General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Truck & Transportation History

Home Search Tags

Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Costley, 15. Dec 2004 02:58

Posted By Eddy Lucast Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:24 AM
Add to Favorites0
Vcecil
 Posted Friday, October 11, 2019 10:46 PM

. - (15 reputation). - (15 reputation). - (15 reputation). - (15 reputation). - (15 reputation). - (15 reputation). - (15 reputation). - (15 reputation). - (15 reputation)

Group: Forum User
Last Active: Friday, October 11, 2019 10:41 PM
This is a 79 long hood gold nugget
 received_2534927556543027.jpeg (79 views, 126.54 KB)
 received_393036614960402.jpeg (72 views, 62.27 KB)
 received_2538498522839938.jpeg (71 views, 120.38 KB)
Eddy Lucast
 Posted Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:24 AM

. - (235,318 reputation). - (235,318 reputation). - (235,318 reputation). - (235,318 reputation). - (235,318 reputation). - (235,318 reputation). - (235,318 reputation). - (235,318 reputation). - (235,318 reputation)

Group: Forum User
Last Active: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:19 AM
Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Costley, 15. Dec 2004 02:58
View ( Messsage | Thread ) Previous discussion thread Next discussion thread
Hey guys, I brought this up before but does anyone have any pics,adverts, or brochures on the Gold nugget edition Kenworths ?.Ive seen two in person years ago, a W900A with 36" bunk and a K100 Aerodyne, but in all the places Ive been on the net,including hours at Hank's, Ive never seen a pic of these in conventional or COE.I always thought the color combo was beautiful and its my favorite KW paint scheme.For those that dont recognize the name they were black with gold & brown stripes and had a custom interior.There was also a small decal that pictured a prospector knealing with a gold pan along with the words " gold nugget special ",if I remember right..I would just like to have a pic if anyone has one they could post.Still looking for turnpike special,turnpike cruiser, and 12V71 info too.I promise I wont bother anyone by asking again after this,unless this gets archived immediatly,LOL.Thanks,John.
Previous discussion thread Next discussion thread

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., Doug Maney, 15. Dec 2004 04:46
There is a company about 6 miles from my house that up until about 5 years ago owned nothing but KW's painted in the Gold Nugget scheme. Since then they have replaced the design with the white with gold swirls scheme. I'll drve by and see if they have any sitting out. They do have 1 original W-900 extended hood, I've never seen it out of the building. I try to get some photos and post them. Doug

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Costley, 15. Dec 2004 04:53
Doug,Thanks alot.That long hood that never goes outside sounds interesting.Maybe you should ask if he is a member and if not,sign him up.Could be a good story behind it.Youll have to take along an issue of WOT in case he isnt a member,LOL.Thanks again,John.

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., Doug Maney, 15. Dec 2004 15:59
Drove by there earlier today, there were acouple of later models with the Gold Nugget paint job. I didn't get back by there in time today to get any photos. I should be able to get out there later this week and I'l try to get a photo of the extended. Doug

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Costley, 15. Dec 2004 18:20
Doug,Thanks alot,John.

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., Nicholas Thomas, 15. Dec 2004 18:43
Go to www.McDermidcorp.com/trucks.htm. They have a W900 Gold Nugget special for sale. It's pretty cool. Personally I'd love to see pictures of a longhood. Largecarmag.com has a Pete painted like one on their website, but you have to be a subsciber to access it. It has the cool paint job and gold diamond tuck interior with cream coloered buttons. Very coool!

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Hanson, 15. Dec 2004 18:49
Thanks Nicholas! I've never seen one of those before... not too far from the colors I want on my narrow nose.
John H.

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., Christian M. Budke, 15. Dec 2004 18:58
I' ve never seen that one either. John, that sceme would look sweet on your "new" needle nose! I like the slick little miner graphic, too.
Catch ya'll on the flip side!
Christian

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., Nicholas Thomas, 15. Dec 2004 19:00
I know most of you guys don't like the newer stuff (me either) but the Largecar.com has a good picture article with the same design on a Pete 379. The guy who owns it also has an original W900 A Long hood he is restoring. I hope they will eventually show the picture of it when its finished. That website has many 359 Pete's(my favorite) and occassionally Extended hood W900 A KW's(2nd favorite).Take a look, back issues are free to look at! These are the trucks I grew up with in the 80's and the ones I always wanted to own. Got the x-hood 359, after I finish restoring it, I'll find an A-model.

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Costley, 15. Dec 2004 19:04
Nicholas,Im with you.Older than '79 is an antique and old is a matter of perspective,LOL.Thanks for the back issue info,John.

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Costley, 15. Dec 2004 19:00
Nicholas,WOW.Thanks,thats just like the '79 that my boss almost bought me back in '87,except on that one the stripes went up on the bunk and the bottom was black.That was a nice memory nicholas,thanks,John.

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., jim k tomer, 16. Dec 2004 02:35
is the;;;golden nugget;;; the same as the golden anniversary?.......i must be ;;;off base;;[as usuale] ......the anniversary was i thought before 81?....the 81 was [ i thought] the last year for the A model.......[you could order either A or the first B models]....jim k tomer

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Costley, 16. Dec 2004 03:52
Jim,I think they were two different models.The first Gold Nugget that I saw was a '77 or '78 K100 aerodyne with a 1693 that belonged to a guy from ohio that hauled auto parts.His CB handle was " rachethead "I was suprised that a truck that new had a 1693 and he explained that '79 was the last year that 1693s were availible and he wanted to order his before they were gone.I saw him a year later and he was driving his old K100 that he hadnt traded on the aero because he owned it outright.Good thing I guess because the Gold Nugget had gone on its side in deep snow in the median strip shortly after I saw him the first time and had ended up a " bodyshop hostage" due to arguements with the insurance company.I never did see him again after that so who knows what happened to that one.The second one was a '79 W900A with a 36" bunk,400 dita cat with a 15 over and 4:11s on 8 bag.Almost Identicle to the one in Nicholas's ad.It was on the lot in '87 at the local Pete dealer and I wanted it bad,LOL but the Boss couldnt swing it.I've heard its hauling a dump trailer in the Boston area but Ive never seen it.Both of these trucks had the " prospector" stickers from the add on them.They had a special interior and the steering wheel,If I remember right, was brown leather instead of the normal black and the three spokes and horn button were gold.I saw this same wheel in another A model that was blue with siver and gold stripes and it was a special eddition but I dont know which one,Could be an anniversary.Ive seen W900As up to 1984.In '85 they were gone and '85 was also the first year for sqaure headlights in K100s I think.John.

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Hanson, 16. Dec 2004 09:21
Jim,
They told me that my '75 was a "silver jubilee" model at Roberts when I contacted them (they sold it new to Al Foglio), and it had a swan with lighted wings on the hood when it left the dealer. I took it into a shop in Kalispell and the first thing the guy did when I wasn't there was grab the wings and try to tilt the hood by them, so they went away. You can see what's left on the nose here in this pic.
John H.

Attachments
turnaroundview.jpg (117.73 KB)

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Costley, 16. Dec 2004 09:24
John,Do you have any pics or a description.The name sounds familiar but I cant picture the paint job,thanks,John

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Woge, 16. Dec 2004 09:39
The golden anniversary was 1973. They changed to the newer style logos and nameplates that year and used a gold plating of some kind on them (for 73) . We had two of them. John

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Hanson, 16. Dec 2004 09:57
This one was originally a sort of purple or maroon, with gold striping in the KW standard style. It was already red when I bought it. After reading John Woge's message, I'm wondering if it was the dealership's silver aniversary they were talking about?? I do know they are about the oldest KW dealer.
John H.
PS.. sorry it took so long to get the pic up... had a customer come in.

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Costley, 16. Dec 2004 10:03
John,Thats a heck of view,Too bad about the damage.Its amazing how people do things without thinking,John.

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Hanson, 16. Dec 2004 10:10
That pic was taken sitting in one of our better turn around spots. This one was level where ya sat at least, but the country around it was a bit steep. That's why we wind up backing up a few miles at a time quite often.
The guy that broke the hood ornament was a real jerk about it.. said it didn't look good on the truck anyway, and was just arguing about it, and I could see there wouldn't be any replacement coming from that shop, so I just packed my stuff and left. His Dad eventually screwed me out of a big bunch of money on an airplane deal... ohwell.. their day will someday come...
John H.

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., Leslie, 16. Dec 2004 10:21
It's a sure thing that you would need those wings if you went any further ahead in that pic..Les

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Hanson, 16. Dec 2004 17:13
That one wasn't too bad, Les.... you only had to back up about 6 times to get it around.. some of them are tight enough that you have to back up about 20 times, going lock to lock.. get's tiring... so if there's a better one down the road a few miles, it's faster to just back in all the way! haha...and alot of times the crew has pickups and stuff parked right where we need to turn around, so ya get to move all that before you can even start to crank it around. Normally, I'd hang the butt of the truck out over the bank, as that way you gain a few feet and get turned around a bit better, but that one had a bunch of big rocks that the frame just cleared, so we just turned around this way. One thing about it, you remember to keep the brakes set up, and don't get in a hurry when it's dark and raining or snowing!
John H.

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., Leslie, 16. Dec 2004 21:53
John , I spent a few years building logging roads, running loaders and driving gravel trucks. There were days we never did turn around, just drive up to the old 80 D Northwest, get loaded and back up to spread cat.One thing about driving off highway you pretty well know what the other guy is going to do in most situations, not like on the big road where you share the road with a lot of people that would be better off staying home......if you know what i mean........Les

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., jim k tomer, 17. Dec 2004 01:30
so the golden anniversary is in 73[like i had thought ].......and the gold nugget was 81? and 81 only?..........jim k tomer

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., jim k tomer, 16. Dec 2004 02:20
my ,,,bud,, at the parts counter at the local kw dealer worked at the factory in the 70;s......he knows abought all these ;;;1 offs;;; but he dont remember production no;s........he does however vividly remember the pickup trucks [2] that kw built....back then...1 was a stake side....anouther was a pu that was built for a retiring ...big wig;;;.....he thinks they are both under cover in the seattle area.....the only one he remembers well are the ...libertys.....and he says that i presently own the only 1 he knows of[he does remember the original owner and when it showed up at the anchorage store]....he told me he would look into the others....i think i remember 1 onna the gold nuggets also......dont remember were i saw it though.......jim k tomer

Re: Kenworth gold nugget info ?., John Costley, 16. Dec 2004 03:57
Jim,A freind of mine had an '85 liberty,W900B with 60" flat top.He bought it as a five year old and no one made a big deal out of it back then.He wishes he still had it now.You could restore that one youve got before its an antique,LOL.john.

Eddy Lucast

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com

man with wooden truck should be wary of "truck whisperer" with torch