General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Truck & Transportation History

Home Search Tags

IH Paystar 5000, Richard, 22. Dec 2005 13:15

Posted By Eddy Lucast Monday, February 11, 2008 9:55 AM
Add to Favorites1
PZ 1
 Posted Friday, July 26, 2019 4:07 PM
ATHS Member

ATHS Member - (26,516 reputation)ATHS Member - (26,516 reputation)ATHS Member - (26,516 reputation)ATHS Member - (26,516 reputation)ATHS Member - (26,516 reputation)ATHS Member - (26,516 reputation)ATHS Member - (26,516 reputation)ATHS Member - (26,516 reputation)ATHS Member - (26,516 reputation)

Group: Forum User
Last Active: Yesterday @ 1:01 PM
If you do some web searching there are a few IH and old truck sites that may be of help.

35 year member
POWERSTROKE
 Posted Thursday, July 04, 2019 11:31 AM

. - (4,545 reputation). - (4,545 reputation). - (4,545 reputation). - (4,545 reputation). - (4,545 reputation). - (4,545 reputation). - (4,545 reputation). - (4,545 reputation). - (4,545 reputation)

Last Active: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 3:47 AM
Wikipedia says the Paystars had 3208's in the lighter duty models, and 400 Cummins in the larger heavy-duty versions.
Thursday, July 04, 2019 11:37 AM by POWERSTROKE
Llastres
 Posted Friday, May 31, 2019 11:46 PM

. - (51 reputation). - (51 reputation). - (51 reputation). - (51 reputation). - (51 reputation). - (51 reputation). - (51 reputation). - (51 reputation). - (51 reputation)

Last Active: Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:51 AM
Hello, I am new in the Forum, let me introduce myself. If this is not the adeccuate post, please indicate me.

Hello, I email you from Asturies, Spain - Europe. My English is not very good, I hope you can understand me

My brother and me are the owners of a Paystar 5000 model 1974, spanish number plate O-2714-G

In those years in Spain there were almost only spanish made trucks (Pegaso and Barreiros) and very few imported trucks. A local firm imported a number of Paystar and Transtar and my father bougth one, although the Price whas double of a spanish similar truck

The truck was adquired new by our father in 1974 and registered in january 1975, I was 8 years old and I remember very well the day my father arrived home with the new truck

Originally it cames with a Cummins VT903 350 Cv, Fuller 13 and Rockwell single rear axle and 5 lugs Dayton Wheel ends.

In july 1975 the engine “explode”, anoter trucker who was behind saw the butterfly's nose elevate in the middle of the road and he must to brake to dont pass over the rest of the pieces of the engine.

The VT903 was not a engine appropiete for a very hilly area as is Northern Spain, engineers from Cummins came to see the engine, analize Spanish oil, and the conclusion was that the 903 was a short stroke engine not good for a constant gear road and the reccomend to install a Cummins N855 280 Cv in guarantee.

Two years later broke the rear axle and my father install a Barreiros double reduction rear axle.

In 1981 the engine begin with a connecting rod noise, a crane was to load the truck for repair shop but has the “winch” not operative, and the driver start the engine to load the Paystar over the ramps and in the middle of the ramps a connecting rod go out the block. In 1982 the “Peseta” was very cheap respect to Dollar and was no posible to by anothe Cummins.

So my father bough an engine Pegaso, 12 liter, 6 cilinders 310 Cv, incredibly it was very easy to install a spanish engine in an american Hood truck and IS THE ENGINE IS STILL IN THE TRUCK TODAY.

My father personally drove the truck between 1982 and 1990, he made a 400 Km route every day, and when in Spain in the end 80’s the motorway was constructed, it was no more posible continue with that truck because his average speed whas 60 Km/h and also his life with 15 years was in his end.

He sales in 1991 and was adquired by a man who has a “fair atraction” (I think is the name) a small trailer with a shoot shop or similar.

My brother and me always kneew where the truck where (at 300 km of our city) and from a very few years after my father sell we always thougth to rebuy.

My father passed away 5 years ago and finally 2 months ago we could rebuy the truck, the fair man retire and his songs dont like the Paystar and don't know how to gear a 13 Fuller.

Now we are begining the restoration and we need help, mainly documentation and also parts, in Spain still remains 5 or 6 Paystars, but there are like mine, for restoration and with no parts avalaible

I think in EEUU is posible to find parts (Fuel reservoirs, funnel, ligths) but I dont know where.

If you can help me indicating where to buy parts (new or second hand) I give you tank you

In send you some pictures

2019.jpeg (177 views, 189.49 KB)
 Unmounting.jpeg (167 views, 205.93 KB)
 1988.jpeg (174 views, 195.09 KB)
Thursday, June 06, 2019 6:34 PM by Llastres
Eddy Lucast
 Posted Monday, February 11, 2008 9:55 AM

. - (233,494 reputation). - (233,494 reputation). - (233,494 reputation). - (233,494 reputation). - (233,494 reputation). - (233,494 reputation). - (233,494 reputation). - (233,494 reputation). - (233,494 reputation)

Last Active: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:19 AM
IH Paystar 5000, Richard, 22. Dec 2005 13:15
View ( Messsage | Thread ) Previous discussion thread Next discussion thread
Stopped to check out a Paystar 5000 today --a single axle dump 4x4. The owner wasn't around and I didn't want to mess about too much. Noticed it had duals under the frame (no stacks), so I first thought it was a gas job. But when I looked into the cab (that's a climb) I noticed a sticker on the dash "Use starting fluid for cold weather starts". Probably a Diesel, right? But which one? What's your guess? The truck has current Historic plates on it and I don't think it is for sale, but then??? It most likely started life as a state or county truck as it has a plow hook-up on the front.
Previous discussion thread Next discussion thread

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Terry Tombaugh, 22. Dec 2005 19:37
Just hazarding a guess, but I would say it is an 8V71 or 6V. I towed a simular Paystar (4X4) that was a mobile home toter typically used to move the homes to private property/remote locations and set in. A car had pulled out in front of him and he rolled it. Flattened the roof and slid the A & B pillars straight back so the roof was at hood level, knocked off a bunch of tool boxes and other custom items, but they chose to fix it as they felt they would never find another truck that fit their needs so well. Your right about the climb. It is a long way up, and when you are going straight down thru the windshield to release the air brake valve with all the grab handles knocked off it gets even more interesting!
T.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Richard, 23. Dec 2005 05:54
Probably is a DD V something. Looked under it to see if anything was Detroit green, and it was oil covered, so that is a good a sign as green paint!! It could well be a 6 V 53 as it seems to me that trucks sold to state/county, etc. governments are often spec'd rather , well, different. I was just wondering if anyone knew what were the engine options for this truck.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Aaron, 23. Dec 2005 06:40
There was a guy around here that had one of those as a water truck I believe it had a 671 in it, boy he was always in the way with that.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Richard, 23. Dec 2005 08:28
Aaron, explain few "left coast" things for me, please. !. Why do buyers in CA often have to pay some sort of "back taxes" or whatever for an truck that has been unlicensed for a few years. 2.Why and where are you water haulers hauling water?? In my area, water haulers only work in the summer hauiling water to swimming pools.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Lee W. Haeberlein, 23. Dec 2005 14:33
I am a "left coaster" and will try to explain why you have to pay back tax before you can registrar a vehicle that has been setting. It seems that some people will not buy a current sticker for a vehicle because of: 1. lack of insurance, 2. vehicle cannot pass the smog test, 3. owner owes back State income tax, 3. Owner has no driver's license, 4. Owner owes child support and 5, Owner has bench warrants all tracable through a driver's license number. When the state of CA sends you a notice that your sticker is due, it clearly states that if you do not plan on driving the vehicle, you must pay a smaller fee for letting it set (called a non-op fee). If you get caught on the street without the current sticker, the fine is big but the chance of getting caught is slight unless you get caught in a moving violation, get in an accident or caught in a ramdom stop for drinking, or ransom stop for emissions. Some vehicle owners will take their chances or will steal other people's sticker and put it on their own vehicle so the chances of getting stoped on the street are even less. When you finally sell the vehicle, the State of CA will require you to pay up any back fees or taxes you owe. If the owner does not pay up, the new owner will have to do it.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Dennis Wells, 23. Dec 2005 15:55
Most Equipment Rental Co rent water trucks for construction, Earth compaction dust control. Water trucks including Aaron are used for Fighting Forest Fires.

Dennis Wells AKA Smiley

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Aaron, 24. Dec 2005 21:43
Richard, I have a few I haul water to that their wells go dry before the rains, I also have one that is landscape tanks on the National Guard property at one of the camps, some luinitic got the bright idea of wasting tax payer dollors trying to vegatate some old gold mine tailing runs, as it has not rained here yet I still have a few customers.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Richard, 25. Dec 2005 09:54
I forgot that there are parts of the Golden State that don't get rain for months on end. Not so, of course, here in the East, where we get "rain deliveries" on a regular basis throughout the year.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Geoff Weeks, 23. Dec 2005 07:56
How about a 903 Cummins???

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Richard, 23. Dec 2005 08:24
Hadn't thought about a 9 oh nothing. All I saw was the duals running down the below the frame rails, so I knew it was a V something.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, MORGAN HEATON, 23. Dec 2005 10:12
did cummins have the 555 at that time? could be that motor.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Richard, 23. Dec 2005 11:17
Yes, I think the "Triple Nickel" was around in the 1970's --- Another possibility!

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Bob Bray, 23. Dec 2005 12:33
Maybe it has a DVT-573 or worse yet a V-800 in it. I hope it doesn't for your sake, anyway!

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Richard, 23. Dec 2005 13:59
I know what the DV 573 was --a BIG DOG, but what was the V800??

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Bob Bray, 23. Dec 2005 23:38
An even bigger dog! It was a larger V-8, 800 cubes, 300-350 h.p.. Wasn't around long, had some durability issues.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Leslie, 23. Dec 2005 14:20
I drove a couple 6v53"s and they both had 3" pipes, that may be a clue.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Mike Harbison, 23. Dec 2005 19:55
When I was working at the local Mack dealer back in high school,one of the local ready mix companys brought in a Paystar for service,it had a 3208 in it.

Re: IH Paystar 5000, Richard, 24. Dec 2005 05:45
Looks as if you could get just about any engine in the Paystar. I'll have to go by it again after the holidays to see just what engine is in it.

Eddy Lucast

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com

man with wooden truck should be wary of "truck whisperer" with torch