonder how many photos they have. I'm betting we could find a color scanner to scan them, and post them here for all to see. If they have a web site, they must, we can provide them with a copy of the photo gallery on DVD for their web site. Can you ask? 
By rigandig - Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:02 AM
Wayne

Dixie TS, If walls could talk!!

John,

T/A in Breezewood was still open the last I knew. The Bitner family bought it some years  back, before it was a T/A, made all the changes, and last I knew they still owned it. I haven't been thru there in a while. James Bitner told my wife and I that they sold more fuel per day at that facility than anywhere in the country. Location,Location, I guess

Whites, founded by Mr Fisk, was sold by his daughter to the owner of Le Hi (just down the road in Lexington) not to long ago. That happened just prior to all the re-construction that took place in the restaurant area. The large store/travel center out front was not part of that deal, but heard that a deal was in the making for that part of the facility too.

Le Hi is one of the few places that will still fill your tanks and clean your windows. And can accomodate large loads.
By wayne graham - Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:09 AM
Eddy, I am so ILLITERATE about this electronic stuff that I could really mess it up. However I will get you a contact so we don't have too many fingers in the pie.HA-HA. Wayne  PS you are correct those pictures are golden and definitely need to be preserved and presented for all.
By wayne graham - Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:24 AM
Larry, my favorite memory of the Dixie- A friend and I both taught our wives to drive truck the same night. Unbeknown we both pulled int

o the Dixie at the same time for fuel . no c-b back then. Since neither of us had slept in a long time we decided to teach the girls so we got them out onto 66 and they got behind the wheel. I would sleep on the dog-house till the next red light. By the time we got to Joliet my wife could shift. What a night and what a memory. We had a 4070 with 250 and 10 speed. they had a astro with a 238. we were taking beer to the windy and they were taking hogs to detroit. Yes Larry if the walls could talk maybethey could tell me where the last 40 years have gone. Wayne
By rigandig - Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:37 AM
Wayne,

I had a good laugh with that one. I know you told your wife to make sure they stayed in back with that load of pork. LOL

Used to be "Tha Place".  I remember having a Policeman chased me for miles into the Dixie one winter. I had a Manitowoc Crane on and he felt(strongly I might add) that I should not be out trucking when I was taking up the entire roadway. There had been a blizzard move thru days before and they had opened the roads with blowers. But there was absolutlely no shoulder to be found from Joliet to Dixie. Just vertical snow walls on both sides of the road. No sense of humor at all. That would have been maybe 75/76.
By KeithC - Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:37 AM
I always chose Lee Hi over Whites because of the restaurant at Whites wasn't up to par with Lee Hi's food, kind of ironic if Bobby now owns both places, maybe Whites will finally be up to what it once was.

I always stopped at the Gateway in Breezewood, when T/A took it over I stopped there only for a place to park and sleep, once the old building and restaurant were torn down, I never stepped foot in the restaurant again, I'd go in the store and get a cup of coffee to go and that was it.
I only stopped at the 76 in Breezewood once or twice in 20 years, didn't like it much. Now that it's a Petro I know I won't be stopping again anytime soon.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the old Penn Can at Harford PA in this thread yet, I can remember stopping there as a kid riding with my Dad, it hasn't changed much over the years, but it's still one of the best stops on 81 before you get into NY. Back in the day they sold treated diesel and I almost always tried to plan out my fuel stops so I could put some in at Harford, the truck always had a little extra for the hills after a fill up...:Whistling: I guess I'm partial to the truck stop, it was built the same year as I was....LOL

By wayne graham - Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:49 AM
Larry, remember that snowstormwell. that is the one where the guy in Ohio lived in a crackerbox for 5 days buried in snow before they found him. my personal experience in that one was in Carlisle Pa in a R model Mack. Still trying to forget that deal. Wayne
By skeeter - Sunday, March 27, 2011 7:59 AM
last time I was up there... the gateway was decent place to eat....  the petro left a little to be desired.... honeycutt's  in lucama was a great stop...   all of buildings gone now...  loved to have saved the walls in the head...  contained the history of the world via truckstop poets...   
By BBRADMV - Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:10 AM
Wayne, is this the one you were thinking about?

Overdrive March 1978
By Bill Conrad - Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:54 AM
Wayne, Thanks for the update on the Dixie pictures. I had heard that the pictures had been saved but didn't know the details, it would be great to save them on here.
By wayne graham - Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:58 AM
Brad, Yes that is the one. Don't know why I thought it was a crackerbox. CRS and alzheimers are going to get the best of me. Wayne
By Eddy Lucast - Sunday, March 27, 2011 9:34 AM
wayne graham (3/27/2011)
CRS and alzheimers are going to get the best of me.

Don't worry my wifes trying to convince me alzheimers is going to be an adventure, just not sure where! She keeps saying something about stopping over and over at these places I won't stop when we travel. LOL