General Discussion     Tech Questions     Parts & Services     Suggestions/Ideas     Help & Website Instructions     Blogs    

Truck & Transportation History

Home Search Tags

Break Procedure in for 855 Cummins Rebuild

Posted By Ol' Kenny Wednesday, December 05, 2018 7:34 AM
Add to Favorites0
Ol' Kenny
 Posted Wednesday, December 05, 2018 7:34 AM

. - (1,234 reputation). - (1,234 reputation). - (1,234 reputation). - (1,234 reputation). - (1,234 reputation). - (1,234 reputation). - (1,234 reputation). - (1,234 reputation). - (1,234 reputation)

Group: Forum User
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Guys,

I am working on the final assembly for my Small Cam 855 and wanted to get some tips on a proper break in procedure. It has undergone a complete out of frame rebuild including new pistons and liners, reman heads, reman injectors, fuel pump rebuild, turbo rebuild, machined counterbores, polished crank and cam, etc. It's pretty much a brand new engine and I want to make sure it gets broken in properly. Also, how many hours/miles until the first oil change after a break in? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Newto
 Posted Wednesday, December 05, 2018 8:44 AM

. - (712 reputation). - (712 reputation). - (712 reputation). - (712 reputation). - (712 reputation). - (712 reputation). - (712 reputation). - (712 reputation). - (712 reputation)

Group: Forum User
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Ol' Kenny,

The preferred method because of the keystone top ring has always been to get a load onto the engine as soon as possible so as to get combustion gas in behind the rings to force them out against the liner wall.

When I worked for Cummins that meant every in frame rebuild spent 15 to 20 minutes on the chassis dyne cycling up and back from 1/2 load to full load.

When I had my own shop and no dyno we would hook up to an old loaded trailer that had concrete blocks on it and go work it up an incline not far from our shop, making it rev and getting the turbo boost up.

I've found its always worked to load the engine up asap,dont lug it & don't pussy foot around and be gentle with it, drive it hard like you hate it.....lol.

As for oil change.....matter of opinion but usually around 5,000 miles for an out of frame.If it was a real clean shop with spotless engine rebuild facilities you can go a bit further.

First oil change is not that critical...just use premium oil and filters and all should be good.

hope this helps,

Newto